+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR expired..can I reapply?

agentsophy

Apr 26, 2017
Hi

You need to renounce your PR status before applying with your husband.

You have no H&C grounds to use to try to retain your status. You were an adult and could have chosen to come to Canada at any point.
Thanks so much! Yes, going to do that..would you have any idea how long this process takes? Tried looking online, but nothing about timelines...

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks so much! Yes I'm thinking of renouncing it, only don't know how long the process would take. We are at 420 points and think we will get the ITA next draw! It's a bit tricky, because of timelines and not having clear info. :(
It should be a fairly quick process, probably no longer than a month or so.

Just submit it asap. If your husband gets the ITA then include yourself as a dependent and include a note that you've also applied to renounce your current PR status so need to be included in his app.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
It should be a fairly quick process, probably no longer than a month or so.

Just submit it asap. If your husband gets the ITA then include yourself as a dependent and include a note that you've also applied to renounce your current PR status so need to be included in his app.
Rob clearly knows this better than me, but one thing I just thought of: Can she really be added to her husband's application AFTER he got the ITA? Wouldn't that cancel the ITA, at least in the case where adding a dependent might lower the points below the invitation threshold of the relevant draw? I thought it would be necessary for her to be added BEFORE the draw happens.

Or am I missing something here?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Rob clearly knows this better than me, but one thing I just thought of: Can she really be added to her husband's application AFTER he got the ITA? Wouldn't that cancel the ITA, at least in the case where adding a dependent might lower the points below the invitation threshold of the relevant draw? I thought it would be necessary for her to be added BEFORE the draw happens.

Or am I missing something here?
I think she could be added as a non-accompanying dependent, which wouldn't have any effect on points (though not entirely sure on this).

Of course if this is required, it would add to the complications of having to go through family sponsorship from scratch afterwards.

aalooparathay

Jun 6, 2017
Hello all

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I find myself in a similar situation.
I became a landed immigrant back in early 2000s, and then lived on and off in Canada, before leaving in 2004 due to lack of job opportunities. My PR card expired sometime in 2009.
Now I'd like to apply again for the Canadian Immigration through Express Entry.
I have already applied for the renunciation of my PR, which I haven't received any response to. I mailed my application more than 6 weeks ago and don't even know if it has been received and/or processed. I might just re-send it via a courier this time around.

What I would like to know is that how and where in our express entry profile we mention our previous ties with Canada, if at all. And could I submit the express entry profile before the renunciation is finalized.

Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What I would like to know is that how and where in our express entry profile we mention our previous ties with Canada, if at all. And could I submit the express entry profile before the renunciation is finalized.
Hi

There are questions asking if you have ever applied before.

You can probably submit the profile, though you definitely can't apply for PR before renunciation.

aalooparathay

Jun 6, 2017
Thanks, Canuck.
I have another query.
Even after the renunciation is complete, do I need to mention my previous immigration status? I don't really have any details (even lost the PR card) and I can't remember any dates (landing, entry/exit, etc).
Does CIC expect me to provide an explanation of why I did not stay the first time around?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks, Canuck.
I have another query.
Even after the renunciation is complete, do I need to mention my previous immigration status? I don't really have any details (even lost the PR card) and I can't remember any dates (landing, entry/exit, etc).
Does CIC expect me to provide an explanation of why I did not stay the first time around?
I don't know if that specific information is requested in the app. IRCC can find all of that info in their system from your personal details anyways.

You will not need to explain why you didn't retain your status the first time.