+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ohip question for student due to pregnancy

katri

Dec 6, 2008
hi, i need an advice

i am in Ontario, on a student visa.
i got pregnant, my partner is a canadian resident and has OHIP (medical insurance)
i dont have it as i am only a student and having a baby delievered would cost ALOT.

i was told if we got married, i would be able to get on his medical card and be covered.

I have no idea if its true or how its done, anyone has same experience or knows what we need to do exactly?? we have only 6 months left before delievery.

Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You basically have to talk to OHIP. If you get married, he still has to sponsor you to get PR and it will mostly likely take longer than 6 months. I don't think OHIP will give you coverage until you are a PR or possibly if you apply inland, you can get it at first stage approval. If you marry him today and there are no problems with your paperwork, if you apply inland, you might get first stage approval in 5-6 months which is cutting it really close. If you apply outland, it depends on where you are from but the problem with that is if they want you to interview for PR, it would happen in your homeland and you might be too pregnant at that point to be able to travel. Maybe you can transfer to a university in another province where students are covered?