+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One Year v/s Two Years course

asker123

Sep 17, 2017
So one year course gives one year work permit
2 years course gives 3 years work permit.
How much a criteria this should be if the end motive is PR.
It looks clear that 3 years is good time to get the PR v/s one year. What happens if the work permit is about to expire and the PR is in process.
Anyone knows?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
So one year course gives one year work permit
2 years course gives 3 years work permit.
How much a criteria this should be if the end motive is PR.
It looks clear that 3 years is good time to get the PR v/s one year. What happens if the work permit is about to expire and the PR is in process.
Anyone knows?
What do you mean by "How Much Criteria"?

asker123

Sep 17, 2017
What do you mean by "How Much Criteria"?
I am sorry. I should have been more clear.
what I wanted to check was whether choosing a 2 year diploma can give a student an advantage because it comes with 3 years work permit and 3 years should be much sifficient time period to get a PR rather than a one year work permit that comes with one year diplome.
So does the candidate need to take this into account while choosing the program?
if you dont mind can I add another factorplease.
Candidate is bachelore of technology in computer science with one year experience in his country,
one year course in canada is a advantce diploma ( not a PG diploma)
the 2 year course is a regular diploma.
is there a chance that he will be rejected in 2 year diploma because he is already a B Tech? from that perspective is one year advance diploma better choice?
thanks in advance

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
what I wanted to check was whether choosing a 2 year diploma can give a student an advantage because it comes with 3 years work permit and 3 years should be much sifficient time period to get a PR rather than a one year work permit that comes with one year diplome.
So does the candidate need to take this into account while choosing the program?
Candidate is bachelore of technology in computer science with one year experience in his country,
is there a chance that he will be rejected in 2 year diploma because he is already a B Tech? from that perspective is one year advance diploma better choice?
thanks in advance
I can not give you prediction in terms of being rejected or approved, Unfortunately.
But Chances increase if enrolling to a Masters Degree, not Diploma or Certificate. Keep in mind, there are attestation letter and cap on international student enrollment, those should also be taken into consideration. Masters degree upon completion, and provided you abide with conditions of your study permit can guarantee you 3 years of pgwp. And yes, 3 years gives you flexibility to accumulate skilled work than 1 yr. thats so obvious

asker123

Sep 17, 2017
he got rejected by the university last year. too much competition.
the college in the city we want, only have one or two post graduate diploma thoseare full till fall 2026.
Rest are all regular diploma or advance diploma.
the immigration agent we are woring with says that if application is presented properly, he can get in the diploma.
it will be a bit setback to do a diploma afte B Tech but candidate is willing as he knows that in the job market a Masters or PG diploma or a diploma nothing matters, only thing matter is the skills that he already has.
should we try a regular diploma as the agent( here in Canada) seems confident.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
the college in the city we want, only have one or two post graduate diploma thoseare full till fall 2026.
the immigration agent we are woring with says that if application is presented properly, he can get in the diploma.
it will be a bit setback to do a diploma afte B Tech but candidate is willing as he knows that in the job market a Masters or PG diploma or a diploma nothing matters, only thing matter is the skills that he already has.
Its up to you and your agent to decide.

Reactions: asker123

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
thanks in advance
Not sure about other provinces, but in Ontario a diploma (2-year program) and advance diploma (3-year program) are still college level education. They are still both lower than university degree. See below a description of both college and diploma from WES:

https://www.wes.org/advisor-blog/college-and-university-in-canada-what-is-the-difference/

Agree with @Simba112 , chances are better with Masters if you already have BTech. Masters are also exempted from attestation letter. But still, your choice.

asker123

Sep 17, 2017
Thanks for your inputs.
After completing the course ( lets say the one year course) and lets assume candidate gets a job ( does it have to be in his same field of study?), how quickly he can apply for PR through PNP? if the PNP or the PR ( I heard those are 2 separate processes) does not arrive before his work permit expires, are there chances of work permit extension? Any inputs are appreciated

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your inputs.
After completing the course ( lets say the one year course) and lets assume candidate gets a job ( does it have to be in his same field of study?), how quickly he can apply for PR through PNP? if the PNP or the PR ( I heard those are 2 separate processes) does not arrive before his work permit expires, are there chances of work permit extension? Any inputs are appreciated
It is even hard to get PR after 3 years of work while on PGWP these days. With only one year of PGWP and minimal work experience both abroad and in Canada it will be extremely difficult to secure PR if only have 1 year PGWP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You shouldn’t be picking schools based on location because then you are limited to 2 options when neither are great options. The agent who is advising to apply for a 2 year diploma and saying it won’t be a problem if application is “presented properly” will likely tell the person to lie about their previous education. I have seen this before but then when people go to apply for PR they realize they need points from the education in their home country. If they lost that education in their PR application they could be accused of misrepresentation because previous applications are referenced. Education does matter especially to secure the interview. While interviewing skillsets are typically tested so then type of education may not have a big impact.

asker123

Sep 17, 2017
no , agent is not saying to lie that candidate has done BTech. he is saying it is possible to grt admission in a diploma after BTech. Do you see a mostle likely rejection for a study permit? or do you see no merit in doing a regular diploma fater B Tech?
If he comes to my location, he can live with us , eat home food. not being alone , a lots of benefits. An easy saving of approx $ 10 to 12000 per year
only downsize I see is 1. Feeling going backwards - a diploma after a degree 2. in PR for education, it will count as two post secondary diploma or degree rather than a Post graduate diploma.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
no , agent is not saying to lie that candidate has done BTech. he is saying it is possible to grt admission in a diploma after BTech. Do you see a mostle likely rejection for a study permit? or do you see no merit in doing a regular diploma fater B Tech?
If he comes to my location, he can live with us , eat home food. not being alone , a lots of benefits. An easy saving of approx $ 10 to 12000 per year
only downsize I see is 1. Feeling going backwards - a diploma after a degree 2. in PR for education, it will count as two post secondary diploma or degree rather than a Post graduate diploma.
It is exceptionally difficult to get a diploma after a btech. It just doesn’t make sense especially to come all the way tonCanada and pay high fees to do a degree that is considered inferior to your btech. Almost all are denied with the exception of maybe one or two. There is typically another college nearby even if an hour away or a university if that one college does not a program that makes sense and would show a progression in his education and would lead to career progression in his home country. He will still need to show the 20k funds for living expenses.