+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Application. The main applicant is on SOWP, and non-accompanying

val_gimo

Mar 21, 2024
Hi there!

My spouse and I have been considering the non-accompanying route for our PR application. Here's our situation:

1. My wife got a job offer, LMIA, and closed work permit a year ago. So I've received an open work permit (SOWP).
  2. I was lucky enough to get a job and currently have close to 1 year of Canadian work experience.
  3. At the same time, CRS-points-wise, I still have significantly more points than my spouse (master vs. bachelor, language exams) - so I'm gonna be the main applicant for PR and we think there's a better chance if I apply without my wife (so non-accompanying)
  4. There's also a catch - my wife is about to lose her job (she works in tech and will be laid off in one/two months 100%). As a result, there's currently no possibility of obtaining points for her LMIA.
Given all that, what do you think would be a better explanation for IRCC for opting for a non-accompanying path? I'd like to keep it short to avoid a lengthy back-and-forth with them.

Should I simply state that I am the main applicant and my spouse is non-accompanying due to point differentials (despite her having an active LMIA), or should I provide a full explanation about her job insecurity leading to lack of employer support for her LMIA?

Additionally, since my spouse has already obtained an LMIA and a closed work permit, does this prove her admissibility, or will we still need to provide IRCC with her policy certificate and medical exams?

Would appreciate any suggestions and thoughts on that, thanks!