+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parental Birth Certificate Problem

Mollymoonbeam

May 6, 2019
Hi,

I am trying to gain Canadian Citizenship. I live in the UK but my Mum was born in Canada and has lived back there for many years with my brother and sister. I understand that because of my Mum's place of birth, I am entitled to Citizenship and have just to apply for it, which I'm in the process of doing.

However, my Mum will not give me her birth certificate. I can't get hold of it without her driving license and passport (according to the Provincial Registry). She has not been in good mental health recently and is currently angry with me that I'm not proposing to move to the same town as her (as well as recently accusing my Stepdad of putting poison in her sugar). She doesn't have a diagnosis of (apart from Diabetes - I think it's her Dialysis which doesn't help) so I can't go down that route.

Has anyone heard of a situation like this before and/or have any suggestions as to a way forward?

Thanks for any help you could give me.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Hi,

I am trying to gain Canadian Citizenship. I live in the UK but my Mum was born in Canada and has lived back there for many years with my brother and sister. I understand that because of my Mum's place of birth, I am entitled to Citizenship and have just to apply for it, which I'm in the process of doing.

However, my Mum will not give me her birth certificate. I can't get hold of it without her driving license and passport (according to the Provincial Registry). She has not been in good mental health recently and is currently angry with me that I'm not proposing to move to the same town as her (as well as recently accusing my Stepdad of putting poison in her sugar). She doesn't have a diagnosis of (apart from Diabetes - I think it's her Dialysis which doesn't help) so I can't go down that route.

Has anyone heard of a situation like this before and/or have any suggestions as to a way forward?

There have been a few discussions on this forum regarding children being unable to obtain birth certificates from unwilling parents, but no one can offer a practical solution; unfortunately I think this steps into realm of legal litigation. At least here in the US, unless the child has power of attorney or control of the parent's estate while the parent is still alive, the birth certificate remains the property of the parent and he/she is not obligated to relinquish to anyone unless he/she is ordered by a court of law to do so. I think the only think can really do is to seek a consultation from a lawyer.

Reactions: k.h.p.

Jayson

Champion Member
Aug 8, 2013
Hi,

I am sorry to read about your mothers health. I think you need to talk to her more than looking for answers here. She will help you if you’d tell her about your intention.

And if ever she gets to know that you have shamelessly talked about her health and problems to strangers like ourselves. She might not be a happy mother!

Mollymoonbeam

May 6, 2019
I am sorry to read about your mothers health. I think you need to talk to her more than looking for answers here. She will help you if you’d tell her about your intention.

And if ever she gets to know that you have shamelessly talked about her health and problems to strangers like ourselves. She might not be a happy mother!
There have been a few discussions on this forum regarding children being unable to obtain birth certificates from unwilling parents, but no one can offer a practical solution; unfortunately I think this steps into realm of legal litigation. At least here in the US, unless the child has power of attorney or control of the parent's estate while the parent is still alive, the birth certificate remains the property of the parent and he/she is not obligated to relinquish to anyone unless he/she is ordered by a court of law to do so. I think the only think can really do is to seek a consultation from a lawyer.
Thanks very much for this. I'll look into it.

Mollymoonbeam

May 6, 2019
Would the longform of your UK birth certificate identify where she was born?
I have just received a copy of my birth certificate with details of my parents occupations etc but not where they were born. I'll call up the registrar and query this. Thanks very much.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have just received a copy of my birth certificate with details of my parents occupations etc but not where they were born. I'll call up the registrar and query this. Thanks very much.
Even if your British birth certificate indicates that your mother was born in Canada, it is unlikely that that will be sufficient to enable you to receive a Canadian citizenship certificate. The instructions state that you must send your Canadian parent's birth certificate. All I can suggest is that you write to IRCC, tell them your situation, and see what they suggest.

Address:

CPC-Sydney
P.O. Box 10000
Sydney, NS
B1P 7C1
CANADA

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if your British birth certificate indicates that your mother was born in Canada, it is unlikely that that will be sufficient to enable you to receive a Canadian citizenship certificate. The instructions state that you must send your Canadian parent's birth certificate. All I can suggest is that you write to IRCC, tell them your situation, and see what they suggest.

Address:

CPC-Sydney
P.O. Box 10000
Sydney, NS
B1P 7C1
CANADA
All that her British birth certificate will establish is identification, that she is really daughter of that woman. However that is not enough for Canadian citizenship application.

I guess, only way to do it is to try to get it from her mother.