+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring in May (Quebec) - looking for any options to extend my stay

jokepoke

Feb 27, 2020
I am an American who graduated from a QC university back in 2020. My post-graduation work permit is expiring in May. I wasn't initially planning to stay here, but I've met someone I love and it's now very important to me that I find a way to stay in Canada for at least a few more years. PGWP were extended for people who had them expiring up until the end of 2022, but I don't qualify for that extension. I'm overwhelmed at the different options towards PR or a new work permit - especially because all of the Quebec quirks - and would be very grateful for any guidance you can give.

As far as I understand, the most common option for someone in my position is the Quebec Experience Program (PEQ), but my french is lacking, I may not have met enough of the full-time work requirements (I worked 28 hours a week for about a year), and my job isn't in an elite category. That does not appear to be an option for me.

Otherwise, I was looking at the Quebec Skilled Worker program (QSW) / AKA RSWP Regular Skilled Worker Program. I appear to have enough 'points' to apply for a CSQ, but I'm a bit confused about the following:

- "There are two processing times to consider for your Quebec Regular Skilled Worker Program: the processing time for the CSQ (about 6 months?) and for the Canadian permanent residence application (about 19 months?)." If I apply for the CSQ now, what are my chances to succeed if I fairly narrowly met the requirements to apply? Am I legally allowed to stay in Canada until that application is finished, as my PGWP will expire in May and I haven't applied yet? Also, if I do receive the CSQ in 6 or so months, do I qualify for any sort of extended work permit to live in Canada while the QSW/RSWP is processing?

The unique immigration requirements for QC makes things a bit more unclear for me. If you know of any way to extend or start a new work permit here then please fill me in, as I can't seem to find a situation other than these two where I could extend my stay here or obtain PR.

Thanks in advance for reading my post or any advice/insight you can give on my situation.