+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Old PR card VS new card

Raincouver

Mar 17, 2014
Hi Guys, please help here, my PR card will expire next March. I have to go to US for several months in end of 2014. I wanna renew my card this December. I wonder know if I can use my old card entry into Canada after CIC issue new card and send it to my Canadian address that time.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for renewal of PR Card within 6 months from its expiry date if you have already met the residency obligation of 730 days by that time. After submission of application while in Canada, you can leave for USA. But you will not be able to re-enter with the expired PR card. If you travel by road and cross the border on private car, you can use copy of your COPR with copies of application filed. However, you will be allowed to re-enter by road.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can use the old card as long as it's still valid. After it expires, an airline may not let you board unless you have a visa exempt passport. You could return with the expired PR card via land border.

A renewal PR card may or may not be mailed to your address. It is possible that you will be asked to pick it up in person.

Raincouver

Mar 17, 2014
Leon said:
You can use the old card as long as it's still valid. After it expires, an airline may not let you board unless you have a visa exempt passport. You could return with the expired PR card via land border.

A renewal PR card may or may not be mailed to your address. It is possible that you will be asked to pick it up in person.
Is that mean I still can use valid card for airline even CIC issues new card to me?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In general, they will hold a PR card for 6 months. If you haven't yet picked it up after 6 months, they will send it back to CIC headquarters where it will be destroyed.