+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR outside of Canada

ikab

Oct 22, 2014
Hi All,

I have read some posts around here, but couldn't find the correct answer, so I would love it if you could help me.

My situation:
I am married to a Canadian citizen, and I have applied & received my PR status approx. 2 years ago.
During a trip to BC, I have got my social insurance card (white with red text), but didn't get any PR card (wasn't told about it, yet I read about it here).

As a general note - I have sent the local embassy an email about 2 years ago that I will have to postpone my move to Canada in 2 years due to work constraints, and I will be living with my wife in Singapore. They have responded that it should be OK and I will not lose my PR status.

That said, I will be moving to Canada in 6 months - should I expect my PR to be revoked by then? Do I need to let anyone know that I'm coming?
I do not wish to get to a situation where I arrive at Canada and I would be told that I can't stay there...

Appreciate your suggestions in advance!
Ika

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Assuming you have proofs that you are accompanying your Canadian wife, you neither have to inform anyone that you are moving there nor your PR status would be revoked.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes make sure to carry proof of your marriage (so marriage certificate) and proof that you have been cohabiting with your spouse while in Singapore (so shared lease agreement or financial accounts). Then just in case anyone challenges you on PR residency obligations, you can show them proof you've been complying with the rules by living with Canadian citizen spouse.

ikab

Oct 22, 2014
Hi Rob & Steaky,

Thank you so much for the answers.
I just have an uncertainty about one thing - I do have all of the documents (joint bank, matching employment passes, lease, etc.) - Do I need to show it to anyone when I get back (immigration office or so)? How do I check if my PR was revoked... or do I just go in to Canada and start living my life? :)

Much appreciated,
Ika

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You won't need to show anything unless you are told to proceed in the secondary inspection after seeing the first border officer you encountered. Just go to Canada and carry on with your life.