+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency and Visiting

Miche

Apr 1, 2009
I have several questions, I am from the United States and have been dating a gentleman since Nov. 2007 from Quebec City. We are ready to apply for sponsorship and are quite sure that the approval for the sponsor ship will be approved in a Mo. time.
I have resigned my position (job) as of July 1, 2009 here in the US and will be leaving for Canada June of 2009. We are ready to submit our forms to Minister of Quebec, they should receive them by next week. We were told to send all paperwork there even the IMM forms as they will forward them, Is this correct?

Is it possible to have my physical in Canada when I arrive there and have it sent from there to CIC-M

I believe I can stay in Canada for 6 mo. out of the year, How long do I have to leave Canada before I can re-enter if I have to wait for the sponsorship and permanent residence to be approved. (least amount of time)
or can I apply for an extension?

In moving househould items, is it possible to move household items there without my permanent residency? or Do I need to leave them in the states stored at the shipping company until I have the permanent residency paperwork approved?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are doing an outland application, right, where you say that you are still officially living in the US and want to be processed in the US?

If yes, then it doesn't matter if you are in the US or visiting Canada when you send in the applicaiton. You do also send the whole application to one place. They will forward it when the time comes. If you want to stay in Canada after the 6 months, you can apply to extend your visit status. Otherwise I believe the time is half and half you can stay, that is if you stay 6 months you have to leave for 6 but many people say they have been gone for less time, come back and get a stamp for 6 months again.

You should definitely be careful showing up at the border with houshold items on a visit visa or they may deny you entry. It would be safer to get them stored.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Miche said:
I have several questions, I am from the United States and have been dating a gentleman since Nov. 2007 from Quebec City. We are ready to apply for sponsorship and are quite sure that the approval for the sponsor ship will be approved in a Mo. time.
I have resigned my position (job) as of July 1, 2009 here in the US and will be leaving for Canada June of 2009. We are ready to submit our forms to Minister of Quebec, they should receive them by next week. We were told to send all paperwork there even the IMM forms as they will forward them, Is this correct?

No, I am assuming that you meet the definition of common/law that you have lived together as a couple for a year. The sponsorship and the application go to Mississauga. Once you have received the approval from Mississauga, then you submit the application to Quebec MICC http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/sponsors-sponsored/index.html

Is it possible to have my physical in Canada when I arrive there and have it sent from there to CIC-M

Yes, but proof of the medical has to be submitted with the application. Note you will need both FBI and state police certificates.

I believe I can stay in Canada for 6 mo. out of the year, How long do I have to leave Canada before I can re-enter if I have to wait for the sponsorship and permanent residence to be approved. (least amount of time)
or can I apply for an extension?

You can apply for an extension to Vegreville. You know that you have to decide whether you are submitting an "out of Canada" spousal application which goes to Mississauga or "in Canada" which goes to Vegreville. An out of Canada would probably be faster and you still can be a visitor in Canada while it is processed.

In moving househould items, is it possible to move household items there without my permanent residency? or Do I need to leave them in the states stored at the shipping company until I have the permanent residency paperwork approved?

I would store them, because if you get an IO who follows the rules, they may make the decision that you are not a visitor, but a PR without a visa and refuse admission
PMM

Miche

Apr 1, 2009
I was told by Immigration Quebec that I would be notified to have a physical after the sponsorship is approved, is this true? That is where the confusion is.
Do I wait for my sponsor to have approval before I get the physical?

I was also told by Immigration Quebec to send all the paperwork there, also having some confusion, All the paper work is completed and has been mailed to my partner in Canada for his signatures, The only thing missing is the physical.
All the FBI clearance is included. I just want to make sure we send it all to the right place to speed this along.

If we send it to Missa. will they forward the Quebec paperwork to them or do I send them separately?

We do meet the criteria for conjugal partners, we have every document since November of 2007, phone records, Ins. policies with his name as benificiary, email logs, airline stubs, photos with family members and friends. all visits documented, I think we are very good on this part.

Thank you all for your help, this is a little confusing to me. I do appreciate it very much.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what I have heard, it's a bit hard to get conjugal accepted. You can say immigration barriers have prevented you from living together but they can ask you why you don't just get married then.

Miche

Apr 1, 2009
We could get married, We are not opposed to that at all. We have talked about it many times and wanted to get me there before we get married. We would like his family to be part of the ceremony.
It is an option.
Thank you again.

If you have any other information that may help please let me know I am all ears. :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Miche said:
I was told by Immigration Quebec that I would be notified to have a physical after the sponsorship is approved, is this true? That is where the confusion is.
Do I wait for my sponsor to have approval before I get the physical?

I was also told by Immigration Quebec to send all the paperwork there, also having some confusion, All the paper work is completed and has been mailed to my partner in Canada for his signatures, The only thing missing is the physical.

The Feds want you to have the medical and submit the receipt with application.

All the FBI clearance is included. I just want to make sure we send it all to the right place to speed this along.

If we send it to Missa. will they forward the Quebec paperwork to them or do I send them separately?

Please read the link I gave you for the processing steps.

We do meet the criteria for conjugal partners, we have every document since November of 2007, phone records, Ins. policies with his name as benificiary, email logs, airline stubs, photos with family members and friends. all visits documented, I think we are very good on this part.

Good luck, there would not appear to be any barrier for you either living together or marry, so it is very very unlikely that you will be approved for conjugal see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf Section 5.25

"People who are dating or who are thinking about marrying or living together and establishing a
common-law relationship are NOT yet in a conjugal relationship, nor are people who want to live
together to “try out” their relationship
"

Thank you all for your help, this is a little confusing to me. I do appreciate it very much.
PMM