+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help, pr status and days outside Canada

Jolie Cherry

May 5, 2014
Please help me with my situation.
I became pr and got my pr card in 2009. I stay in canada until 2011 and started going back to my country a lot ( more than 2 years). Anyway, i came back to canada in dec 2013 and applied to renew my pr card.
Its approved and i picked up my new card today which is may 05, 2014. However, my cic officer told me that from now on, i only have 143 days outside Canada in 5 years. If i stay out of Canada more than that, i will lose my pr status.
My plan for the next 5 years is to spend 6 months in Canada and another 6 months in my country ( due to family matter). But as he told me, now i can only have a month during 1 year.
Please help me explain my situation and is there any other way I still maintain my pr card?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Meeting the RO is not just for special occasions like applying for a PR card so it is not enough that you met it before you applied to renew, you must continue to meet it all the time. That means that now you have been a PR for more than 5 years, you must always have 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years, looking back from any date.

Since your PR renewal was largely based on having stayed in Canada between 2009 and 2011, right now, the time you spent in Canada back then is day by day moving outside of the window of the past 5 years and will have to be replaced by new days stayed in Canada. Therefore, if you leave to your home country for 6 months, it is possibly that you do not meet the RO when you come back. If immigration has put a note on your file that you are close or maybe just by checking randomly, it is possible that the immigration officer will report you as you return and worst case, you could lose your PR.