+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My NOC Requires Degree I Don't Have?

May 19, 2024
I worked as a veterinary technician (NOC 32104) in the US for 6 years between 2017-2023. In my state, though, the position is fairly unregulated, and I was able to qualify as one because I have an unrelated bachelor's degree (psychology) and on the job training. On the website, the education requirements list that a two to three year degree in animal health technology is required, and I don't specifically have that degree. Is this just to work in Canada, or is this considered a requirement to qualify under that NOC?

I noticed that the job title examples on that NOC also included "veterinary assistants", which are an unregulated profession that does not usually require a degree or certification in the US or Canada. This meaning that they can qualify for employment with experience in lieu of formal training, but they still meet all of the potential requirements listed under the NOC other than the animal health tech degree requirements. This is what I would intend to work as while working to get certified as a full veterinary technician in Canada. There is a related TEER 5 qualification (65220) applies to kennel attendants and dog groomers, but that's not what my career entailed-- I drew blood, placed catheters, ran and read lab tests, administered anesthesia under supervision of a veterinarian, conducted radiographs, etc.. All things included in the NOC 32104 description but NOT in the 65220 code description.

Will it matter that I don't have that degree as long as I can get a letter from my former boss certifying that I did all of the normal job duties of a veterinary technician/assistant?

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
I worked as a veterinary technician (NOC 32104) in the US for 6 years between 2017-2023. In my state, though, the position is fairly unregulated, and I was able to qualify as one because I have an unrelated bachelor's degree (psychology) and on the job training. On the website, the education requirements list that a two to three year degree in animal health technology is required, and I don't specifically have that degree. Is this just to work in Canada, or is this considered a requirement to qualify under that NOC?

I noticed that the job title examples on that NOC also included "veterinary assistants", which are an unregulated profession that does not usually require a degree or certification in the US or Canada. This meaning that they can qualify for employment with experience in lieu of formal training, but they still meet all of the potential requirements listed under the NOC other than the animal health tech degree requirements. This is what I would intend to work as while working to get certified as a full veterinary technician in Canada. There is a related TEER 5 qualification (65220) applies to kennel attendants and dog groomers, but that's not what my career entailed-- I drew blood, placed catheters, ran and read lab tests, administered anesthesia under supervision of a veterinarian, conducted radiographs, etc.. All things included in the NOC 32104 description but NOT in the 65220 code description.

Will it matter that I don't have that degree as long as I can get a letter from my former boss certifying that I did all of the normal job duties of a veterinary technician/assistant?
Match the NOC to your skills and papers, go by what describes your work best , not titles

May 19, 2024
Match the NOC to your skills and papers, go by what describes your work best , not titles
What do you mean, papers? The skills listed 100% match what I did and describe my work best. I just don't have an animal health technology degree specifically. Do you know if that's required for me to use that NOC?