+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help! Transition from PGWP to SOWP if spouse starts study

bluefish24

Nov 24, 2023
Hello everyone,

I’m on a PGWP and my spouse is with me in Canada with an SOWP. We’re both working. Our work permit will expire next year and my spouse wants to study a full time program in Canada after that.

My spouse hasn’t studied in Canada before so I think they will be able to get their own PGWP after graduation. And I’m hoping to get the spousal OWP at the same time their Study permit granted, to continue working and support their study cost.

But I have a concern about the transition time from my PGWP to SOWP in this case. Our current work permits both expire end of June 2024, the full time program will start in September 2024. Will I need to stop working in the duration between June 2024 and Sept 2024, and only resume working when my spouse official starts the study? What the process should I expect here?

I tried to search up information on this particular case but haven’t got any luck yet. So I would appreciate if anyone can share your experience or any lead on this whole process. Please help! I would really appreciate any input. Thank you!!