Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
A thread for those of us applying in October 2017.

My wife and I are applying on October 10, with 1475 days physical presence. Hope a two-week buffer would be sufficient. Also hoping to beat the rush and get our apps in before C-6 changes go into effect.

She could have actually applied in July, as I have travelled for work and made numerous day trips to the US. I've been outside of Canada 91 days since becoming a PR on June 27, 2013.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012

My wife and I are applying on October 10, with 1475 days physical presence. Hope a two-week buffer would be sufficient. Also hoping to beat the rush and get our apps in before C-6 changes go into effect.

She could have actually applied in July, as I have travelled for work and made numerous day trips to the US. I've been outside of Canada 91 days since becoming a PR on June 27, 2013.
The ideal of 'beating the rush' may not work when the time comes...
Many people who submitted parents/grandparents PR application in 2016 are already landing this year, while many submitted in 2013 or earlier are still waiting.
CIC doesn't always do first come first serve,

alpalp

Jun 19, 2017
Planning to apply on October 3rd with 1464 days of physical presence - never left Canada since the arrival and had just one 5 hours trip to US. I don't hope to get ahead of other people, who will apply as soon as new/old rules are implemented. Just don't want to postpone my application.

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012

Very Similar to my case; will qualify under old rules on Oct-16th, I'll give 10 days as a buffer, then apply on Oct-26th. Have 80 days outside Canada, mainly for work.
My wife already qualified since early September, but she'll wait me, to have one family application with the kids.
Ready to apply (gathered all the documents & filled the forms) and hope to beat the rush and C6 be delayed until November :)

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
Very Similar to my case; will qualify under old rules on Oct-16th, I'll give 10 days as a buffer, then apply on Oct-26th. Have 80 days outside Canada, mainly for work.
My wife already qualified since early September, but she'll wait me, to have one family application with the kids.
Ready to apply (gathered all the documents & filled the forms) and hope to beat the rush and C6 be delayed until November :)
Just a quick warning, if you already filled the forms. When the date comes to send them, double check that they did not change the form version on the IRCC website. They just changed one form in August; and might be changing more. Otherwise you risk getting your application sent back to you.

Reactions: irieempress

alpalp

Jun 19, 2017
I'm sorry if my question is stupid - I am new to this forum and wasn't following other topics. I'm wondering why several people mentioned a time buffer before sending an application? Were there any examples of application rejection because it was sent too early(e.g. 3-5 days after becoming eligible)? Is it a bad idea to send it after 1462 days in Canada(with one 5 hours trip to US)? Thank you!

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Even if your applications "beat the rush" and get to CIC a few days / weeks before C-6, it will be in the same CIC storage room and processed by probably the same group of people - it will basically be like boarding a plane, when people from business class get in first , then different zones of economy class will get in later, but in the end they all have to wait and take off together - if you "beat the rush " by a few months it would avoid the big crowds , but with just a few days / weeks, it will hardly make any difference

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
Even if your applications "beat the rush" and get to CIC a few days / weeks before C-6, it will be in the same CIC storage room and processed by probably the same group of people - it will basically be like boarding a plane, when people from business class get in first , then different zones of economy class will get in later, but in the end they all have to wait and take off together - if you "beat the rush " by a few months it would avoid the big crowds , but with just a few days / weeks, it will hardly make any difference
This is valid assumption, but CIC some times differentiate between applications processing times based on date of application, e.g. processing time for applications submitted before 1-April 2015 is 24 months and 12 months for applications submitted after 1-April 2015. If we apply your theory, there shouldn't be one year difference in processing times between application sent on 31-March 2015 and 1-April 2015.
I can't claim that CIC will process applications submitted before C-6 implementation faster, but you can't be sure that they won't.

Reactions: Marvin101

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
Just a quick warning, if you already filled the forms. When the date comes to send them, double check that they did not change the form version on the IRCC website. They just changed one form in August; and might be changing more. Otherwise you risk getting your application sent back to you.
For sure I'll check that I'm submitting the up to date form before applying.
Thanks for the advice.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
This is valid assumption, but CIC some times differentiate between applications processing times based on date of application, e.g. processing time for applications submitted before 1-April 2015 is 24 months and 12 months for applications submitted after 1-April 2015. If we apply your theory, there shouldn't be one year difference in processing times between application sent on 31-March 2015 and 1-April 2015.
I can't claim that CIC will process applications submitted before C-6 implementation faster, but you can't be sure that they won't.
Exactly, and you can't be sure they will .
The minister had mentioned they would try to reassign staff to deal with the incoming volume of C6 applications , where will he reassign them from? A good guess would be from the C-24 staff - the math is simple, currently C-24 processing time is well below 12 months, while he is trying to keep the C-6 processing time around 12 months (unrealistic I know), so the natural solution is to even it out between the two by reassigning resources.

Just as a reference , many parents/grandparents sponsorship applications submitted in 2016 are already landing this year, while many submitted back in 2013 or earlier are still waiting

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I'm sorry if my question is stupid - I am new to this forum and wasn't following other topics. I'm wondering why several people mentioned a time buffer before sending an application? Were there any examples of application rejection because it was sent too early(e.g. 3-5 days after becoming eligible)? Is it a bad idea to send it after 1462 days in Canada(with one 5 hours trip to US)? Thank you!
Short answer:

Meeting the minimum presence requirement suffices. But that depends on a total-stranger bureaucrat reaching the conclusion that the applicant did indeed meet that minimum. Thus, a buffer, a margin over the minimum, is prudent because:
-- there is leeway for minor errors, either in what the applicant reports, or in what IRCC perceives
-- a margin quite likely makes it easier for an IRCC processing agent and the Citizenship Officer to be confident the applicant met the requirement, which can make the difference in whether the application is processed routinely or non-routinely, that is, without delay or subject to delays

Bottom-line, sometimes applying sooner can mean having to wait longer to become a citizen.

Longer explanation:

1460 days (under the current law) of actual physical presence meets the presence requirement. Not one more day is necessary.

So no, no one has been rejected because they submitted their application 3 or 5 days after becoming eligible . . . assuming that IRCC agrees, that is concludes, the application was made after the applicant became eligible.

However, more than a few applicants have been denied when they applied 3 to 5 days after they were certain they were eligible, when IRCC identified some days as questionable despite the applicant's certainty.

Many more applicants than that, however, have encountered delays in processing not because they fell short but because IRCC needed to conduct more screening to make sure the applicant did not fall short, to verify that in fact the applicant met the minimum 1460 day requirement.

1459 days actual presence will not suffice. IRCC has NO legal authority to grant citizenship to an applicant who falls short, even by the smallest margin. Thus IRCC MUST make sure an applicant met the minimum 1460 days. (To become 1095 days pursuant to a 3/5 rule, sometime this year.)

One question a prospective applicant might want to ask himself or herself is how much more comfortable a total-stranger bureaucrat might be concluding the applicant met the minimum if the applicant claims to have been present 1487 days rather than 1462 days.

Bottom-line, cutting-it-close and applying sooner elevates the risk that IRCC will see the need to examine the application and applicant more closely, which can lead to non-routine processing, which can delay how long it takes to become a citizen, by a few weeks or months, or many months, or longer.

Thus, even if the prospective applicant is for sure certain about the number of days present in Canada, AND certain there are no possible reasons why IRCC might have any concerns, IRCC must nonetheless do due diligence, and thus waiting a little longer to apply might mean becoming a citizen sooner.

We all make mistakes:

Those who are confident they will not make any mistakes are among those making the biggest mistakes (it is, for example, a big mistake to be confident you will not make any mistakes).

IRCC recognizes that we all makes mistakes and is usually flexible if not overtly generous in giving clients some leeway in this regard. But not all mistakes are created equal, of course, so some mistakes can have a more detrimental impact: omissions in the presence calculation, for example, can be particularly problematic.

Moreover, here too the prospective applicant, the prudent applicant, is cognizant of the difference between what might sabotage the application versus what might merely invite some questions or concerns thus leading to non-routine processing and delays. Except that most applicants, those who desire to have their application sail smoothly through the process without delays, realize that the latter is no mere trifle.

So the prudent applicant aims to make no mistakes, but recognizes the likelihood of making some mistakes, and thus is really focused on minimizing mistakes. The main objective is to make a valid application which will be granted. But for most it is also their objective to make an application which will not encounter concerns or questions, to avoid non-routine processing and delays, to especially avoid the onerous burden of RQ (which is not only seriously inconvenient, but profoundly intrusive into one's privacy, and it can lead to extraordinarily long delays).

That noted, obviously you will be a lot more careful completing the application than posting in a forum like this, but it is so so easy to make little mistakes.

never left Canada since the arrival and had just one 5 hours trip to US
Key question encountered in completing the presence calculation: did you leave Canada (during the relevant time period)? Answer this no, then no boxes come up for entering dates of travel outside Canada. That is, answer this no, then no place to report that trip to the U.S., that is, that trip outside Canada (day trips are to be reported).

I doubt you will make that error. I do not doubt, however, you will make some mistake or mistakes, preferrably few and minor. Whether a small mistake or just circumstances might invite a question or three, probably worth considering how comfortable the total-stranger bureaucrat assessing your application might be about concluding you met the 1460 day minimum, if you apply with 1491 days or with 1463 days.

Reactions: alpalp

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
Has anybody else noticed when using the physical presence calculator that it sometimes "zeroes out" your calculation, and tells you that you do not have enough physical presence to apply? You then have to re-calculate, or log off and back in for your days to reappear?

Perhaps IRCC is doing modifications to the calculator site in preparation for rollout of C6.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
i will be eligible on October 12. I am struggling about the submission date as I have been waiting too long, but at the same time wanting to give an appropriate 'margin'... A question about taxation year in the application form: Do i need to include 2017 in the table or not? I am not so sure as i won't file a tax return for the year of 2017 until early 2018. Thanks if anyone has the answer. thanks!

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
i will be eligible on October 12. I am struggling about the submission date as I have been waiting too long, but at the same time wanting to give an appropriate 'margin'... A question about taxation year in the application form: Do i need to include 2017 in the table or not? I am not so sure as i won't file a tax return for the year of 2017 until early 2018. Thanks if anyone has the answer. thanks!
I've seen it explained on another thread here: no you don't need to include 2017, because you are not required at the time of application to have filed your 2017 tax return.