+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Petitioning New Government to bring back 3 year Residency Requirement etc

ironmat500

Aug 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jack999999 said:
First of all,

I would like to congratulate Mr. Justin Trudeau for his excellency as a PM.

I am one of those permanent residents in Canada arrived this Aug., and would like to request from Mr. John McCallum to allow us use the 3 out 4 years to apply for Citizenship instead of 4 out of 6.

God Bless this Government.
Be realistic. Don't fool your self with "Positive Thoughts"! The new government has more serious stuff to deal with rather than reducing the citizenship eligibility to 3/5 instead of recently established 4/6/ to favor some who cannot wait one additional year to become a citizen!

You just became a PR, this August and demanding the change!???

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
ironmat500 said:
Be realistic. Don't fool your self with "Positive Thoughts"! The new government has more serious stuff to deal with rather than reducing the citizenship eligibility to 3/5 instead of recently established 4/6/ to favor some who cannot wait one additional year to become a citizen!

You just became a PR, this August and demanding the change!???
I could understand jack999999 if he landed as PR before the new 4/6 rule kicked in. But he has landed long after the new rule kicked in. So now he wants the rule changed because he doesnt want to follow the new rules.

Jack999999

Nov 12, 2015
I do not understand the issue of landing in this forum!

A Canadian permanent residence is always granted before you arrive to Canada. So, It shall be calculated based on people who granted confirmation of permanent residence prior to the new rule kicked in. It is not fair for people like me who landed after the new rule kicked in because of some health issues shall be treated differently.

Example: Two people granted Confirmation of Canadian PR's on Jan 2015, one landed in April, and the other in Aug. So why there shall be difference between the two for the duration of stay prior to apply for citizenship.

Therefore, i suggest we shall request the new government to change the rule to 3 out 4 starting from the day a confirmation of permanent of residence was granted till the day the new rule 4 out of 6 was kinked in.

First time landing in Canada shall not make any influence here. This is my advice.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jack999999 said:

A Canadian permanent residence is always granted before you arrive to Canada. So, It shall be calculated based on people who granted confirmation of permanent residence prior to the new rule kicked in. It is not fair for people like me who landed after the new rule kicked in because of some health issues shall be treated differently.

Example: Two people granted Confirmation of Canadian PR's on Jan 2015, one landed in April, and the other in Aug. So why there shall be difference between the two for the days of stay prior to apply for citizenship.

Therefore, i suggest we shall request the new government to change the rule to 3 out 4 starting from the day a confirmation of permanent of residence was granted till the day new rule 4 our of 6 was kinked in.

First time landing in Canada shall not make any influence here. This is my advice.
The example you made, knew there was a rule change coming. They could have easily landed as soon as they gotten COPR papers in hand up to 6 months before the new rule. But if they wanted to wait as long as they did and landed after the new rule was made, so be it. Suffer the consequences of owing up to their decisions on when to land in Canada. But the point is moot as the 4/6 rule affects everyone regardless of when PR lands as it is based on when the application was made, not when the applicants landed.

essy86

Star Member
Oct 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O / Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2011
AOR Received.
September 2011
File Transfer...
May 2012
Passport Req..
Feb 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 2013
LANDED..........
March 2013

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Two days ago, in another topic (one among multiple topics about petitioning the new government or the PM regarding the potential rollback of provisions adopted in Bill C-24 during the reign of Harper Conservatives), I offered some in-depth analysis of prospects for changes in significant part based on the positions proffered during the Bill C-24 second reading debate, focusing in particular on statements made by John McCallum, who is now the Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship.

Highlights of that analysis:

dpenabill said:
As already noted, there is no need to repeal the entirety of Bill C-24. And the Liberals do not plan to repeal Bill C-24.

. . . the Liberal campaign platform did NOT promise to repeal Bill C-24, and indeed only promised to repeal a small portion of it related to the revocation of citizenship for criminal convictions (those provisions described as creating two-tier citizenship), and otherwise the Liberal platform said that the Liberals would:

-- restore credit for pre-PR time toward qualifying for citizenship

-- remove unfair hurdles to grant citizenship

. . . parts of Bill C-24 constituted clearly needed fixes for a range of problems in the previous version of the Citizenship Act, such as clarifying provisions regarding citizenship by descent. But to a significant extent this also included revisions to the grant citizenship requirements, including in particular the clarification that qualification for citizenship is based on physical presence not time resident in Canada.

. . . the 4/6 rule is actually more flexible if not lenient in some respects. In particular, it allows an immigrant to be abroad up to one-third of the time rather than just the one-quarter that the 3/4 rule prescribes.

. . . a huge problem with Bill C-24: this was largely a Bill drafted by a very small, inner circle of advisers close to Harper . . .

. . . [what McCallum opposed in Bill C-24] included the following:
-- expanding language and knowledge testing to younger and older applicants (now, for example, these apply to applicants up to the age of 64, whereas before only to age 55)
-- the elimination of credit for students and temporary workers (Liberal campaign platform explicitly promised to restore the credit)
-- the 4/6 rule
In that analysis I also noted that then MP McCallum did not, at that time (during second reading of Bill C-24 back in 2014), oppose the oft criticized intent-to-reside clause.

The Mandate for Minister McCallum and Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship:

Some general observations about the Mandate letters:

First and foremost, I must say that it is refreshing, downright exhilerating, just to see the actual letters to the various Ministers (other Ministers received similar "mandate" letters relative to their particular portfolio, the ones getting the most media attention appear to be that to the new Finance Minister Bill Morneau, given 27 top priorities, and that given to the new Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould who was also given an extensive list of priorities, including legalization of marijuana). For the past nine years the various Ministers were extremely limited in what they could publicly say about their agenda, and there was not the slightest hint of publicly disseminating information like this. I do not expect Trudeau's government to not have internal secrets, but the scope of transparency already being displayed by the new government is very, very encouraging.

Secondly, importantly, beyond reiterating the new government's commitment to transparency, the mandate letters further instructed the respective ministers about including consultations in their governing. In particular, the mandate letter to the Minister for Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship, John McCallum, states (emphasis added):

"As Minister, you will be held accountable for our commitment to bring a different style of leadership to government. This will include: close collaboration with your colleagues; meaningful engagement with Opposition Members of Parliament, Parliamentary Committees and the public service; constructive dialogue with Canadians, civil society, and stakeholders, including business, organized labour, the broader public sector, and the not-for-profit and charitable sectors; and identifying ways to find solutions and avoid escalating conflicts unnecessarily. As well, members of the Parliamentary Press Gallery, indeed all journalists in Canada and abroad, are professionals who, by asking necessary questions, contribute in an important way to the democratic process. Your professionalism and engagement with them is essential."

The extent to which this is the polar opposite of the government Canada has had for the previous nine years cannot be overstated. Some fumbling is to be expected. The bar is set very, very high. Just some significant movement of actual governing toward this would be a major accomplishment. Canadians deserve a more open and progressive government. I have high hopes that, notwithstanding the inevitable setbacks and failings, the governing of Canada is headed in a much, much better direction.

Matters directly related to citizenship in the Mandate:

There are only three of the itemized priorities which relate to citizenship, and one of these is the broad charge to improve processing timelines generally.

The two specific items of priority for citizenship are:

"-- Work with the Minister of Justice and the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness to repeal provisions in the Citizenship Act that give the government the right to strip citizenship from dual nationals.

-- Eliminate regulations that remove the credit given to international students for half of the time that they spend in Canada and regulations that require new citizens to sign a declaration that they intend to reside in Canada."

There is no suggestion that there will be, any time soon, efforts to rollback the 4/6 rule or the 183 days X 4CY rule.

Restoring credit for pre-PR time:

It is somewhat a surprise to see that the priority item about restoring credit for time in Canada only refers to students and not, at the least, workers in Canada with temporary status. As noted in my previous analysis, the Liberal platform included a commitment to restore the credit for both students and temporary workers. My guess: the mandate letter was drafted in some haste and this was an oversight. If and when the Liberal government actually moves to restore credit, my guess is that it will include credit for temporary workers in addition to students.

Eliminating the intent-to-reside requirement:

This is somewhat of a surprise, given that during the debate about Bill C-24 the Liberals did not raise much of an objection to this provision and in particular John McCallum dismissed the significance of criticisms aimed at this requirement. I suspect that its inclusion in the agenda, the mandate, is based on two things: (1) it is a highly unpopular provision, and (2) its practical effect is so limited that the government feels it can be removed without compromising the grant citizenship process.

Eliminating the provisions for revoking citizenship from dual citizens:

This was the more high profile item during the campaign, the one stated with more emphasis, among some of the key refrains in the campaign being "a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian," which was specifically aimed at these particular provisions added to the Citizenship Act by Bill C-24. This is one of the things more likely to happen in 2016.

Timeline for changes:

With only a few exceptions, the timeline for changes is largely open, and this applies across the broad relative to the other mandate letters sent to all the Ministers. The total body of priority items is huge, absolutely huge. The letters themselves acknowledge that the objective is to address these within the next four years. And indeed, it is very likely that many of the items in the various mandate letters will not be dealt with until well beyond 2016, and some will NOT get done. That is inevitable. The best laid plans of mice and men . . . and all.

While only the restoring of credit for students and eliminating the intent-to-reside provision is listed lower in the dozen priorities itemized for the Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship, I would expect the repeal of the provisions to strip citizenship from dual citizens to be among those items addressed sooner rather than later. Other sources have cited Minister McCallum to indicate this is among items which will be addressed in 2016, by the spring of 2016 if not sooner.

That leaves the timeline wide open as to when the government will restore credit for students and eliminate the intent-to-reside clause. While the mandate letter does not mention other changes, my guess is that when it comes time to make these particular changes (in 2017 perhaps? maybe a bit sooner), there will be others considered, such as rolling back the expanded age brackets for language and knowledge of Canada requirements, including restoring pre-PR credit to temporary workers, and possibly some modifications or relaxation of the physical presence requirements in particular, such as the 183 X 4CY rule.

That said, there is little hint of an agenda to otherwise change the 4/6 rule. As I addressed in my other analysis, actually the 4/6 rule offers greater flexibility for PRs who, for example, have employment which involves extensive travel abroad. Its advantages in this regard may outweigh the perceived advantage of a shorter timeline to eligibility offered by a 3/4 rule.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In an interview to Toronto Star McCallum promised to eliminate the revocation of citizenship by the spring if not sooner (direct quote), so it's safe to assume that restoration of pre-pr credit and the elimination of intent to reside clause would be addressed simultaneously.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/canada/2015/11/10/liberals-turn-attention-to-long-term-refugee-needs.html

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Jack999999 said:

Example: Two people granted Confirmation of Canadian PR's on Jan 2015, one landed in April, and the other in Aug. So why there shall be difference between the two for the duration of stay prior to apply for citizenship.

Therefore, i suggest we shall request the new government to change the rule to 3 out 4 starting from the day a confirmation of permanent of residence was granted till the day the new rule 4 out of 6 was kinked in.

You appear to be misunderstanding the PR application system process. You become a PR on the date that you landed, not before. It doesn't matter what date your CoPR was issued. As has already been pointed out, it's irrelevant anyway to the rules in operation on the date that you apply for citizenship.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jack999999 said:

A Canadian permanent residence is always granted before you arrive to Canada.
You HAVE NO idea what you're talking about.

What you received abroad is an immigrant VISA, not a permanent resident status, that you can only achieve upon landing in Canada. Check out the back of your permanent resident card, you will find there the date you became PR and that's the same date you landed.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
neutral said:
What about upon landing ? ;D
Maybe it should be like the UK. Those married to a citizen get 2 years discount on the residency requirement...

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Diplomatru said:
So, the pre-landing credit is apparently coming back in the LPC's term in office. +1 for finding this piece.
Eliminate regulations that remove the credit given to international students for half of the time that they spend in Canada and regulations that require new citizens to sign a declaration that they intend to reside in Canada. - See more at: http://pm.gc.ca/eng/minister-immigration-refugees-and-citizenship-mandate-letter#sthash.vgNcsbwp.dpuf

So the pre-PR credit is only for students only, thank you Mr PM, for nothing!