+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My experience in arranging month to month rental in Calgary.

Sinbad

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 9,2010
LANDED..........
Apr 24,2011
I thought I will post this, since I have seen many questions on arranging short term rentals.

My reasons for arranging short term rental were

1. I was moving from US for good and needed an address to send our stuff.
2. I had a six month old baby, so didnt want the hassle of searching an apartment with the baby.
3. I wanted an address in Calgary to send PR cards and we didnt know anybody here in Calgary

So I searched using rentfaster.ca which is a very good,user friendly site which has the option of choosing short term rentals and no basements.

From the addresses I got from the site, I called the property managers.
The questions they asked were
1. Do u have a job? Ans: No.
2. How will you pay for the rent? Ans: I have good bank balance.

One manager informed that She would like to see us in person before she rents out. But arranging the month to month rental was easy for us.

I am pasting the mail I received from the property manager,

"We have received your banking information.Would you be able to provide your Social Insurance Number in order for us to confirm your identity for the required application process. We will need to conduct a credit check, employment check as well as a current landlord reference check."

To this I informed that, I donot have SIN and I provided US Social security. I gave the US job details (which I am sure they didnt check). I think they called my US landlord.

I gave US creditcard for the payment. They were willing to accept money order too.

To make the story short, before starting from Tx, I had an accommodation arranged.

My take on arranging apartment before landing - Dont do it unless you have some pressing personal reasons.

Short term is $100 more than the normal rent. We are paying 1325 a month which includes parking. (This apartment is NOT WORTH the amount I pay. I have some personal reasons for still staying here)

It is better to read the rental agreement before you sign. In my agreement,( even though mine was a month to month lease), there is a minimum of three months stay clause. ???

In US(atleast in Tx where I stayed), the carpets used to be cleaned by professional cleaners (if we request)once a year. Here there is a clause which says, we have to get it cleaned by professional cleaners, when we move out. We have to clean the apartment in US but we dont have to get the carpets cleaned by cleaners when we move out. I am not sure whether, this is a requirement by most of the Canadian Landlords.

One can arrange good apartments with a week or two of coming to Canada. So its better to see and then rent.
As for PR cards, you can give the address later.

Sinbad

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 9,2010
LANDED..........
Apr 24,2011
I forgot to add about the application fee.
The apartment manager(where I eventually rented), first asked for a months rent as application fee. She informed me that this fee will be held as security deposit, if my application was accepted. If rejected, the fee will be eventually returned to me by post to the address provided. The fee will not be returned, if my application was accepted and I failed to rent the property.

I requested her to consider my application without security deposit as I will be leaving Texas, and cannot provide them with an address. The manager agreed to this.

lee26

Star Member
Jul 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2009
Nomination.....
10-01-2010
AOR Received.
04-11-2010
File Transfer...
30-03-2011
Med's Request
10-11-2010
Med's Done....
20-11-2010
Passport Req..
23-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2011
Hi sindbad,

It has been long time i talked to you. hope you are doing well. Did you get your pr cards..? Iam sorry to ask you.. Did you get any job. How is the job market there. Please reply.

Thanks
Lee

Sinbad

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 9,2010
LANDED..........
Apr 24,2011
I am doing good.Thank you.
PR cards - http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ainp-srs-h1b-landing-experience-and-post-landing-related-activities-t46784.0.html;msg984066#msg984066

As for job, I was planing to take a long vacation after receiving PR cards, so didnt search for any till July mid. When it became clear that my wife and kid will not be receiving their PR cards, any time soon, had to abandon my vacation plans.

Then I applied for two jobs, got the call immediately for one. Got the job within 4 days of applying. The problem - it is in Toronto.
I didnt hear from the other company.

I am not very sure about IT jobs in Calgary. I didnt find anything else, for which I can apply. Thought will move to Toronto and then come back to Calgary after a year. Being Alberta nominee, I feel I have an obligation to stay here in Calgary.

Anyway, job market is not as good as that in US, I think.

I like Calgary better than Toronto.

I am not sure whether my moving will cause a problem for me, being a provincial nominee. For now, I am flying to Toronto as family is still in Calgary. But I will have to move eventually.
Seniors, please comment on this.