+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Points for independent work experience for foreign employer for FSW category?

Oct 14, 2017
My current visa is PGWP. I work as a full-time independent contractor (software engineer) for a US based company while staying at Canada. Now the question is will my experience as an independent contractor count as foreign skilled worker experience if I apply for FSW express entry?
One of the immigration consultants told me I'll get points for my experience as the employer is foreign and one year of experience fulfills the criteria. Another immigration lawyer said that the condition of foreign skilled work experience is "outside of Canada", which is ambiguous because it can mean the work is done staying outside of Canada or work is done for any employer which is not in Canada.

Do I get point for my independent contractor work experience for a US based employer for FSW express entry?

velociraptor

Jul 14, 2017
Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but I am in a similar situation.

I am on a 3 yr PGWP and I have received a 1099 contract from a US company. I wanted to know how you went about the process of becoming an independent contractor on a PGWP. Did you incorporate yourself ? I looked into this route but it says that at least 25% of the directors need to be Canadian residents.

Or did you just accept income through the 1099 contract and declare taxes as income received?

You reply will be much appreciated.

Thanks so much.