+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Peruvian retirement money

rcarrerac

Oct 23, 2014
Hi, I wanna know what are the implications of bringing my peruvian retirement money here to Canada. Everybody has different versions about it (Bank, consulate, friends, tax preparer, etc). The thing is, this money already paid taxes in Peru and the money is administered by private institutions called AFP and regulated by the government, the system in Peru is different from the one in Canada and that's why they let canadians (it's a pre-requisite to have the citizenship) to transfer the money to any bank account in Canada instead of a retirement institution. I know that the bank has to inform of this transfer to CRA. Where can I find the technical information about if it pays taxes or not?, CRA is going to send me a letter of it?, do I have to prove where this money comes from (considering that the bank exactly knows who is transferring it)?, do I have to answer any special question at the moment of producing my income tax using the software available everywhere (I do this myself)?. Thanks in advance for the time of reading this post and for your answers.