+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Candid Advice!

nhillary

May 21, 2023
Last year, my family and I relocated to Canada. Upon moving, my spouse received an offer to study nursing at Georgian College in Ontario. Before she could start, however, I secured a position as an IT Auditor in Calgary, Alberta, with an annual salary of $82,000.

We arrived in Alberta in October 2023 but planned to move to Ontario in January 2024 for my spouse's program (Nursing Diploma). In January, we flew to Ontario. Due to the partial remote work nature of my job, I was able to move with my family to support them.

While in Alberta, we applied to an Alberta college (Lethbridge College), hoping my spouse could transfer her program there. We succeeded in getting admission and have already paid a $1,000 tuition deposit.

The dilemma we're facing now is deciding if moving back to Alberta aligns with our goals for a good life and obtaining permanent residency (PR), especially considering my job is there. However, my spouse is apprehensive about starting over in the program, which also lasts two years.

I'm in need of guidance to make a well-informed and unbiased decision.

Pdm_ca

Nov 26, 2022
Couple of things can help you take a final call:

1. For PR - based on ongoing CRS trends, in-demand NOCs & category based draws, assess where you and your wife would stand when the time is right for PR. Remember Ontario is popular for healthcare draws (at least in current situation) and i am assuming being in IT you can qualify in STEM. But on the other side healthcare is in demand all across Canada and i am sure your wife can secure a job there as well If your intention stands to move post finishing the program.

2. Is your employer open to you work remotely all throughout based in Ontario or perhaps move your job to Ontario? Sustainability is important when one partner is focused on studying. Important factor but employer consideration needs to be weighed.

3. Standard of living & affordability is a big question mark nowadays - there’s no denying that Alberta is popular for this reason as well.

Sometimes we all have to reshuffle our lives and adjust plans to fit to the most important nearest goal - in your case it sounds like PR As of now. Hence, if Alberta keeps you closer to that then restarting couple of months of studies is fine guess.

All the best!

Reactions: huzafa6993