+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada in May

monkey

Jan 17, 2008
Hi,

My fiance and I are going to get registered in March of this year. I am currently finishing my last year in University and am planning to move to Toronto after I graduate.

My fiance is a (Naturalized) Canadian Citizen, and I am a U.S. Citizen. Is it possible for me to get a job when I move to Canada? Do I need to apply for a work permit? How long will it take for me to acquire some type of status in Canada after I have moved there?

Any advice will help!

Thanks!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Canada doesn't recognize fiances.

If you get married, your wife can sponsor you for permanent residence (PR) either from inside our outside Canada. PR will take you about a year, and then you'd be able to work for any employer without limitation.

If you and your fiance have lived together for at least 12 consecutive months and have consolidated your affairs (bank accounts, leases, insurance, etc.), then she can apply to sponsor you for PR under the common-law category.

If you don't choose one of these options, you'll need a work permit (WP), which requires a job offer from a Canadian employer and a positive labour market opinion (LMO) that says employing you will not negatively impact the Canadian workforce. To apply for a WP, you'll have to return to the U.S.

It will probably take about a year for your spouse to sponsor you for PR. The WP takes less time, but it's very difficult to find an employer willing to go through the hassle.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

monkey said:
Hi,

My fiance and I are going to get registered in March of this year. I am currently finishing my last year in University and am planning to move to Toronto after I graduate.

My fiance is a (Naturalized) Canadian Citizen, and I am a U.S. Citizen. Is it possible for me to get a job when I move to Canada? Do I need to apply for a work permit? How long will it take for me to acquire some type of status in Canada after I have moved there?

Any advice will help!

1. Start your reading at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp
2. Assuming that you mean registered you are going to marry? If a same sex couple you may wish to marry in Canada where it is recognized.
3. Once you are married, your spouse can submit a sponsorship with your application and required documents to either Mississauga, where your application will be processed in the US at Buffalo, 44 days in Buffalo, 3 - 11 months in Buffalo, or you could apply for an "In Canada" spousal application where all the documents are sent to Vegreville. There at the present time the processing is taking 5-6 months to reach Approval in Principle (AIP)
4. You will not be able to work until your a Permanent resident 3-11 months outside, or receive AIP 5/6 months at the present time.
5. If you were able to find an employer, who was willing to apply for a Labour Market Opinion, which they have to advertise the position and convince Service Canada that there are no Canadians or PRs available for the job and the wages and conditions of work would attract Canadians, then you could apply for a Work Permit.
6. Also as a US citizen you could apply for a working holiday permit from the US through one of the Canadian Consulate, good for 6 months.

PMM

Thanks!

monkey

Jan 17, 2008
Hi,

Thank you so much for all your input. By registered, yes I do mean we will be getting married in Toronto. But I will have to return to California again to finish my studies. I know as a U.S. citizen I do not need visa to go to Canada, but I did not realize that the WP was such a hassle to employers.

PMM, you wrote that I can submit the sponsor application when we get married? I did not understand that too well. However, I will read that link that you gave me. My fiance and I have been together for 4 years now. We have joint accounts and share the expenses.

Than you again for the help!

Regards,
monkeys

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

monkey said:
Hi,

Thank you so much for all your input. By registered, yes I do mean we will be getting married in Toronto. But I will have to return to California again to finish my studies. I know as a U.S. citizen I do not need visa to go to Canada, but I did not realize that the WP was such a hassle to employers.

PMM, you wrote that I can submit the sponsor application when we get married? I did not understand that too well. However, I will read that link that you gave me. My fiance and I have been together for 4 years now. We have joint accounts and share the expenses.

Than you again for the help!

Regards,
monkeys
If you have been living together with joint assets for at least one year as c/law couple, she could sponsor you now.

PMM