+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical Presence Calculator and Time Difference

euphoria2010

Apr 20, 2019
Appreciate if anyone can help,

In the physical presence calculator do I list the actual date I left Canada as per the airline ticket or the date I arrived at the destination?.
The time difference causing one day difference between the date I left Canada and the other country arrival stamp date on my passport.

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019

In the physical presence calculator do I list the actual date I left Canada as per the airline ticket or the date I arrived at the destination?.
The time difference causing one day difference between the date I left Canada and the other country arrival stamp date on my passport.
You need to list the actual date that you left Canada. Because if you do otherwise, you’ll be short with days depending on the transit you were in each time.

I heard that the airlines have to report after they scan your passport although there’s no exit/passport control while leaving.

euphoria2010

Apr 20, 2019
You need to list the actual date that you left Canada. Because if you do otherwise, you’ll be short with days depending on the transit you were in each time.

I heard that the airlines have to report after they scan your passport although there’s no exit/passport control while leaving.
Thank you so much for your assistance.

I will add the exact date I left Canada and immigration office will understand the time difference that caused the one day difference in other country entry stamp.

Regards

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Thank you so much for your assistance.

I will add the exact date I left Canada and immigration office will understand the time difference that caused the one day difference in other country entry stamp.

Regards
Yea normally they understand too. You can explain at the interview when asked.

Reactions: euphoria2010

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

FOREMOST: Applicants should enter the actual date the PR left Canada, and the actual date the PR entered Canada (date that a border official actually authorizes entry into Canada, which if that is after midnight can mean a day later than when the plane landed on the tarmac). ALL exit and entry dates, ACCURATELY.

I concur in observation that IRCC processing agents readily understand passport stamps and what they mean. In particular, there is no reason to worry about how IRCC will interpret stamps made by other countries which are dated between dates the applicant reported exiting Canada and the date the applicant reports next entering Canada.

Indeed, such stamps as you describe are often ERRONEOUSLY relied on, by applicants, when they are filling in the dates in the presence calculation. This is a common error. No big deal so long as the applicant has a good buffer. But it is always best to be precisely ACCURATE.

An entry stamp into another country NEVER documents the date the PR exited Canada. It only documents a date the PR was for sure in that other country. Note, for example, PRs leaving Canada on an overnight Trans-Pacific flight often do NOT actually arrive at their destination until TWO calendar days later.

In other instances, PRs sometimes have holdovers in countries where their passport is not stamped, so the first date of entry stamped in the passport can be multiple days later than the date the PR actually left Canada.

The applicant's obligation is to accurately report the date the applicant actually left Canada. ALL dates, all dates ACCURATELY.

Also note that for many PRs applying for citizenship there may be several trips abroad for which there are NO stamps at all in the passport.

IRCC figures it out. It mostly looks at passport stamps to see if there is something indicating an inconsistency or incongruity. Minor mistakes are, ordinarily, no big deal. So an applicant who mistakenly relied on the date of entry into another country to report the date of exit, again as long as there is enough of a buffer over the minimum that should NOT cause a problem . . . but of course, again, the more accurate the better.

Reactions: euphoria2010

euphoria2010

Apr 20, 2019
FOREMOST: Applicants should enter the actual date the PR left Canada, and the actual date the PR entered Canada (date that a border official actually authorizes entry into Canada, which if that is after midnight can mean a day later than when the plane landed on the tarmac). ALL exit and entry dates, ACCURATELY.

I concur in observation that IRCC processing agents readily understand passport stamps and what they mean. In particular, there is no reason to worry about how IRCC will interpret stamps made by other countries which are dated between dates the applicant reported exiting Canada and the date the applicant reports next entering Canada.

Indeed, such stamps as you describe are often ERRONEOUSLY relied on, by applicants, when they are filling in the dates in the presence calculation. This is a common error. No big deal so long as the applicant has a good buffer. But it is always best to be precisely ACCURATE.

An entry stamp into another country NEVER documents the date the PR exited Canada. It only documents a date the PR was for sure in that other country. Note, for example, PRs leaving Canada on an overnight Trans-Pacific flight often do NOT actually arrive at their destination until TWO calendar days later.

In other instances, PRs sometimes have holdovers in countries where their passport is not stamped, so the first date of entry stamped in the passport can be multiple days later than the date the PR actually left Canada.

The applicant's obligation is to accurately report the date the applicant actually left Canada. ALL dates, all dates ACCURATELY.

Also note that for many PRs applying for citizenship there may be several trips abroad for which there are NO stamps at all in the passport.

IRCC figures it out. It mostly looks at passport stamps to see if there is something indicating an inconsistency or incongruity. Minor mistakes are, ordinarily, no big deal. So an applicant who mistakenly relied on the date of entry into another country to report the date of exit, again as long as there is enough of a buffer over the minimum that should NOT cause a problem . . . but of course, again, the more accurate the better.

Thank you so much for all the details you included in your post. Appreciate your inputs. I totally agree with you the more accurate is better and officers understand stamps and how time differences may cause one or two days difference. It's always good to keep airline tickets as a reference as we can rely on and use to update the correct exit and entry dates. I do keep boarding passes and tickets and I will use to update the physical presence calculator. Thanks again. Very well explained. Best Regards