+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport expiry and PGWP Application

hn007

Jan 21, 2024
Hello,

My Indian Passport expiry is 8 April, 2024. I graduated last month and plan on applying for PGWP when I receive my completion letter on 29 January.
Passport renewal time shows 8 weeks from BLS in Vancouver. PGWP itself takes 109 days to process according to processing times on IRCC. This processing time is past my current passport expiry. What should I even do in this situation? Would really appreciate some guidance.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello,

My Indian Passport expiry is 8 April, 2024. I graduated last month and plan on applying for PGWP when I receive my completion letter on 29 January.
Passport renewal time shows 8 weeks from BLS in Vancouver. PGWP itself takes 109 days to process according to processing times on IRCC. This processing time is past my current passport expiry. What should I even do in this situation? Would really appreciate some guidance.
Do both, once renewed, update passport information if application is still in process. You should have applied to renew your passport last year since India allow passport renewal a year before expiry

hn007

Jan 21, 2024
Do both, once renewed, update passport information if application is still in process. You should have applied to renew your passport last year since India allow passport renewal a year before expiry
Yes, that was negligence on my part. I was focused on studies and finding a job.
What happens if my application is not in process by the time I receive new passport?
Will they reject my PGWP?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Yes, that was negligence on my part. I was focused on studies and finding a job.
What happens if my application is not in process by the time I receive new passport?
Will they reject my PGWP?
If a decision is still pending by the time you receive your passport, update via webform… if you get approved before, you’ll need to apply for extension, another application fee

hn007

Jan 21, 2024
If a decision is still pending by the time you receive your passport, update via webform… if you get approved before, you’ll need to apply for extension, another application fee
Got it.
One last thing,
Am I eligible to work full time after I submit the PGWP application?
My study permit expires on April 31, 2024.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Got it.
One last thing,
Am I eligible to work full time after I submit the PGWP application?
My study permit expires on April 31, 2024.
You will be under implied status…regardless of passport situation, as long as decision is pending

Reactions: hn007

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
Hello,

There is a tatkal option for Indian passport renewal (Not sure if you will qualify for it). If done right, you can receive your updated passport in less than 2 weeks. Call BLS.

hn007

Jan 21, 2024
There is a tatkal option for Indian passport renewal (Not sure if you will qualify for it). If done right, you can receive your updated passport in less than 2 weeks. Call BLS.
That would save me so much stress.
I looked into it and it says:
"BLS Centre's under Vancouver Jurisdiction does not offer Tatkaal/ Jumbo (60 pages) Passport Services. Please contact Consulate of Vancouver directly."

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
That would save me so much stress.
I looked into it and it says:
"BLS Centre's under Vancouver Jurisdiction does not offer Tatkaal/ Jumbo (60 pages) Passport Services. Please contact Consulate of Vancouver directly."
Write a letter to cg.vancouver@mea.gov.in explaining your situation. You will get a response if you are lucky.

Reactions: hn007