+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal: 150 days processing and application just 6 months before expiry

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Deal all
I wonder if anyone knows if there is any change in requirement to submit the application for PR card renewal only if there is less than 6 months left before the expiry date.
Given current processing times of above 150 days, it becomes dangerously close, and there is no safety room to allow time for returned applications for example. I know one does not need a valid PR card when inside Canada, but what about people who have dynamic jobs that sometimes require travel abroad on an urgent basis. It seems 6 months period just does not make sense anymore with above 150 days processing time…

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
barabashka said:
Deal all
I wonder if anyone knows if there is any change in requirement to submit the application for PR card renewal only if there is less than 6 months left before the expiry date.
Given current processing times of above 150 days, it becomes dangerously close, and there is no safety room to allow time for returned applications for example. I know one does not need a valid PR card when inside Canada, but what about people who have dynamic jobs that sometimes require travel abroad on an urgent basis. It seems 6 months period just does not make sense anymore with above 150 days processing time...
Then you will have to apply for urgent processing

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
CanV said:
Then you will have to apply for urgent processing
You need to show them plane tickets for that, right? 5 months of processing time for an application 6 months prior to expiration date just doesn't make sense :mad:

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Current rules for "urgent processing" work for "moderately urgent" cases but not for truly urgent ones.
If there is a well planned vacation, let's say 3 months in advance - urgent processing application would work.

If there is really an urgent need to go from today to tomorrow due to family emergency or simply an important (but unexpected) meeting across the border - there is no way to get the card renewed that quickly.

If I remember correctly the period was 1 year previously, but then CIC changed it to 6 months. However, the processing time at that time was around 40 days if I remember correctly...
Insisting on enforcing the 6 months rule with above 5 months processing time indeed does not make any sense. I wonder if they are (at least temporary) less strict with this rule at the moment...

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have a 30 day window between processing times and pre PR Card expiry....this window is more than acceptable if this goes before the courts. CIC has an urgent stream too. Given this 2 scenarios and that maintaining the integrity of the IRPA is key hard to see why CIC should give anyone a break and allow applications more than 6 months pre-expiry.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Until we actually see that the processing time is longer than 180 days then I see no issue. 150 days is close to but still under 180.

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
The processing time is now 159 days...just 3 weeks difference between the processing time and 6 months rule...I fail to see the logics to be honest.

MWM

Star Member
Jun 1, 2014
barabashka said:
The processing time is now 159 days...just 3 weeks difference between the processing time and 6 months rule...I fail to see the logics to be honest.
also me i see no logic , applied for urgent process with tickets for me and family to visit hospitalized parents , R0 OVER 900 , after 21 days they send me come and take your pr , at the local office they said no wait for an interview we cannot give it to you , iam stuck now for 3 months waiting since i applied , and the funny thing if i go and i want to return with PRTD i dont know how long it will take , i have kids in schools and who knows what will happen there and how long and no guarantee to get it . what a situation , where is the logic i don't know ? at least let us get the travel document before we leave so we can make sure we could come back and kids will not lose the current school year .

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MWM said:
also me i see no logic , applied for urgent process with tickets for me and family to visit hospitalized parents , R0 OVER 900 , after 21 days they send me come and take your pr , at the local office they said no wait for an interview we cannot give it to you , iam stuck now for 3 months waiting since i applied , and the funny thing if i go and i want to return with PRTD i dont know how long it will take , i have kids in schools and who knows what will happen there and how long and no guarantee to get it . what a situation , where is the logic i don't know ? at least let us get the travel document before we leave so we can make sure we could come back and kids will not lose the current school year .
PRTD normally takes 5 business days to process. If you must go then go, you have nothing to worry about.

I guess now to be in the safe side, people should start applying for PR renewal 6 months before the current one expires.

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Even if people do apply exactly 6 months before, so many things that can delay the processing...It is enough to have photos that do not fit, not to mention RQ, and one would end up with expired card

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
CanV said:
Until we actually see that the processing time is longer than 180 days then I see no issue. 150 days is close to but still under 180.
Hi everyone
Well, it IS 180 days now...I wonder what is going to happen now?