+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Renewal for Spousal Sponsorship PR Application W/o Valid US Visa

dwija21

Sep 13, 2023
I am currently in the USA holding a valid H1 visa and possess Canadian Permanent Residency (PR) status. However, my partner is currently in the USA without legal status, and his Indian passport recently expired last month. We are in the process of preparing a spousal sponsorship application for him. Our immediate concern is renewing his passport, but he lacks the necessary document—a valid visa—to do so.

I would like to inquire whether there is a possibility of presenting the spousal PR application as a supporting document during the passport renewal process at the VFS office. If anyone has faced a similar situation, your insights would be greatly appreciated, as this matter is quite time-sensitive.

Additionally, is there a potential option to initiate the application process using the expired passport and, once he receives an Invitation to Apply (ITA), present this document at the VFS office for passport renewal? Furthermore, does anyone have any information on the typical duration of the renewal process in such circumstances?