+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Original PR Card required to be submitted for Indian Passport Renewal

square111

Star Member
Jun 19, 2009
I need to apply for a new Indian Passport, as my current one is expiring soon. However, the Indian Consulate requires submission of Original PR Card along with the passport application. It normally takes a few weeks for CGI Toronto to issue a new passport. One really fails to understand why they should ask to keep the Original! It is simply beyond logic.
Is it safe to give them my original PR Card, which I understand they would keep until they issue the passport?

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
square111 said:
I need to apply for a new Indian Passport, as my current one is expiring soon. However, the Indian Consulate requires submission of Original PR Card along with the passport application. It normally takes a few weeks for CGI Toronto to issue a new passport. One really fails to understand why they should ask to keep the Original! It is simply beyond logic.
Is it safe to give them my original PR Card, which I understand they would keep until they issue the passport?
Do you have a choice?? Just make sure you make a photocopy of the front and the back before submitting to them.

hansie

Feb 20, 2012
How about avoiding renewal of indian passport, entirely? what is the need of having another passport with so much complications, When you are migrated and adopted into the new country. Pledging a PR card for invaluable indian passport does not make any sense at all. I would not proceed for passport renewal, if I need to pledge my PR card. Share your opinion.

Daniel

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Rather than mail the card, consider taking a trip to Toronto to apply in person. This way, you leave with all your originals.

nash_avatar

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Brampton , Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo , USA
App. Filed.......
23 Nov 2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
19/12/2012
LANDED..........
09-02-2013
SenoritaBella said:
Rather than mail the card, consider taking a trip to Toronto to apply in person. This way, you leave with all your originals.
Good suggestion. thank you.

Aspat

Nov 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had to submit my daughter's PR card for renewing her Indian passport. I got everything back in a couple of weeks. No problems.

nash_avatar

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Brampton , Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo , USA
App. Filed.......
23 Nov 2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
19/12/2012
LANDED..........
09-02-2013
Aspat said:
I had to submit my daughter's PR card for renewing her Indian passport. I got everything back in a couple of weeks. No problems.
Did you mail original PR, original passport and other documents along with copy?

Aspat

Nov 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I submitted them all at the VFS office in Brampton.

It's now BLS though. I've currently applied for my son's passport renewal and submitted his old passport and PR card. Waiting for the new passport to arrive.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
square111 said:
........It normally takes a few weeks for CGI Toronto to issue a new passport. One really fails to understand why they should ask to keep the Original! It is simply beyond logic........
They want to avoid those Indian nationals that have an oath date in a few weeks time from hiding this....at oath your PR card is pulled by CIC...no PRC Card with your Indian Passport application and the CGI is entitled to think you are a citizen or about to become one (they know the games some of their nationals play)...that dual nationality issue can be a pain eh!

nash_avatar

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Brampton , Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo , USA
App. Filed.......
23 Nov 2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
19/12/2012
LANDED..........
09-02-2013
Msafiri said:
They want to avoid those Indian nationals that have an oath date in a few weeks time from hiding this....at oath your PR card is pulled by CIC...no PRC Card with your Indian Passport application and the CGI is entitled to think you are a citizen or about to become one (they know the games some of their nationals play)...that dual nationality issue can be a pain eh!
that is logical answer. Thanks MSafiri.