+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal application fee

toronto2010

Nov 30, 2009
Dear all,
I am applying for a renewal of my PR, and I checked the CIC website for the application process and fee. What I am having difficulty understanding is what is my total. I am a principal applicant and i will be applying for myself and my husband. CIC tells that

Right of Permanent Residence Fee $490.00

and Family Class they have:

Principal applicant $475.00

A family member of the principal applicant who is 22 years of age or older, or is less than 22 years of age and is a spouse or common-law partner $550.00

Does it mean I have to pay right of permanent residence fee 490x 2= 980
Principal applicant= $475
Spouse= $550

Total- $ 2005 ???

I really appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toronto2010 said:
Dear all,
I am applying for a renewal of my PR, and I checked the CIC website for the application process and fee. What I am having difficulty understanding is what is my total. I am a principal applicant and i will be applying for myself and my husband. CIC tells that

Right of Permanent Residence Fee $490.00

and Family Class they have:

Principal applicant $475.00

A family member of the principal applicant who is 22 years of age or older, or is less than 22 years of age and is a spouse or common-law partner $550.00

Does it mean I have to pay right of permanent residence fee 490x 2= 980
Principal applicant= $475
Spouse= $550

Total- $ 2005 ???

I really appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.
Renewal of PR? or Renewal of PR Card. If it is the PR card, the cost is $50 per person.

toronto2010

Nov 30, 2009
Thanks for your reply, PMM.

We are applying for renewing/extending our PR status. from what I understood from the CIC website is we have to pay right of residency fee plus PR extension application fee. Is it right?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I think I am confused.

From the looks of your previous posts, Toronto2010, you moved to (or maybe just planned to move to??) Canada in 2009.

Did you not stay in Canada and therefore think you have lost your PR status?
OR, Did you not come at all and therefore are trying to apply again?

Please clarify a bit on the details so members can give you some informed advice on the fees.

toronto2010

Nov 30, 2009
Hi Allison,
I am in Canada right now, moved here permanently 2 years ago. I have already met 2 year requirement, all I need to do now is to extendrenew my permanent resident status. My card/status expires in July 2012. I decided to apply early because I know it now takes almost 5 months to get my renewal/extension.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Ok, so you are just renewing your card then, because your actual PR status is maintained by meeting the residency obligation (Your PR status does not expire, though it can be revoked).

PMM, in response to your original post, mentioned the cost of renewal of the PR card is $50. So, for you and your husband the total should be $100.

Just be sure that when you submit your renewal applications you both have met the 730 days in Canada rule.

hbic

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
new york
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-jul-2010
AOR Received.
07-dec-2010
File Transfer...
05-apr-2011
Med's Request
20-jul-2011
Med's Done....
03-aug-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-sep-2011
VISA ISSUED...
23-sep-2011
LANDED..........
07-oct-2011
wow! that's kinda confusion!!! as i understand, correct me if im wrong, PR card has validity of 5 years. isn't? so if you landed here in canada in 2009, that means your PR card will still be valid til 2014. i might be wrong, coz i just landed a week ago. and in my confirmation of permanent residence, there is a statement: valid til 2016. so i just thought it was the PR card..

toronto2010

Nov 30, 2009
Thanks, Allison. I actually went to the local CIC office today to confirm my payment and yes, apparently I have to pay only $50 per person. whew! what a relief, i thought i had to pay about $1000 per person for a renewal.

Hbic, we landed in 2007, however, I moved to Canada in December 2009. in december 2011, I will have completed 2 year residency. I am applying now because it takes about 5 months to get the new card.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should wait until December. Technically they are supposed to renew your PR even if you haven't met the 730 days requirement yet but still could within the first 5 years but applying in that situation increases the odds of them doing a residency questionnaire, that means an added year of waiting for your PR card while they schedule interviews with you and demand proof of the days you have spent in Canada.

toronto2010

Nov 30, 2009
Thanks, Leon. i am applying now because my husband's PR card will expire in February 2012. The strange thing is that even though we applied together (I- as a principal applicant and he as a dependent), he received his card first and mine was lost before it reached me. So, when they reissued me another card the expiration date was different. Anyway, my husband is currently working in the US, but he already has met the 2 year requirement. we are applying now because he frequently travels to Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toronto2010 said:
Thanks, Leon. i am applying now because my husband's PR card will expire in February 2012. The strange thing is that even though we applied together (I- as a principal applicant and he as a dependent), he received his card first and mine was lost before it reached me. So, when they reissued me another card the expiration date was different. Anyway, my husband is currently working in the US, but he already has met the 2 year requirement. we are applying now because he frequently travels to Canada.
Right, so just be prepared that it may happen that you get a residency questionnaire because you haven't spent 730 days yet at the time you apply. I do not know if they look at a married couple applying together as a unit but if so, it might be RQ for you both. If that happens, you would not be seeing a new PR card any time soon.

Another option would be to apply for your husband now because he already meets the requirements and apply for yourself once you do. A third option would be to apply for both of you in December once you both qualify but ask for expedited processing based on travel plans. You would have to show a ticket to prove that you have travel plans.

toronto2010

Nov 30, 2009
Thanks a lot, Leon. I really appreciate your suggestions. I'll follow your suggestion and apply for both of us in December.
Thanks again.