+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with PR status

UStoCanada456

Jan 25, 2017
Hi,

My wife and I live in US and we received our Canadian PR last year and our 5 years time period expires Dec 2022. We plan to move to Toronto mid next year. My wife was the primary applicant for our PR application.

However, we now have a situation where my wife might need to travel for work overseas for 1 year and then I might be the only one moving to Canada to keep our PR active and after she finishes her 1 year assignment, she will join me in Canada. However, when she moves to Canada she won't be able to meet the 2 years out of 5 years residency requirement but I will.

So my question is will she lose her PR? Can I sponsor her PR card when I renew mine or will she be denied PR because she didn't meet her requirements under Express Entry when she was first given the PR?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
She will be in breach of her residency obligation. If a borderofficer accepts why she was not able to meet her obligation, she may be let into Canada without issue. If a border officer does not accept her explanation, she will be let into Canada but will begin the process of losing her PR, which she could appeal.

If she is reported and loses her PR, you could sponsor her as long as you meet the obligation and are in Canada. She could also renounce her PR status now and you could sponsor her after you arrive in Canada.

Reactions: sao_18