+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nursing jobs and requirements in Canada

velocity

Oct 8, 2008
USA
Hello,

I am totally new to this site and to the Canadian Immigration issues. Please shed some light to some of the questions I have.

First of all, about me, I am a recent graduate nurse (BSN from US) and licensed as a RN in US. I am not currently employed and do not have any nursing experience except for clinical rotations that I did while in nursing school.

1. What are the licensing requirements in Canada, lets say in BC?
2. With the level of education I have, will I be able to work as a RN in Canada?
3. How does nursing job market look like in Canada?
4. My husband has a Bachelor's degree in Accounting & Business Admin., and currently pursuing Masters in Accounting, has total of 3 years experience in the related field. I see that in some of the Canadian immigration sites, they list our professions as those that require licenses. What does he have to do in order to be licensed in Canada, again lets say in BC?
5. Is a license necessary to apply for immigration to Canada as an independent skilled worker?

I apologize for my ignorance, and would highly appreciate any response.

Thank you!

ssanndy

Star Member
Aug 21, 2008
Hi
This is some information i gathered. But dont take it as Gospel.. Do you research too and clarify situation ok?

1. What are the licensing requirements in Canada, lets say in BC? For BC ..You have to do a National Canadian exam even if you pass the NCLEX in US www.crnbc.ca/ . For Alberta they accept the NCLEX result so they just transfer the license ( it takes six weeks and a small fee) https://www.nurses.ab.ca/Carna/404.aspx

2. With the level of education I have, will I be able to work as a RN in Canada? I guess some employers will take u...... but try to get experience in US while doing the process

3. How does nursing job market look like in Canada? From whhat i heard and my research it is in high demand in BC and Alberta

4. My husband has a Bachelor's degree in Accounting & Business Admin., and currently pursuing Masters in Accounting, has total of 3 years experience in the related field. I see that in some of the Canadian immigration sites, they list our professions as those that require licenses. What does he have to do in order to be licensed in Canada, again lets say in BC? Not sure about accounting

5. Is a license necessary to apply for immigration to Canada as an independent skilled worker? Yes. In order to apply for a job and get the offfer i am sure you have to be lisence as a RN in the particular Province first.

As i said this info is gathered from my research and calling these nurses registration company.. as i said u can do urs.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Actually Nursing is Provincially regulated,For example a nurse licensed in Ontario cannot work in B.C without being licensed in B.C and vice versa.I can only speak for my province,But I called the Future Search and Health Match people and We would welcome her to B.C If you need help contact me by PM and I will give you the contact numbers

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know a couple who are an RN and LPN from Ontario and they moved to AB. According to them, the RN is a lot better regulated between the provinces so it is not a big deal for an RN to get licensed in another province. For an LPN, it's not as regulated. Basically depends on some committee for the LPN's if they approve you or not and what they require.