22/Jan/2007
IELTS Request
15/06/2009
File Transfer...
17/06/2011
Med's Request
waiting
All respected seniors

I am sure someone has asked this question already but I spent over 1 hour to look for that thread but and couldn't find it.

I am planning to send my application form on June/28 and I have never left Canada this year. However the online calculator shows 178 presence days. Isn't it should be 179 days?
Is the last day counts as 1 day or not? (day of submission)

Could someone please help me with this?

thank you in advance

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
All respected seniors

I am sure someone has asked this question already but I spent over 1 hour to look for that thread but and couldn't find it.

I am planning to send my application form on June/28 and I have never left Canada this year. However the online calculator shows 178 presence days. Isn't it should be 179 days?
Is the last day counts as 1 day or not? (day of submission)

Could someone please help me with this?

thank you in advance
No, the day of submission, the date the application is signed, does not count.

The applicant must be qualified as of the day before the date the application is made.

Note: the presence calculator is very rarely (if ever) in error. So long as the applicant properly enters dates accurately and completely, the calculator will get the calculation right.

Reminder: remember to wait to apply with a comfortable buffer of days over the minimum.

No advantage to rushing it only to end up having it take longer, potentially a lot longer, due to questions arising from cutting-it-close, let alone the risk of being denied if any errors were made or IRCC has doubts about some days. The forum is littered with sad tales by applicants who were absolutely sure about their dates only to discover, after their application is in process, they missed something (can range from relying on stamps showing entry to country abroad for reporting dates of exit from Canada, which are often wrong, to a late day arrival and actually not clearing customs/PoE until after midnight, among others).

Reactions: Whocares

jonathan1977

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Taiwan
Category........
Visa Office......
Taipei
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/Jan/2007
IELTS Request
15/06/2009
File Transfer...
17/06/2011
Med's Request
waiting
No, the day of submission, the date the application is signed, does not count.

The applicant must be qualified as of the day before the date the application is made.

Note: the presence calculator is very rarely (if ever) in error. So long as the applicant properly enters dates accurately and completely, the calculator will get the calculation right.

Reminder: remember to wait to apply with a comfortable buffer of days over the minimum.

No advantage to rushing it only to end up having it take longer, potentially a lot longer, due to questions arising from cutting-it-close, let alone the risk of being denied if any errors were made or IRCC has doubts about some days. The forum is littered with sad tales by applicants who were absolutely sure about their dates only to discover, after their application is in process, they missed something (can range from relying on stamps showing entry to country abroad for reporting dates of exit from Canada, which are often wrong, to a late day arrival and actually not clearing customs/PoE until after midnight, among others).

Hi dpenabill

I understand and agree.

Thank you very much!!!

jonathan1977

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Taiwan
Category........
Visa Office......
Taipei
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/Jan/2007
IELTS Request
15/06/2009
File Transfer...
17/06/2011
Med's Request
waiting
Hi Dpenabill and other respected senior

Just one more question. I drove a friend for flag polling at US/Canada border to extend his visa.

Do I need also need to record that day on the physical presence day?

thank you

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Just one more question. I drove a friend for flag polling at US/Canada border to extend his visa.

thank you
Every applicant needs to read and follow the instructions, and apply them to his or her particular circumstances as best and honestly as he or she can.

If you left Canada, the instructions say to report the date you exited Canada. And to report the date you re-entered Canada.

In another topic, for an example I referred to a half hour jaunt into Lewiston, NY, crossing the Queenston Heights bridge to go get cheap gas at Smokin Joes, a day trip which obviously needs to be reported. Indeed, if that was a late evening jaunt and instead of a half hour it took longer, getting stuck in traffic on the bridge the way back, so that it was five minutes after midnight before getting through the Canadian PoE, the date of exit to report is the date the bridge into NY was crossed and the date of return is the next day, because it is the next day on the calendar.

If you went through the Canadian PoE to re-enter Canada, that's a big clue, you exited, you re-entered . . . gone for five minutes or five hours or five days, the instructions say to report the date of all exits and the date of all entries. No equations in quantum physics necessary.

How do you describe your purpose? Please excuse my lapse if, contrary to what I say about not giving personal advice, I offer some advice: not a good idea to mention flag-poling. In many contexts flag-poling is legal, sometimes even incidental (a quarter century ago one could use both bridges in Niagara Falls, and we would sometimes spend a day riding bicycles in the area and actually go back and forth across the bridges multiple times in a day . . . different world back then, when we were almost never asked to show ID going either direction). But "flag-poling" nonetheless inherently evokes connotations of manipulating the system.

By the way, flag-poling means different things to different people in variable contexts. Last time (a good while ago) I crossed the Peace Bridge from Fort Erie, Ontario to Buffalo, NY, for example, there was an exit after passing the PoE but before going onto the bridge itself, which was OK to use to literally re-enter Canada without actually leaving Canada, without actually entering the U.S. Some called that flag-poling.

At most of the land crossing sites I am familiar with, a person must go through the PoE into the U.S. in order to turn around and re-enter Canada. At some it is physically possible to do a U-turn in between, literally passing the flag pole and turning to go back before reaching the other country's PoE booths. But it is prohibited and tends to lead to serious drama if one tries to do this.

jonathan1977

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Taiwan
Category........
Visa Office......
Taipei
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/Jan/2007
IELTS Request
15/06/2009
File Transfer...
17/06/2011
Med's Request
waiting
Every applicant needs to read and follow the instructions, and apply them to his or her particular circumstances as best and honestly as he or she can.

If you left Canada, the instructions say to report the date you exited Canada. And to report the date you re-entered Canada.

In another topic, for an example I referred to a half hour jaunt into Lewiston, NY, crossing the Queenston Heights bridge to go get cheap gas at Smokin Joes, a day trip which obviously needs to be reported. Indeed, if that was a late evening jaunt and instead of a half hour it took longer, getting stuck in traffic on the bridge the way back, so that it was five minutes after midnight before getting through the Canadian PoE, the date of exit to report is the date the bridge into NY was crossed and the date of return is the next day, because it is the next day on the calendar.

If you went through the Canadian PoE to re-enter Canada, that's a big clue, you exited, you re-entered . . . gone for five minutes or five hours or five days, the instructions say to report the date of all exits and the date of all entries. No equations in quantum physics necessary.

How do you describe your purpose? Please excuse my lapse if, contrary to what I say about not giving personal advice, I offer some advice: not a good idea to mention flag-poling. In many contexts flag-poling is legal, sometimes even incidental (a quarter century ago one could use both bridges in Niagara Falls, and we would sometimes spend a day riding bicycles in the area and actually go back and forth across the bridges multiple times in a day . . . different world back then, when we were almost never asked to show ID going either direction). But "flag-poling" nonetheless inherently evokes connotations of manipulating the system.

By the way, flag-poling means different things to different people in variable contexts. Last time (a good while ago) I crossed the Peace Bridge from Fort Erie, Ontario to Buffalo, NY, for example, there was an exit after passing the PoE but before going onto the bridge itself, which was OK to use to literally re-enter Canada without actually leaving Canada, without actually entering the U.S. Some called that flag-poling.

At most of the land crossing sites I am familiar with, a person must go through the PoE into the U.S. in order to turn around and re-enter Canada. At some it is physically possible to do a U-turn in between, literally passing the flag pole and turning to go back before reaching the other country's PoE booths. But it is prohibited and tends to lead to serious drama if one tries to do this.

Respected Dpenabill

Thank you so much!!!!!!
I will NOT state the word "flag poling", Instead I will just state "Drove a friend to extend his work visa"
I hope there won't be any problems

Jonathan

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

thank you
Definitely list it. My husband failed to list a day trip to the US and got RQ as a result.

jonathan1977

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Taiwan
Category........
Visa Office......
Taipei
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/Jan/2007
IELTS Request
15/06/2009
File Transfer...
17/06/2011
Med's Request
waiting
Hi Scylla and Dpenabill

I cannot express how much I appreciate you guys help.

Even It was Dec/25 and I was only out for 2 mins but I will definitely list it

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!

Jonathan