+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal - Advisable to wait for spouse to meet 730 days RO??

akgpt

Feb 19, 2024
[I apologize if this question has already been addressed, but I could not find relevant threads after searching the forum.]

Background:
  • My Permanent Resident (PR) card expired in December 2023, and I did not meet the 730-day residency requirement at that time. However, I expect to fulfill the requirement within a month.
  • My spouse's PR card also expired in December 2023 and she will achieve the residency requirement in three months time.
Question:
Is it advisable to wait until my spouse fulfills her residency requirement before submitting my PR card renewal application, or can I proceed individually? Alternatively, can I file my application now and have her submit hers separately when she meets the requirement?

Thank you.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Each PR card application is assessed individually, not on a per family basis. You can proceed with your application when you meet the RO, and so can your spouse when she does. No need to wait.

Reactions: scylla

akgpt

Feb 19, 2024
Each PR card application is assessed individually, not on a per family basis. You can proceed with your application when you meet the RO, and so can your spouse when she does. No need to wait.
Many thanks for your response. Appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
[I apologize if this question has already been addressed, but I could not find relevant threads after searching the forum.]

Background:
  • My Permanent Resident (PR) card expired in December 2023, and I did not meet the 730-day residency requirement at that time. However, I expect to fulfill the requirement within a month.
  • My spouse's PR card also expired in December 2023 and she will achieve the residency requirement in three months time.
Question:
Is it advisable to wait until my spouse fulfills her residency requirement before submitting my PR card renewal application, or can I proceed individually? Alternatively, can I file my application now and have her submit hers separately when she meets the requirement?

Thank you.
Would suggest you give yourself a buffer of at least a month before submitting the PR card renewal. That will hopefully avoid non-standard processing time. By that time your spouse may have completed their RO.

Reactions: akgpt