+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postdoctoral fellowship LMIA exempt working permit

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
when

normally when I went thru they say you are eligible for International Mobility and International mobility program is one of those that qualify for it...CIC certainly needs to be clearer in their communication....
Yes, that's the output I get, but it doesn't state anywhere in the application that I would be eligible, so I wonder if it's 'implied' given my qualifications without having to do anything additional.
The embassy after a lot of back and forth did not know the answer and directed me to the webform, which only works for queries AFTER you submit the application so...
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?_ga=2.54001825.866871199.1504270704-1588683775.1498118598
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?_ga=2.54001825.866871199.1504270704-1588683775.1498118598
I guess I just apply and then contact them and see what's the deal. I hope that's the right way to do it otherwise it would be stupid to have several weeks of delay because things are not explained well.

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Any news on this?
Canadian embassy in my country and university had no idea about the two weeks, and also didn't give any explanations about the documents needed (see my original post).
I'm about to submit my application ...

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
So finally the embassy replied after more back and forth about the global skills strategy:

'Please apply for a work permit with LMIA exemption and we will try to process it on time.'

I'll just submit my application and if I don't hear in two weeks I'll then use the webform to contact them.

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
So finally the embassy replied after more back and forth about the global skills strategy:

'Please apply for a work permit with LMIA exemption and we will try to process it on time.'

I'll just submit my application and if I don't hear in two weeks I'll then use the webform to contact them.

Hello Frast,,, please keep us posted

smartnini

Oct 4, 2017

Hi Frasts. Please let us know if you have enjoyed the 2 weeks processing? I have applied for my work permit hoping approval in 2 weeks but it doesn't seem the case yet

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Update: I did get the two weeks processing!
I provided all the required documents (and all extra ones that I thought fitted, including explanation letter), and had contacted the embassy in my own country a few times before submission to ask how it worked. They didn't know anything about the procedure, but then it was done in just a few days.
I have quite an easy situation in the sense that I was bringing my own fellowship and was already accepted by a group at the host uni in Canada, so really there wasn't much to check I think.

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
I provided all the required documents (and all extra ones that I thought fitted, including explanation letter), and had contacted the embassy in my own country a few times before submission to ask how it worked. They didn't know anything about the procedure, but then it was done in just a few days.
I have quite an easy situation in the sense that I was bringing my own fellowship and was already accepted by a group at the host uni in Canada, so really there wasn't much to check I think.
Good news there- thank God I had mine processed too and passport request sent: in just few days. CIC means business!

orlando1016

Sep 25, 2017
Hi, I am wondering whether they asked you for police certificate when processing your application?

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Hi, I am wondering whether they asked you for police certificate when processing your application?
yes they did ask me for police record of all countries i have lived in form more than 6 months, I had some travel History and had collected my reports. once they asked, I was able to upload them in a few days. It took about two weeks to receive the request letter

smartnini

Oct 4, 2017
yes they did ask me for police record of all countries i have lived in form more than 6 months, I had some travel History and had collected my reports. once they asked, I was able to upload them in a few days. It took about two weeks to receive the request letter
That's great. happy for both of you Frasts and Xtreme Innovations. I myself (a postdoc applied under IMP category which is eligible for 2 weeks processing) is waiting to hear anything back from the Singapore CIC office. It has been almost three weeks since I applied, when I inquired after two weeks, CIC replied that my application is still pending an officer review. Once the review is done, that will also determine the eligibility for 2 weeks. So it is possible that some offices like Singapore (one of the most slowest) it could take weeks before they do the 2 weeks processing. For me, it kills the purpose of 2 weeks processing at certain offices.... Still hoping and waiting!

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
That's great. happy for both of you Frasts and Xtreme Innovations. I myself (a postdoc applied under IMP category which is eligible for 2 weeks processing) is waiting to hear anything back from the Singapore CIC office. It has been almost three weeks since I applied, when I inquired after two weeks, CIC replied that my application is still pending an officer review. Once the review is done, that will also determine the eligibility for 2 weeks. So it is possible that some offices like Singapore (one of the most slowest) it could take weeks before they do the 2 weeks processing. For me, it kills the purpose of 2 weeks processing at certain offices.... Still hoping and waiting!
Hello Smart, there were some exceptions for the two week processing but not sure if you fall under that category. Hopefully you should get a response in time for you to begin your postdoc..

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
I was not asked for police records. Sent it in on Thursday and had it by the next Monday, must be some kind of record.
Note that I think my case was easy (coming with my own EU fellowship).

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
hi fellows,
From Italy, I also applied online for Postdoc WP, on Oct. 08, for my spouse OWP, and dependent child visitor Visa.
Done with biometrics, current status: completed.
Medical: Not Required (as I have not visited designated countries and stayed for +6 months in last 5 years)
Later on Oct.12, I received letter to send our italian residence permits to Rome Embassy, I did on same day.
I am on IP2, as per Background status.
After 12th Oct, so far no further updates.
I suppose next step is PPR...normally how much time it takes?

One more thing: Our italian residence permits are expiring by end-of-November, but we also applied for renewal, which is in-progress. I sent LoE to Rome Embassy along with permits, do you think it would be a problem?

Kindly share your experience, I am a bit skeptical about no updates so far, after sending our Italian residence permits to Rome Embassy.