+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need clarifcation, Inland PR, OWP app sent separately

joeschmo

Sep 25, 2014
Hello all,

I was advised that this may be a better section to ask, so here goes..

I've had my inland spousal PR app (I'm a 'Murican) submitted since April, 2014 with AOR received in August 2014. I REALLY wish it were more clear that I could have applied "outland" but that's a different story. Since that time my original closed work permit expired and I had taken a second job with a new company for a six month managerial position (management permit obtained at the border). That permit has since expired as of February 26, 2015. I submitted for the OWP under the pilot program in early February so now I am here under implied status with two apps pending approval, PR and OWP separately.

Since my last position and my most recent permit expired in February I have been presented with an opportunity that means I have to go to Europe in mid-May for a week or two at most. I am working online only for one client in Europe with a second BIG client in Europe asking me to do work for them as well. I need to go to Europe to do some video and production work.

The problem, or question, is this. What can I do to ensure the highest probablity of not getting hassled when i return to Canada and refused re-entry? I have no actual status any longer till I get my new OWP but with the way things are going I'm not sure it will arrive before May 15th (when I'm due to leave). Is this a big gamble with bad odds? Should I just postpone till I get the OWP? Being early February I probably won't get my OWP (assuming I'm approved) till Early June. Is there an option to apply for a visitor Visa before I leave with a chance of it arriving in time? I'm confused but also extremely worried that this delay is costing me a profitable opportunity. Before I moved to Canada I never had a problem coming or going but I don't want my return this trip to be "that one time" scenario for me.

Any and all advice is appreciated in advance.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
joeschmo said:
Hello all,

I've had my inland spousal PR app (I'm a 'Murican) submitted since April, 2014 with AOR received in August 2014. I REALLY wish it were more clear that I could have applied "outland" but that's a different story. Since that time my original closed work permit expired and I had taken a second job with a new company for a six month managerial position (management permit obtained at the border). That permit has since expired as of February 26, 2015. I submitted for the OWP under the pilot program in early February so now I am here under implied status with two apps pending approval, PR and OWP separately.

Since my last position and my most recent permit expired in February I have been presented with an opportunity that means I have to go to Europe in mid-May for a week or two at most. I am working online only for one client in Europe with a second BIG client in Europe asking me to do work for them as well. I need to go to Europe to do some video and production work.

The problem, or question, is this. What can I do to ensure the highest probablity of not getting hassled when i return to Canada and refused re-entry? I have no actual status any longer till I get my new OWP but with the way things are going I'm not sure it will arrive before May 15th (when I'm due to leave). Is this a big gamble with bad odds? Should I just postpone till I get the OWP? Being early February I probably won't get my OWP (assuming I'm approved) till Early June. Is there an option to apply for a visitor Visa before I leave with a chance of it arriving in time? I'm confused but also extremely worried that this delay is costing me a profitable opportunity. Before I moved to Canada I never had a problem coming or going but I don't want my return this trip to be "that one time" scenario for me.

I suspect that this is an old message that you copied here, since it's no longer early February. ;)

Being an American, you cannot apply for a visitor visa, since you are visa-exempt. You are assessed at the border and are either allowed to enter (for up to 6 months), or denied.
The honest truth is that there's really no way of knowing if you'll have any problems when you try to return to Canada; even having the OWP doesn't guarantee anything because it will probably have something on it that indicates that it does not, in and of itself, authorize re-entry.

If a person would otherwise be admissible to Canada, having an Inland application for spousal sponsorship doesn't hurt them. The problem is, that if said person were to be denied re-entry, that could be devastating to the Inland application.

Also, the minute you leave Canada, your implied status leaves with you. It's probably a moot point, since your re-entry would in essence reset the clock for you, but I honestly don't know if/how that would effect (or is it affect?) the OWP eligibility. If you submitted it with implied status...leave and then return...does it matter that you basically had no status while out of Canada, before you have the OWP?

*shrug*

joeschmo

Sep 25, 2014
joeschmo said:
Hello all,

Good news, good news and so-so news. For those that may be wondering the same thing, I decided to do it. I went to Europe (and Turkey) for business, was gone nearly two weeks, and I came home with zero hassle. The customs agent even acknowedged that he understood what was going on (waiting for PR) noticed that my customs declaration form stated I live in Canada and I was through in no more than 20 seconds flat.

Second, I got my OWP in the mail on June 2nd, 3.5 months after submitting it. It is good for two years. YAY!

Third, got an email also on June 2nd stating my form 5669E and 5406E were incomplete. So, tomorrow I have more work to do:(