+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Landing Experience - February 2024

salamander72

Apr 1, 2023
Hi Everyone

I completed my first landing on 18th February 2024. After a very busy 2 weeks finally got some time to take a step back and recap. I thought it best to write my experience in case it benefits anyone. So here goes:

Background: I applied for PR through the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Express Entry program. I had lodged my application for the first time in November 2021 (after taking the IELTS and getting my WES equivalency). Due the COVID hiatus and consequent backlog, there were minimal/no FSW draws for a year and my application expired in November 2022. I re-entered the pool. Eventually draws resumed, and the score trickled down. I got the ITA in April 2023. Is submitted my application next month in May. Got PPR in October 2023.

Preparing for Landing: Since my COPR was expiring in April 2024, I decided to keep some buffer and decied to land in February. I chose 18th Feb as the date and Toronto as the landing place. Anticipating the cold which would greet me, I bought a nice par of snow boots (best investment ever!), a decent winter jacket, a beanie, and gloves. I also printed out 2 sets of all the documents I had submitted during PR application online. Kept one with me in my hand luggage and the other in the check-in baggage.

Just before final departure: 2-3 days before departure I filled out Forms 186 and 186A for accompanying goods and goods to follow. Since 186 doesn't have enough rows, I used 186A as a continuation for accompanying goods as well. I categorized the goods, and put details in parenthesis. As for values in CAD, I just used educated guesses, erring on the higher side. I also filled out the ArriveCAN app to complete customs declaration.
I booked an appointment with TD bank in Mississauga for 20th February, Tuesday (knowing that 19th Feb was to be a holiday in Ontario)

Landing day: I landed on 18th February 2024 at Toronto Pearson Airport. I was firstly directed to a kiosk where I entered my details and got a receipt showing customs declaration (filling out ArriceCAN probably made this process faster). I then went with this receipt to the immigration counter where the person asked whether I had a COPR and was new immigrant. She then asked me to follow the new immigrant markings on the floor.

Immigration Process: The markings led to another office where there was a short queue. I waited for my turn and then the official asked for my COPR and passport. He asked whether I was a new immigrant, whether there were any changes in my personal circumstances (such as marital status etc.). He didn't ask for Proof of Funds or any other documents. He asked me to write the address where the PR card would be delivered (I gave my friend's address - the official didn't object at all), and then just signed the COPR and made me sign it too. It was quite smooth, and hardly took 10 minutes.​
Customs - I then proceeded to baggage claim area and got my luggage. I entered the customs line and proceeded to the 'Goods to Declare' section. The area was almost emply (no one wants to land in February I guess!) and I went to one of the counters. I showed forms 186 and 186 A to the official and he asked me to write the total value of goods to follow in CAD in another row. I was then asked to wait for a while while he entered the information in the system and created a receipt for the goods to follow. I waited about 15 mintues, whereafter he handed me a document I could use whenever I brought in any of the goods I had listed.​
That was it. It was all fairly quick. I called an uber and went to my airbnb in Mississauga :)

Day 1 after landing - 19th Feb (Monday): This was a public holiday in Ontario, so banks etc. were closed. Luckily, the ServiceCanada office was open, so I went to their office first thing in the morning (walk-in) to get my SIN number. They asked for my passport and COPR, made me fill out a simple form, and then gave me a print-out which had my SIN number on it. There was no queue (I think its best to go early to avoid queues, but wintertime plus general holiday may have helped my case).
I then went to a shopping mall and got a phone line. Now, there was always the confusion of whether a credit card is needed to get one. As far as I understood, you need a credit card if you want to buy a mobile phone on a contract along with a SIM card. But if you have your own phone and just want to get a SIM, no credit card is needed. My case was the latter, so I got a deal from Virgin Plus. 60 GB 5g and unlimited 4g (with hotspot); Unlimited calls and text. For 55 CAD (+ tax).

Day 2 after landing - 20th Feb (Tuesday): Went to TD bank at my appointed time. The banking associate was helpful and explained the newcomers package in detail. As a benefit to newcomers in Canada they give a free premium account (no monthly fees and unlimited free transactions). I also asked for a credit card and she applied for it on the spot. She got approval, but the limit was only 1500 CAD (which was apparently normal for newcomers). She asked for an address where the credit card would be delivered, and I gave my friends address (she didn't object, but offered the option of collecting it from the branch). I got a debit card on the spot.

Day 3 after landing - 21st Feb (Wednesday): Health card Attempt: I went to the ServiceOntario center to apply for my health card. The queue here was a bit longer, but arriving early helped. After about half an hour of waiting my turn came. While I had two of the needed documents (COPR and passport), I did not have a Proof of Ontario Residency. One of the accepted documents was a monthly bank statement, so I had to wat atleast a month before applying.

-----Some other days spent resting, meeting people, some other tasks particular to my situation, preparing for knowledge test for Driving License-----

Day 16 after landing - 5th March 2024 (Tuesday - Today) - After understanding the graduate licensing system of Ontario and preparing for the knowledge test, I went to the drive test center in Mississauga today. It was a bit crowded, but not excessive. I waited for around 45 minutes before my number came up. The official asked me for photo IDs; I gave my passport and Driving License from my previous country of residence (not the same as my home country). I also told her that I wanted to add the year long experience of my license in the application so that I can directly take the G2 road test. She understood and printed out a form. I filled it out (it was quite basic) and signed on another card. She then took a picture and conducted an eye examination (the usual reading letters and identifying blinking lights sort of thing). Then I was directed another room where I took the knowledge test on a touch-screen computer. I passed, and an official gave me the G1 license receipt and instructions on how to book the G2 road test. I booked the road test online through drivetest's website. (Note: the expiry date while booking the road test is simply 5 years from the issue date - IT IS NOT WHAT IS WRITTEN ON THE RECEIPT YOU GET. DONT KNOW WHY THIS GLITCH EXISTS...)

And that is it so far :). Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone!

wafaaawad

Star Member
Nov 3, 2019
Great to share
Congratulations
Please let us know about taking the proof of funds, did you got it cash or bank transfer after landing?

salamander72

Apr 1, 2023
@wafaaawad Thanks!

So I had around 5000 USD with me (around 6600 CAD at that time) with me in cash. Apart from that I had kept bank statements with me which showed that I had the required funds. However, the official did not ask anything about funds. But it would be wise to carry statements, just in case.

Once I opened up the bank account I started transferring the money from my home country's account.

Oyinwola__

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
Hi Everyone

I completed my first landing on 18th February 2024. After a very busy 2 weeks finally got some time to take a step back and recap. I thought it best to write my experience in case it benefits anyone. So here goes:

Background: I applied for PR through the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Express Entry program. I had lodged my application for the first time in November 2021 (after taking the IELTS and getting my WES equivalency). Due the COVID hiatus and consequent backlog, there were minimal/no FSW draws for a year and my application expired in November 2022. I re-entered the pool. Eventually draws resumed, and the score trickled down. I got the ITA in April 2023. Is submitted my application next month in May. Got PPR in October 2023.

Preparing for Landing: Since my COPR was expiring in April 2024, I decided to keep some buffer and decied to land in February. I chose 18th Feb as the date and Toronto as the landing place. Anticipating the cold which would greet me, I bought a nice par of snow boots (best investment ever!), a decent winter jacket, a beanie, and gloves. I also printed out 2 sets of all the documents I had submitted during PR application online. Kept one with me in my hand luggage and the other in the check-in baggage.

Just before final departure: 2-3 days before departure I filled out Forms 186 and 186A for accompanying goods and goods to follow. Since 186 doesn't have enough rows, I used 186A as a continuation for accompanying goods as well. I categorized the goods, and put details in parenthesis. As for values in CAD, I just used educated guesses, erring on the higher side. I also filled out the ArriveCAN app to complete customs declaration.
I booked an appointment with TD bank in Mississauga for 20th February, Tuesday (knowing that 19th Feb was to be a holiday in Ontario)

Landing day: I landed on 18th February 2024 at Toronto Pearson Airport. I was firstly directed to a kiosk where I entered my details and got a receipt showing customs declaration (filling out ArriceCAN probably made this process faster). I then went with this receipt to the immigration counter where the person asked whether I had a COPR and was new immigrant. She then asked me to follow the new immigrant markings on the floor.

Immigration Process: The markings led to another office where there was a short queue. I waited for my turn and then the official asked for my COPR and passport. He asked whether I was a new immigrant, whether there were any changes in my personal circumstances (such as marital status etc.). He didn't ask for Proof of Funds or any other documents. He asked me to write the address where the PR card would be delivered (I gave my friend's address - the official didn't object at all), and then just signed the COPR and made me sign it too. It was quite smooth, and hardly took 10 minutes.​
Customs - I then proceeded to baggage claim area and got my luggage. I entered the customs line and proceeded to the 'Goods to Declare' section. The area was almost emply (no one wants to land in February I guess!) and I went to one of the counters. I showed forms 186 and 186 A to the official and he asked me to write the total value of goods to follow in CAD in another row. I was then asked to wait for a while while he entered the information in the system and created a receipt for the goods to follow. I waited about 15 mintues, whereafter he handed me a document I could use whenever I brought in any of the goods I had listed.​
That was it. It was all fairly quick. I called an uber and went to my airbnb in Mississauga :)

Day 1 after landing - 19th Feb (Monday): This was a public holiday in Ontario, so banks etc. were closed. Luckily, the ServiceCanada office was open, so I went to their office first thing in the morning (walk-in) to get my SIN number. They asked for my passport and COPR, made me fill out a simple form, and then gave me a print-out which had my SIN number on it. There was no queue (I think its best to go early to avoid queues, but wintertime plus general holiday may have helped my case).
I then went to a shopping mall and got a phone line. Now, there was always the confusion of whether a credit card is needed to get one. As far as I understood, you need a credit card if you want to buy a mobile phone on a contract along with a SIM card. But if you have your own phone and just want to get a SIM, no credit card is needed. My case was the latter, so I got a deal from Virgin Plus. 60 GB 5g and unlimited 4g (with hotspot); Unlimited calls and text. For 55 CAD (+ tax).

Day 2 after landing - 20th Feb (Tuesday): Went to TD bank at my appointed time. The banking associate was helpful and explained the newcomers package in detail. As a benefit to newcomers in Canada they give a free premium account (no monthly fees and unlimited free transactions). I also asked for a credit card and she applied for it on the spot. She got approval, but the limit was only 1500 CAD (which was apparently normal for newcomers). She asked for an address where the credit card would be delivered, and I gave my friends address (she didn't object, but offered the option of collecting it from the branch). I got a debit card on the spot.

Day 3 after landing - 21st Feb (Wednesday): Health card Attempt: I went to the ServiceOntario center to apply for my health card. The queue here was a bit longer, but arriving early helped. After about half an hour of waiting my turn came. While I had two of the needed documents (COPR and passport), I did not have a Proof of Ontario Residency. One of the accepted documents was a monthly bank statement, so I had to wat atleast a month before applying.

-----Some other days spent resting, meeting people, some other tasks particular to my situation, preparing for knowledge test for Driving License-----

Day 16 after landing - 5th March 2024 (Tuesday - Today) - After understanding the graduate licensing system of Ontario and preparing for the knowledge test, I went to the drive test center in Mississauga today. It was a bit crowded, but not excessive. I waited for around 45 minutes before my number came up. The official asked me for photo IDs; I gave my passport and Driving License from my previous country of residence (not the same as my home country). I also told her that I wanted to add the year long experience of my license in the application so that I can directly take the G2 road test. She understood and printed out a form. I filled it out (it was quite basic) and signed on another card. She then took a picture and conducted an eye examination (the usual reading letters and identifying blinking lights sort of thing). Then I was directed another room where I took the knowledge test on a touch-screen computer. I passed, and an official gave me the G1 license receipt and instructions on how to book the G2 road test. I booked the road test online through drivetest's website. (Note: the expiry date while booking the road test is simply 5 years from the issue date - IT IS NOT WHAT IS WRITTEN ON THE RECEIPT YOU GET. DONT KNOW WHY THIS GLITCH EXISTS...)

And that is it so far :). Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone!
Hello @salamander72
Thank you for this write up. Well detailed.
Quick question, I’m a little confused on what to include in the declaration form for accompany goods.
Can you please give a breakdown of what you included. I’m landing soon and I’m only coming along with my clothes, shoes, phone and a some foodstuff.
Did you also have to declare the cash on you? I’ll be coming in with cash as well.
Your response will be really helpful.
Thank you.

salamander72

Apr 1, 2023
Hello @salamander72
Thank you for this write up. Well detailed.
Quick question, I’m a little confused on what to include in the declaration form for accompany goods.
Can you please give a breakdown of what you included. I’m landing soon and I’m only coming along with my clothes, shoes, phone and a some foodstuff.
Did you also have to declare the cash on you? I’ll be coming in with cash as well.
Your response will be really helpful.
Thank you.
Hi Oyinwola__,

To your first question:

I filled out B186 and B186a (I had more categories of goods than the number of rows in B186, so I continued my list on B186a) by listing the major categories of goods and then writing specific items in parentheses. Here are the first three items I had in my list:
  1. Bags (2 suitcases, 1 big backpack, 1 small backpack, 1 documents bag)
  2. Clothes (Shirts, Pants, Jackets, Coat, Thermals, Underwear, Socks etc.)
  3. Footwear (Snow boots, Slippers, Joggers)
..and so on..
Note that I had also prepared a complete list separately on excel and printed it out, just incase the official did not like the way I had filled out the form. It turned out he was satisfied after all.

To your second question:

I had cash, but it was less than 10000 CAD. As per current rules, there's no need to declare amounts less than 10000 CAD. But you have to declare the amount if you have more than 10k CAD on you.

Hope it helps.

Oyinwola__

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
Hi Oyinwola__,

To your first question:
I filled out B186 and B186a (I had more categories of goods than the number of rows in B186, so I continued my list on B186a) by listing the major categories of goods and then writing specific items in parentheses. Here are the first three items I had in my list:
  1. Bags (2 suitcases, 1 big backpack, 1 small backpack, 1 documents bag)
  2. Clothes (Shirts, Pants, Jackets, Coat, Thermals, Underwear, Socks etc.)
  3. Footwear (Snow boots, Slippers, Joggers)
..and so on..
Note that I had also prepared a complete list separately on excel and printed it out, just incase the official did not like the way I had filled out the form. It turned out he was satisfied after all.

To your second question:
I had cash, but it was less than 10000 CAD. As per current rules, there's no need to declare amounts less than 10000 CAD. But you have to declare the amount if you have more than 10k CAD on you.

Hope it helps.
Hello, thank you for the explanation.
It was really helpful.
Thank you