+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal- Personal history 'from' & 'to' dates

Oct 30, 2017
Hi Peeps, A quick question about the dates in the personal history section of PR renewal application (imm5644e).

Example- Let's say I left Canada (flight departure date) on August 01 and arrived in Canada on August 31. Irrespective of the time (morning/noon/evening/night) of arrival and departure; the stay in Canada should be documented from August 02 - August 30 as technically on days of departure and arrival I spend half day?

Secondly, the day of travel and even the next day I could still be in a flight. As the gaps in dates are not allowed can I put 'destination address' for the days spent in flight?

Thank you in advance!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1) Yes, any day partially spent in Canada, even a hypothetical minute, counts as a day in Canada for these purposes. Document it as such.

2) Sure, put the following day as having arrived wherever. If you feel it requires explanation, you could attach a letter of explanation. I don't think it does in most cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: 'JaiShankar-SWM'

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi Peeps, A quick question about the dates in the personal history section of PR renewal application (imm5644e).

Example- Let's say I left Canada (flight departure date) on August 01 and arrived in Canada on August 31. Irrespective of the time (morning/noon/evening/night) of arrival and departure; the stay in Canada should be documented from August 02 - August 30 as technically on days of departure and arrival I spend half day?

Secondly, the day of travel and even the next day I could still be in a flight. As the gaps in dates are not allowed can I put 'destination address' for the days spent in flight?

Thank you in advance!
Using your example you count Aug 1 and Aug 31 as day spent IN Canada. So the away days are only days that you didn't even spend a min in Canada.

So I think you say the stay in Canada should be documented from Aug 02 - Aug 30, you really mean those are your AWAY days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 'JaiShankar-SWM'
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry, I meant to write the stay 'outside' Canada between departure and arrival dates. I totally appreciate both of you for sharing your thoughts. Really helpful. :)

Reactions: YVR123

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
A quick question about the dates in the personal history section of PR renewal application (imm5644e).

Sorry, I meant to write the stay 'outside' Canada between departure and arrival dates. I totally appreciate both of you for sharing your thoughts. Really helpful. :)
NO need to count the days. The PR card application form will do that automatically. Enter the precise date of departure, whether that is 12:01 a.m. or 11:59 p.m. Enter the precise date of arrival, whether that is 12:01 a.m. or 11:59 p.m. The form calculates the number of days outside Canada. And the form can be used for planning purposes, just plug in the dates in a draft. If all dates of travel are entered into the form, it will automatically total the number of days outside Canada.

The key is to get the dates precise. Remember that sitting in the plane on the tarmac is NOT being IN Canada. For example, if the plane lands just before midnight (or was in Canadian airspace before midnight) BUT you do not actually pass through border control until after midnight, the date of arrival is not when the plane landed but the day you actually "entered" Canada upon your application to enter Canada being approved by border control (which might just be the time your arrival is processed at a kiosk).

Even math geniuses should skip the arithmetic, just put in the dates and let the form do the counting.