+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Open Work Permit (after PGWP)

Irisclaire

Jul 10, 2018
Hi,
As many already know that canadian government announced a new way of getting open work permit for those whose PGWP expires between Jan 27 and Jul 27 (or longer?). https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2021/01/government-of-canada-announces-new-policy-to-help-former-international-students-live-in-work-in-and-continue-contributing-to-canada.html

My husband's PGWP expires on June 1st (so as my SOWP). We are currently in a process of getting PR through quebec, so previously our plan to extend the WP was to get a closed one with the company I work at (they already agreed to provide it). However, with the new law we consider to apply for the new open work permit since we qualify (I hope...will see on Jan 27).

I have some worries and would like to ask: after graduation my husband had a 3-month contract at a company (which helped me to get SOWP). But after that contract finished, it took him a year to find a job (quebec is not easy on english-speakers). Does anybody know if it can be a problem? Should we write a letter of explanation and provide a proof that my husband was attending interviews and sent his CV to lots of companies. I could not find any information or law what to do in a situation if a holder of open work permit cannot find a job.