+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Offer of employment – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry) URGENT

Fergie_shalom

Jan 5, 2021
Hi everyone,

I just completed my express entry profile. I claimed valid job offer points.

Let me explain my Canadian Work Experience:

I worked for the same company as a full-time Programs Assistant from June 2018 to December 2019. In January 2020, I got a promotion as a Programs Coordinator. My visa status was Open Work Permit till June 2020. Then the same employer changed my visa status from Open Work Permit to Close Work Permit LMIA exempt. My Close Work Permit visa is valid between 2019 June -2022 June.

There was a question asking:
Has XXX been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year? I responded YES.

Now I'm wondering if my response was correct.

P.S I also consulted with a lawyer about this and responded below:

Pursuant to section 29(2)(a)(iii) of the Ministerial Instructions (MIs) respecting to the Express Entry System, there does not exist a requirement that you must wait to accumulate one year of work on a closed work permit.

Here is the relevant section of the MIs for your reference:

Qualifying offer of arranged employment

(2) A qualifying offer of employment is one of the following:

(iii) the foreign national holds a valid work permit issued under the circumstances described in paragraph 204(a) or (c) or section 205 of the Regulations, the offer is made by an employer who is specified on the work permit, and the foreign national works for that employer and has accumulated at least one year of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, over a continuous period of work in Canada for that employer

Best,
Fergie