+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR and Divorce

shortduck

Jan 16, 2014
Hello

We both received our PR cards 4 months back, however our 2 year old marriage is not going smooth and it's almost certain that we will divorce. My husband was primary applicant.

My husband is living separately for last 8 months outside of Canada.

My question is Do I risk loosing my PR because of this divorce?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shortduck said:
Hello

We both received our PR cards 4 months back, however our 2 year old marriage is not going smooth and it's almost certain that we will divorce. My husband was primary applicant.

My husband is living separately for last 8 months outside of Canada.

My question is Do I risk loosing my PR because of this divorce?
No

patgomez

Aug 19, 2014
Hello.. im a permanent resident from the phils and im here presently in canada.. since the time i came back here i was living separately from my husband. He doesnt know that im here because he dont want me to come back here.. he is filing a divorce and hell be sending it back home. Is there a possibility that he will going to find out that i am here?
Please help.. hoping for your immediate reply.. thanks..

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
patgomez said:
Hello.. im a permanent resident from the phils and im here presently in canada.. since the time i came back here i was living separately from my husband. He doesnt know that im here because he dont want me to come back here.. he is filing a divorce and hell be sending it back home. Is there a possibility that he will going to find out that i am here?
Please help.. hoping for your immediate reply.. thanks..
There are really only 2 reasons that you could lose your PR status.
1. If you were sponsored as a spouse and have Condition 51 on your COPR, and you break up with your spouse within first 2 years of becoming PR.
2. If you got your PR fraudulently or lied on your application anytime up until you landed as a PR

If neither of those apply, then it really doesn't matter if your husbands knows you're in Canada or not, there is nothing he can do to take away your PR status.