+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to the US after applying for citizenship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ajslp said:
- that person can return to Canada and get access to medical care after 3 months if he/she gets some diseases which can be expensive like cancers.
They can even get health care right away in many provinces as they would be moving from a abroad and don't forget, if something bad happens in their lives, they can move back immediately and go on welfare or disability.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ajslp said:
How is it not a passport of convenience as one person is not a resident of Canada and not paying any taxes to Canada but
- that person can use the visa free travel throughout the world that Canadian government have negotiated.
- that person can use Canadian citizenship status to gain better employment in some countries in middle east.
- that person can return to Canada anytime he/she wishes to.
- that person can return to Canada and get access to medical care after 3 months if he/she gets some diseases which can be expensive like cancers.
- that person can sponsor his children and grand children and get access to Canadian Universities.

The list goes on. @ rajmalhotra7 has mentioned few points too.

The goal of allowing an immigrant to become a citizen is that there is a hope that person resides in the country, contributes to the economy/society, pays taxes among other things. Like some member already mentioned if only a small percentage of people use Canadian citizenship as a stop gap solution or as a backup scenario or ticket to move on to USA or other countries, CIC is not going to bother. But if they see it is becoming a major trend, they will reevaluate the system and make changes.

And addressing @ EasyRider's concern, if a major percentage of people abuse the social security system and it starts affecting Canadian welfare system, I am sure government will address it. You can suggest your ideas and opinions on how to improve the system to the right agencies.

And look from another angle. Let's say, a first generation immigrant abuses social welfare payment. But if his family stays in Canada, his kids will grow up with a Canadian education. I am sure he/she won't be just satisfied with that small allowance offered by social welfare. He/she can go to Universities, get degree and get a better job. Then he/she will be contributing to the Canadian society and economy. But if a person leaves Canada, how is Canada going to benefit from that. That person will only return to Canada if his/her situation gets bad and Canada has to support him/her.
Well said.... +1

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
Major reasons to get an RQ:

1.) 10 years US Visa B1/B2 in your passport.

2.) Mentioning the word "Unemployed" in your citizenship application.

3.) Mentioning the word " Vacation " in your application.

4.) Mentioning the word " Homemaker " in your application.

5.) Too many US Entry Stamps in your passport.

6.) Entire family applying for citizenship in one application will trigger long processing time and RQ.

House Wife's staying at home are more likely to get RQ'S.

I don't mean to scare anyone. Just my personal opinion.

:-X

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Guys,

Please , someone tell me if there is a difference in timeline or delays between getting RQ Before or After the citizenship test.

I will appreciate any feed back

AnonymousB

Oct 14, 2012
There are a lot of negative, angry and jealous people here... If one has fulfilled his days under the law and completed his time 3/4, there is very little cic can do to ban him form getting citizenship, period. Cic or the current government are not evil goddess who have nothing to do but to take revange against people and screw them on a personal level because they don't stay after applying..... The judges are not mad men who are out there to destroy people and put them in prison..... If the case is genuine then it will be processed, period. No immigration judge or cic officer will risk his professional integrity just to punish someone who decided to leave after applying....this is plain bs, there is public accountability, there is media, MPs in Canada... You guys make it sound like we are living in the jungle.....Anyone can get delayed in the process, anyone can get a RQ or meet a judge, but no need to be scared if you are genuine and have nothing to hide.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AnonymousB said:
There are a lot of negative, angry and jealous people here... If one has fulfilled his days under the law and completed his time 3/4, there is very little cic can do to ban him form getting citizenship, period.
This is true. However, because of many recent cases of fraudulent applications, CIC is being careful. Like it or not, moving after you apply is one thing that makes it more likely for you to get an RQ. If you get an RQ, like it or not, you are delayed. If you are unlucky, you may get delayed so much (3 yrs.) that you face the decision of either having to move back or losing your PR and citizenship application.

I am not saying CIC is doing this on purpose although it could be possible but like you said, people get delayed for various reasons. My own citizenship application took 2.5 years and I have no idea why. People in my area were mostly taking around a year at that time. I applied after 4 years in Canada and during that time, I had been studying for 1 year and working for 3. I had only taken 1 trip outside Canada during that time and that was for 2 or 3 weeks. I didn't even get an RQ, they never asked me for anything. I waited and eventually it came through.

If I had been living outside Canada for my whole processing time and say I had not gotten the notification to appear for my test in time and had missed it because of that, due to rescheduling time it would have been more than 3 years for me.

AnonymousB

Oct 14, 2012
Hello Leon, I am sorry that you had a bad experience but it does not mean that everyone is. In fact, most people who go through the system happily do not bother posting on the net and acting as experts spreading doom and gloom. this is NET Amplification at its best, most happy users don't bother posting or visiting forms, not so happy users will make there voice heard more than the silent happy majority.....i am sure if we do a survey on this form the majority is people with problems, but you claim this as a fact beyond this form.....

-lets not assume that the guy is getting an RQ
-lets not assume that he will be delayed for 3 years
-lets not assume his PR will be expired then RESULTING in him having to come back and spend another 3 years to go through the process again.....
its good to assume the worst, but this is beyond pessimistic.....

the guy could easily extended his PR on the 4th year and gain another 5 years because he had spent 2 years here already, DO not tell me he will be refused PR renewal....-
-the argument that the expired PR card will ban him form the citizenship is ridiculous, the law says "Residence does not necessarily mean physical presence in Canada."
Immigration officers, CIC, the forms are only concerned with where have you been physically in the past 4 years before the application date, PERIOD. There is no emotional grudge or hatred implicated in slowing the applicant if you decided to retire on the moon after that, PERIOD.

Section 5(1) of the Citizenship Act also requires "3 years of residence out of the 4 years
immediately preceding the date of the application.

All the guy has to do is to keep an active address with a friend that will update him intensely whenever something comes up from immigration.
CIC is getting tough with people who FAKED there stay through crook lawyers and consultants. leaving after completing the time is not the issue, worst case he will get the citizenship at the end.

I hope we can give constructive advice to people, instead of scaring them. Sometimes people leave for various reasons, a lot of highly skilled immigrants even with canadian education and certifications are struggling to find jobs here. There are lots of decent genuine people who need to feed there families and for some reason or another could not gain reasonable employment that suite there skills in canada. lets leave that for a different discussion and stop spreading frustration and negativity...

AnonymousB

Oct 14, 2012
Someone tried to imply that if you leave after applying and your pr expired while waiting in the process you will not be able to obtain citizenship, this is plain bs, you can always re enter through ground boarders with the original im100 landing form and attend your citizenship matters....

Read bellow:

So what happens when your permanent resident card expires? Nothing. The expiration of the card does not mean expiration of your status. Rather, it just means that the card is no longer valid evidence of your permanent resident status. Just like an expired Canadian passport doesn't mean you lose your citizenship, an expired permanent resident card does not mean you aren't a permanent resident.

The only way you can lose your status for failing to meet the residency requirement goes something like this: an immigration officer has to review your residence history over the five years before the date of examination. This usually happens upon re-entering Canada after a long absence or upon application for a new permanent resident card after the expiration of a previous card. If the officer believes that you have fallen short of the 730-day requirement, that officer can look at humanitarian and compassionate reasons for allowing you to keep your status, usually involving the best interests of children involved.

ajslp

Star Member
Apr 4, 2012
First of all what ever I am stating below is not personally for you. I am just trying to make my point and debate. So @ AnonymousB, please don't take it personally.

You are free to leave after completing 1095 days requirement. Nobody can stop you. Legally you have a right to acquire the citizenship.

But having said that there are lots of other issues at play. If you are lucky and you don't get and RQ and your whole application process gets completed within 3 years time frame, you can obtain citizenship without any problem. I know and heard about a lot of people who have got that way in the past. That is "in the past". The current normal time of processing is 21 months. Since CIC is using a lot of its resources and time in combating fraudulent cases, that time is likely to increase. I believe CIC updates that once a year. CIC considers data from April 1 to March 31 every year.

If you get an RQ, that can increase your application duration by another 1.5 to 2 years. So it is very likely that the total length of application will go beyond 3 years.

One of the requirement for citizenship oath is that your permanent residency status should not be in any sort of doubt on the day of oath. Keep in mind, it is the permanent residency status. It has nothing to do with the PR card status.

So if you stay outside for more than 3 years in the last 5 years and enter Canada, the immigration officer will give you an option to voluntarily surrender permanent residency status or initiate a process to determine permanent residency status. You will still be allowed to enter to Canada and defend your case. But you will not be allowed to take an oath until your permanent residency status is finalized.

AnonymousB said:
There are a lot of negative, angry and jealous people here...
I doubt about people being jealous. It is very likely most people in the forum don't know you or any other people who leave after 3 years. So there is not point of being jealous. Bill gates has billions of dollars. Is there any point in being jealous of him? But angry? Yes. I think that is possible. How would you feel if some bum relative of your spouse comes and live in your house and eat food from your refrigerator? You pay for the house, you pay for the gas, electric bill and food. But your that good for nothing relative does not go looking for job and stays at your home watching TV and playing your XBox all day after getting fired from his job. IMO, that is what people are angry about. Their hard earned taxes going to opportunists.

I am sure if you leave and be a multimillionaire, it is unlikely you will come back to exploit Canadian welfare system funded by taxpayers. In that case, people won't care. There are many Canadians who become a huge star in Hollywood or successful in Wall Street. People have no problem with them. Actually people like that. It will boost Canada's profile. But most people in the forum and most Canadians in general are not happy about people who don't contribute with taxes but will potentially take advantage of Canadian's welfare system when they get in trouble.

I personally know one immigrant family where the parents are unhappy with CIC making it harder to bring parents and grandparents. But their son is happy that CIC is getting tough. He hates the idea that there is one taxpayer paying in to the system and withdrawing for four to support parents and grandparents.

And about negative, the forum members are stating what is the worst that can happen. But if you are willing to test your luck, you are free to do so. This is a free country.

Again @ AnonymousB, please don't take it personally. I don't mean it to you. I am just arguing my case as in a debate.

AnonymousB

Oct 14, 2012
Nothing personal at all! i am not easily offended:) Its good to know the scenarios and be informed about the system and how it works,
say someone got a job outside canada and there application time is taking more than 3 years to process, then they can easily maintain there PR status legally until the citizenship time comes... very simple, very easy..just because someone is angry, frustrated, feeling unfairly treated does NOT mean that they should go out and spread negativity, doom and gloom around instead of constructive advice....
i am just sick of negative people who want to make it beyond complicated for some hidden reasons.
we are all mad at others who abuse the welfare system, but that is a political issue that needs to be fixed....back to the first issue, if someone can not obtain a reasonable employment that meets there skills and leaves, that doesn't make them bad, system abusers...I am sure if these people got a decent job they will stay, we just hope that there children will come back and contribute to this country after getting there education here... There are lots of doctors, very highly skilled workers here who are working as security guards and taxi drivers and barley making a living, nothing wrong with these jobs, but i can totally understand why some of them have chosen to leave to the states or elsewhere after applying for citizenship.....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AnonymousB said:
say someone got a job outside canada and there application time is taking more than 3 years to process, then they can easily maintain there PR status legally until the citizenship time comes... very simple, very easy..
Wait.. how?

Unless you are married to a Canadian citizen who is with you outside Canada or you have been employed in Canada and transferred by the employer to a full time position outside Canada, the only other way you can maintain your PR status legally is by staying at least 730 days every 5 years. That means if you never left Canada for a day before you moved to the US, after 3 years, you must move back to Canada and stay for 2 years or until your citizenship comes through whichever happens first.

nigyar

Nov 1, 2012
I think when you leave Canada, especially right after applying for the citizenship, you need to justify why you are leaving during the process. I had to move to UK within 4 months of applying because my Canadian company sent me on the secondment to their office in the UK and my agreement shows that move is temporary (i.e. it is a fixed term and I am ultimately supposed to return back to Canada). The immigration judge did ask a question about the visa in passport during the test and in this case I had a reasonable explanation why I had to be outside Canada. It is not something that I can control - it is something that Canadian company requires me to do. If you are not moving within the same company and can’t justify it is temporary, it is harder to respond to this type of questions generally.

Romirt

Oct 31, 2012
nigyar said:
I think when you leave Canada, especially right after applying for the citizenship, you need to justify why you are leaving during the process. I had to move to UK within 4 months of applying because my Canadian company sent me on the secondment to their office in the UK and my agreement shows that move is temporary (i.e. it is a fixed term and I am ultimately supposed to return back to Canada). The immigration judge did ask a question about the visa in passport during the test and in this case I had a reasonable explanation why I had to be outside Canada. It is not something that I can control - it is something that Canadian company requires me to do. If you are not moving within the same company and can't justify it is temporary, it is harder to respond to this type of questions generally.
Hi Nigyar,
When did u apply, what are your timelines......can you please share more about your timeline...
thanks

Pekyas

Oct 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polarbear said:
Major reasons to get an RQ:

6.) Entire family applying for citizenship in one application will trigger long processing time and RQ.

House Wife's staying at home are more likely to get RQ'S.

I don't mean to scare anyone. Just my personal opinion.

:-X
In my case i dont agree with number 1,3 and 5.The rest unemployed,housewife,and homemaker thats a red flag.
Thats my opinion!

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pekyas said:

In my case i dont agree with number 1,3 and 5.The rest unemployed,housewife,and homemaker thats a red flag.
Thats my opinion!
I was thinking of applying for a B1/B2 because my previous one just expired. I had some 7-8 entries to US but 5 of them fall out of the 3/4 year period. now I start to worry about this as I never thought this can cause any problems. My stays in US were pretty short, 3 days minimum and 2 weeks maximum (for conferences and vacations). Can anybody kindly point out to me if there could be an RQ?... Thanks