+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Application: No nearby guarantors are available

LTheanine

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is the right sub for this but if anyone can help me with my situation.

I recently got my citizenship and I am applying for a passport. I moved to AB just about a year ago and will be staying here for awhile, work is remote and my employer is based out of Ontario so all of my Canada connections are from there.

In the application for passport, they are looking for a guarantor, which is someone who should have known me for at least 2 years, and is a Canadian passport holder. That person should be able to sign the form and the back of the photo physically.

Problem is, I don't know anyone in AB that meets that criteria. All of my connections are in ON. I saw that on behalf of a guarantor, I can use a form pptc 132 and just find 2 more references.

Question is, will this be allowed even if I know a guarantor from another province? A friend said that the ideal route is send the form to someone that meets the criteria in ON, then have that person sign the form and back of the photo, and wait for it to be mailed back. I feel like it may take a while if I do this.

The pptc 132 form is asking for a reason why I cannot find a guarantor. Can I put the reasoning that I know no one in AB that meets that criteria? (Even though someone in ON is)

Thank you!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is the right sub for this but if anyone can help me with my situation.

I recently got my citizenship and I am applying for a passport. I moved to AB just about a year ago and will be staying here for awhile, work is remote and my employer is based out of Ontario so all of my Canada connections are from there.

In the application for passport, they are looking for a guarantor, which is someone who should have known me for at least 2 years, and is a Canadian passport holder. That person should be able to sign the form and the back of the photo physically.

Problem is, I don't know anyone in AB that meets that criteria. All of my connections are in ON. I saw that on behalf of a guarantor, I can use a form pptc 132 and just find 2 more references.

Question is, will this be allowed even if I know a guarantor from another province? A friend said that the ideal route is send the form to someone that meets the criteria in ON, then have that person sign the form and back of the photo, and wait for it to be mailed back. I feel like it may take a while if I do this.

The pptc 132 form is asking for a reason why I cannot find a guarantor. Can I put the reasoning that I know no one in AB that meets that criteria? (Even though someone in ON is)

Thank you!
The answer to your first question is yes.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
A friend said that the ideal route is send the form to someone that meets the criteria in ON, then have that person sign the form and back of the photo, and wait for it to be mailed back. I feel like it may take a while if I do this.
"A while" here being a couple of weeks? Or faster if you're willing to pay for express and all that? The regular post is pretty quick, unless you're truly in a rush.

And if you're truly in a rush, why bother taking the risk the local passport officials delay the no-guarantor bit?

Up to you.

Brobot

Feb 12, 2021
I'm in the same situation, moved to AB less than 2 years ago. Filled out pptc 132 form, got it certified by a notary public and applied no problem. Passport officer told me that there can be a little delay without a guarantor. Everything went smoothly, picked up my passport today, but ymmv

Just make sure to follow the pptc 132 form, and make sure your notary certifies both the form and one of the photos, and let your references know that they'll get a call from passport officer. In my case, they called all four references. Also you can find pptc 132 form online and print it, it's exactly same as what they give you at the passport office