+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Petitioning of family

KaeNurse

Nov 28, 2014
Hi guys:) i would just like to ask if how long will it take for me to make a petition for my family? Because my agent said that the rule in petitoning was changed. Previously it's just one year. Now, after 3years of paying tax. That's the only time you could start a petition.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
KaeNurse said:
Hi guys:) i would just like to ask if how long will it take for me to make a petition for my family? Because my agent said that the rule in petitoning was changed. Previously it's just one year. Now, after 3years of paying tax. That's the only time you could start a petition.
Do you mean, sponsorship of your parents? Please explain exactly what you wish to achieve.

KaeNurse

Nov 28, 2014
Petitining of my spouse I mean.
I am applies for Qeubec skilled worker program.. I already have a file number. Now im waiting for the decision for interview in french and the quebec selection certificate.. But I'm planning to get married.. How will that affect my application? And can I include my spouse on my application eventhough I already have a file number and my application is about to be completed??

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
KaeNurse said:
Petitining of my spouse I mean.
I am applies for Qeubec skilled worker program.. I already have a file number. Now im waiting for the decision for interview in french and the quebec selection certificate.. But I'm planning to get married.. How will that affect my application? And can I include my spouse on my application eventhough I already have a file number and my application is about to be completed??
If you get married at any time before you become a PR by completing the "landing" in Canada, you MUST include your new spouse in your application. If you don't, you will never be able to sponsor your spouse and you will also be committing "misrepresentation". As soon as you marry, inform the visa office and they will tell you what you need to do. Do not attempt to go to Canada if your application still said that you are unmarried (single).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Two options, either you get married now and add your spouse to your application or you wait to get married until you have already landed as a PR and then sponsor her.

I would recommend the first because you and your wife get PR at the same time.

If you go the sponsorship route after getting your PR, you must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor her and she may or may not granted a visa to come stay with you. If she can't get a visa, you will be separated from her for months while you wait for the sponsorship approval.

You do not have to file taxes for 3 years before sponsoring a spouse. Your agent is wrong about that. However, if you want to sponsor your parents, it would be a requirement.

KaeNurse

Nov 28, 2014
Thank you so much leon and zardoz for your replies. You really helped us a lot.. :) :)
I asked my agent yesterday if I can and how can I add my soon to be spouse in my application.. He told me that its better if I add him after my visa approval. But if I get married now and add him right away it will cause me to start my application all over again.. So obviously I'm choosing the first one.

The stage of my application is now on the file number and the next stage is the decision for interview or waived interview. It's like my visa approval or decision..

So does my agent mean that after my visa approval I could already get married and add him on my application right away so that we won't undergo to sponsorship/petition anymore? So that we could migrate to canada together???

Thank you in advance for your replies.. :) :)

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
KaeNurse said:
Thank you so much leon and zardoz for your replies. You really helped us a lot.. :) :)
I asked my agent yesterday if I can and how can I add my soon to be spouse in my application.. He told me that its better if I add him after my visa approval. But if I get married now and add him right away it will cause me to start my application all over again.. So obviously I'm choosing the first one.

The stage of my application is now on the file number and the next stage is the decision for interview or waived interview. It's like my visa approval or decision..

So does my agent mean that after my visa approval I could already get married and add him on my application right away so that we won't undergo to sponsorship/petition anymore? So that we could migrate to canada together???

Thank you in advance for your replies.. :) :)
If you are approved and then get married you won't be able to officially 'land' until your spouse has been added into your application. If you land and then get married, you will have to sponsor your spouse.

Your agent sounds like he knows NOTHING about family class sponsorship and you should probably not listen to his advice. It is flawed.

If you want to get married and be with your husband sooner rather than later, then your best option is to get married before you are approved. You will then be given instructions on how to add your spouse to your application once you tell CIC you are married. Your husband will have to get his medical done and also get his police clearances. They will then process you and your husband together and issue your visas together so you can land together.

DO NOT get married and land as single then try to sponsor your husband or add him to your application. I promise, you won't like the results if you try to take that road.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Adding your spouse sooner rather than later is the better option as it ensures your processing is done concurrently to include background and medical checks not to wait until the visa is issued where this checks will be commenced and delay your application - as per Alurra71 your 'consultant' doesn't seem to know what they are doing.

2. The advantage of 1 is your spouse gets PR same time as you.

3. The disadvantage of 1 is that if your spouse fails any of the checks the whole application is closed.

4. If you get PR then sponsor your spouse it may not take too long - depends on your local visa office....some process spousal applications in 6-8 months.

Just don't land with a 'single' visa if you get married prior to landing as the visa is not valid.