+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My experience getting TRV approved for my Fiance

sg33

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Hey guys, thought this post may help some of you so i would just like to share my journey to getting my TRV approved for my Fiance. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

My background:
- Indian Citizen.
- PR in Canada.
- Work as an IT consultant (IT Contractor).

My Fiance's Background
- Indian Citizen.
- Working in UK on deputation (Visa valid till 13 March, 2016).

We did a lot of research and put in a lot of effort and time to review and make sure that we give as much information as we can, i am just summarizing the documents we submitted below:
1) Invitation Letter from me (Indication when and where we are getting marriage and explaining the background in detail)
2) Cover Letter from her (confirming the reason for the application).
3) Bank Statement for me (Since i was the one sponsoring her trip).
4) Bank Statement from her Indian and UK accounts (Proof of funds with her).
5) My Business Incorporation documents (to prove i work).
6) My Business's bank account (proof of funds).
7) Her Passport.
8) My Passport photo copies.
9) Her UK visa.
10) MY PR card copy.
11) Her deputation letter and company's letter indicating there is no reason she won't come back for work after her trip.
12) Her boss's approval (indicating that she will return.)
13) Ticket booked from Jan 17- Jan 31st, 2016 for her visit to Canada (refundable in case she doesn't get the Visa)
14) Medical insurance for her trip here(a must).
15) Our marriage Venue booking (to prove that we are getting married in India).
16) Application form, checklist, family information forms.
17) Her and my parent's passport copies (since she didn't have property in India).
18) Her IT returns for last 3 years (proof that she is not doing tax evasion of any sort).
19) Her paystubs for past 6 months (to show steady salary income).
20) Her Rental Lease in UK (proof of residence in UK)
21) My rental lease in Canada (since she will live with me during my visit).
22) Our trip to India in November for a pre wedding ceremony (to prove she is my Fiance).
23) Photos with families for the ceremony (proof that we are getting married).
24) Snippets of our whatsapp chat and call history.

Other information:
1) She submitted the application in person and not online, because we wanted to submit all the supporting documents as well and i believe no one wants to open all the PDFs to look at on a computer. With in person application it is very easy to just look and confirm that all the documents are there (doubt they read all the documents though) plus the VFS officer will let you know in case you miss anything.
2) I didn't want to lie on the application to avoid problems down the line when her PR application is in progress.
3) Processing time was 1 day.
4) Her visa is multiple entry valid till 2020 (her passport expires in 2020).
5) Your Visa office may say that they don't need that many documents but we had to insist and they took it.

varun0284

Oct 31, 2016
Hi SG

My wife just got her temporary residence visa till 2022 (till the validity o her passport). I had almost the same list of documents for my wife's TRV.

I am still on a work permit in Canada and plan to apply for the PR once my wife is in Canada which will be in February 2017.

Here's my question: Though the visa is valid till 2022 but how long can my wife stay in Canada at a stretch? Is there anything we can do to remove any restriction on her continuous stay till the validity of her TRV? Some of my friends mentioned about getting the TRV converted to a dependent visa, but no ones sure how that works.

We also plan to apply for her work permit once she is here. In my understanding an open work permit --> worker visa, should remove any restriction on her stay till the validity of the said work permit.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks and cheers !

Varun Arora

Reactions: King Ush

sg33

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Hi Varun -

They allow you to a stay of up to 6 months on a visitor visa, you will have to apply for an extension if you want to stay longer than that.

I had friends who were working on work permit and their companies applied for the dependent visa for the spouse. On a dependent visa she can stay with you as long as your work permit allows. If your company can do it for you, i will suggest to go through that route.

You can apply for a dependent visa separately, this link may help: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

I don't think you need to convert it, just apply and fill in the details and you should be fine.

After she gets the dependent visa, you can then apply for the Open work permit.

Cheers!
SG

praveenkumarsr

Jan 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Hey SG,

How are you? Congrats on the way you put down your application and received the visa. Thanks for the information! It is very helpful. I am applying for my fiancee, who is working in India.

I have a few questions as I am going through the same route.
  1. What details were provided in the cover letter from your wife (then fiancee)? Can you send those in a personal message to me?
  2. Processing was 1 day? You mean you got the visa stamped in a day?
Awaiting your response. Thanks again!

King Ush

Aug 3, 2017
Hi Varun -

They allow you to a stay of up to 6 months on a visitor visa, you will have to apply for an extension if you want to stay longer than that.

I had friends who were working on work permit and their companies applied for the dependent visa for the spouse. On a dependent visa she can stay with you as long as your work permit allows. If your company can do it for you, i will suggest to go through that route.

You can apply for a dependent visa separately, this link may help: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

I don't think you need to convert it, just apply and fill in the details and you should be fine.

After she gets the dependent visa, you can then apply for the Open work permit.

Cheers!
SG
Indeed a perfect response. Cheers

sg33

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Hey SG,

How are you? Congrats on the way you put down your application and received the visa. Thanks for the information! It is very helpful. I am applying for my fiancee, who is working in India.

I have a few questions as I am going through the same route.
  1. What details were provided in the cover letter from your wife (then fiancee)? Can you send those in a personal message to me?
  2. Processing was 1 day? You mean you got the visa stamped in a day?
Hey Praveen -

Below is what our cover letter looked like.

Date: 11 Dec 2016

To: The Visa Officer
The Canadian High Commission
United Kingdom
Sub: Cover Letter – Request for Issuance of Canada - Visitor Visa
Respected Sir/Madam,
I, Applicant's Name, born on DOB would like to verify my purpose to apply for a Canada Visitor Visa to see my Fiancé Mr. Sponsor's Name (born on DOB) for a short period of time starting on Date of your ticket and ending on Date of return (the travel tickets and the medical insurance are attached with the application).

I am a citizen of India and am currently working in the UK with ABC Comapny on Tier 2 ICT Short Term Staff Migrant Work Permit. I live in a rental apartment at "Address". Sponsor and I are getting married on Date of Marriage in City you are getting married in, India (Venue booking receipt is part of the supporting documents).

Both of us went to India in Nov, 2016 to do our Roka ceremony (a traditional Indian pre wedding ritual) with our close relatives and friends. On this short visit I plan to meet Sponsor's friends and see places like Niagara Falls, CN Tower, Royal Ontario Museum and some other close by places. We plan to do some marriage related shopping as well.

During my stay in Canada, I will live with my Fiancé Sponsor's Name in his condo apartment (Sponsor's Address), which he rents from Landlord's Name. My Fiance will be providing the lodging, boarding and sponsor my visit to Canada. If need be, I also hold enough funds in my bank accounts (my bank statements are attached with the application).

I would also like to emphasize that under no circumstances would I remain in Canada further than the period allowed for my stay and would comply fully by the conditions of my visa.
As part of the application, I am attaching the following documents to support the above information and the application:
1. My Travel Tickets.
2. Medical Insurance for my trip.
3. My Passport with travel history.
4. My UK Visa.
5. Photos of our Roka ceremony.
6. Venue Booking Receipt for marriage in India.
7. My recent Bank Statements for proof of funds.
8. My Fiancé Sponsor's recent Bank statements.
9. Recent Pay stubs.
10. My Employment Letter
11. Leave approval obtained from work.
12. Rental Lease in UK.
13. Proof of Travel to India in Nov, 2016 for Roka ceremony (both me and my Fiancé)
14. Invitation Letter from my Fiancé Sponsor's Name.
15. Fiancé’s Passport and PR Card copy.
16. Copies of my Parent’s passport.
17. Snippets of chat and call history screenshots.
18. My income tax returns for last three years.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thanking you,
Applicant's Name
Address:
Mobile
E-Mail : workemail / personalemail

sg33

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Processing was 1 day? You mean you got the visa stamped in a day?
Yes it took one day for the visa to get stamped, but this varies from visa office to visa office.

For your fiance, since she is working in India it is imperative to show her ties to the home country to show CIC that she would return back and doesn't intend to overstay. If she has a property or rental agreement on her name, ties to parent's home etc. then you should definitely attach those documents. The list in my original post is pretty exhaustive and should cover most of the questions CIC has but additional documents won't harm.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
Hey Praveen -

Below is what our cover letter looked like.

Date: 11 Dec 2016

To: The Visa Officer
The Canadian High Commission
United Kingdom
Sub: Cover Letter – Request for Issuance of Canada - Visitor Visa
Respected Sir/Madam,
I, Applicant's Name, born on DOB would like to verify my purpose to apply for a Canada Visitor Visa to see my Fiancé Mr. Sponsor's Name (born on DOB) for a short period of time starting on Date of your ticket and ending on Date of return (the travel tickets and the medical insurance are attached with the application).

I am a citizen of India and am currently working in the UK with ABC Comapny on Tier 2 ICT Short Term Staff Migrant Work Permit. I live in a rental apartment at "Address". Sponsor and I are getting married on Date of Marriage in City you are getting married in, India (Venue booking receipt is part of the supporting documents).

Both of us went to India in Nov, 2016 to do our Roka ceremony (a traditional Indian pre wedding ritual) with our close relatives and friends. On this short visit I plan to meet Sponsor's friends and see places like Niagara Falls, CN Tower, Royal Ontario Museum and some other close by places. We plan to do some marriage related shopping as well.

During my stay in Canada, I will live with my Fiancé Sponsor's Name in his condo apartment (Sponsor's Address), which he rents from Landlord's Name. My Fiance will be providing the lodging, boarding and sponsor my visit to Canada. If need be, I also hold enough funds in my bank accounts (my bank statements are attached with the application).

I would also like to emphasize that under no circumstances would I remain in Canada further than the period allowed for my stay and would comply fully by the conditions of my visa.
As part of the application, I am attaching the following documents to support the above information and the application:
1. My Travel Tickets.
2. Medical Insurance for my trip.
3. My Passport with travel history.
4. My UK Visa.
5. Photos of our Roka ceremony.
6. Venue Booking Receipt for marriage in India.
7. My recent Bank Statements for proof of funds.
8. My Fiancé Sponsor's recent Bank statements.
9. Recent Pay stubs.
10. My Employment Letter
11. Leave approval obtained from work.
12. Rental Lease in UK.
13. Proof of Travel to India in Nov, 2016 for Roka ceremony (both me and my Fiancé)
14. Invitation Letter from my Fiancé Sponsor's Name.
15. Fiancé’s Passport and PR Card copy.
16. Copies of my Parent’s passport.
17. Snippets of chat and call history screenshots.
18. My income tax returns for last three years.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thanking you,
Applicant's Name
Address:
Mobile
E-Mail : workemail / personalemail
Thank you so much! It is very helpful.
For the number of photos, I am planning to send 10 with the application. Hope this is not much or less. Let me know otherwise.
Thanks once again!

sg33

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Thank you so much! It is very helpful.
For the number of photos, I am planning to send 10 with the application. Hope this is not much or less. Let me know otherwise.
Thanks once again!
We also had around 10-12 photos with our application. Just make sure the photos have the parents and other family members/friends and not just the two of you.

sg33

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Also, would like to mention that a return ticket and a medical insurance are very important documents. You can book a refundable ticket and then cancel later if your fiance can't travel and do a medical insurance online (generally cost less than $50 for a trip).

raj_g

Star Member
May 15, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Hi all,

I am PR in Canada and recently got married in Feb. I applied for visitor visa for my wife when she was my fiance, but it was refused. Now I have replied for her visitor visa again after I have already applied for her Spousal PR. I am just waiting to hear back on visitor visa application.

RJ

praveenkumarsr

Jan 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Hi all,

I am PR in Canada and recently got married in Feb. I applied for visitor visa for my wife when she was my fiance, but it was refused. Now I have replied for her visitor visa again after I have already applied for her Spousal PR. I am just waiting to hear back on visitor visa application.

RJ
Did you submit all the documents as suggested above ?

kaniro

Jul 13, 2017
Quick question : I applied for a visitor visa for my wife while immigration proceedings are in process, but unfortunately it is now refused for really no reason , stating that officer was not satisfied that my wife would respect the terms of her admission, which kinda doesn't makes sense to me as she is a government employee in India and NOC was provided with application. Now the quick was that how long do I have to wait to re-apply , if We decide to provide even stronger application this time ? Is there any time gap to be maintained ?

Aakash Evans

Sep 22, 2014
I recently did my soft landing in Canada and I am getting married in the last week of December. I am permanently shifting to Canada in Feb 2018 and then plan to apply for sponsorship. I had a couple of questions.

1) Can I apply for visitors while the sponsorship application is going in the background? I have heard that it usually gets rejected.
2) Let's say she gets the visitors visa and the sponsorship application is going on. Will this affect the sponsorship application?
3) If she gets the sponsorship application and she is still residing in Canada on a visitors visa, does she need to go back to finish any formalities?