+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Alberta from another province - Exchanging driver's licence and applying for a health card without a valid PR card?

MaHab

Jan 8, 2023
Hi everyone,

I’m in a situation in which I’m in Canada but don’t have a valid PR card and should only apply for renewal next year towards the end of May 2024 once I become fully compliant with the PR residency obligations. My first and only PR card expired in 2011. I entered Canada by land from the United States with my Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) (issued in 2006) one and a half years ago without getting reported for not meeting the PR residency obligations, thankfully.

I lived in Ontario since returning to Canada and managed to obtain an Ontario driver's licence (valid for 5 years) and an Ontario health card (OHIP Card) (also valid for 5 years), using only my CoPR as proof of legal status in Canada.

I recently moved to Alberta and applied for out of province driver's licence exchange and for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage at a registry office around a week ago. I also presented my CoPR as proof of legal status in Canada thinking that it's sufficient. On the Alberta government's website, there's a webpage stating the "ID requirements for licences and identification cards" in Alberta. Under "Canada residence documents", it mentions this as one of the accepted documents:

• "a confirmation document, permit or resident visa issued by the Government of Canada that gives you resident status in Canada for more than the next 90 days."

Regarding how the driver's licence application process went, the registry officer accepted the CoPR as proof of PR status and issued me a temporary Alberta driver's licence. Around a week later I received a phone call from the same registry officer informing me that, to my surprise, Alberta Motor Vehicle only approved a 1 year driver's licence for me and that I must present a different, valid proof of PR status (probably a valid PR card) after that 1 year in order to renew it when it expires. She also asked me to come back to the registry office because something needs to be changed on the application. When I met her again soon after, I was further surprised to find out that my new Alberta driver's licence will only be valid for 7 months because in Alberta, driver's licences are valid till one's birthday (mine is in 7 months).

Regarding how the AHCIP health card application process went, the same registry officer took a copy of my CoPR but told me that she's not certain whether or not it would be accepted by Alberta Heath as sufficient proof of legal status in Canada especially because some of the dates on the CoPR were handwritten and are now barely visible (she especially mentioned the date I became a permanent resident). When I told her that that date is clearly written on my expired PR card and presented it to her, she took a copy of it as well. She told me though that under Alberta Health policies, an expired PR card can't be accepted as proof of legal status in Canada, but that if I don't hear anything back in around a month, then I should consider that as "good news".

I'm really concerned about whether or not I'll get AHCIP coverage. I'm also worried about how I'll be covered for health care expenses during the period beginning from after my out of province OHIP coverage period ends and ending when I receive a new PR card (hopefully around August 2024 unless for some reason I apply for urgent processing and it's accepted without causing scrutiny and secondary review). I'm also very frustrated that they would only issue me a driver's licence valid for only 7 months when I used to have a normal 5 year licence in Ontario, and worried about the effect of a potential lapse in driving licensure on my auto insurance and driving record in general. After all, a PR in Canada without a valid PR card is still, legally, a PR. Therefore, I should have the same rights as any other Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident to obtain a normal driver's license and health card in the province that I'm permanently living in and now call home and will continue to call home for at least a year from now. From my understanding, there's no legal obligation for a PR to have a valid PR card, however, I also recognize how convenient having a valid PR card is, especially when dealing with provincial governments.

I'm wondering if anyone had any similar experience to share with regards to obtaining an Alberta driver's licence and health card after moving from another province, without a valid PR card or if anyone from this great forum has any advice or recommendations for me.

I was also wondering if anyone has any idea whether or not applying for a 'Verification of Status‘ (VoS) document would help me, and whether or not I should avoid any contact with IRCC (by applying for a VoS document) until the time comes when I finally meet the PR residency obligations to renew the PR card, so as not to risk my PR status altogether.

I'm eager for your valuable advice, my fellow members, and would highly appreciate your insightful input.

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I’m in a situation in which I’m in Canada but don’t have a valid PR card and should only apply for renewal next year towards the end of May 2024 once I become fully compliant with the PR residency obligations. My first and only PR card expired in 2011. I entered Canada by land from the United States with my Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) (issued in 2006) one and a half years ago without getting reported for not meeting the PR residency obligations, thankfully.

I lived in Ontario since returning to Canada and managed to obtain an Ontario driver's licence (valid for 5 years) and an Ontario health card (OHIP Card) (also valid for 5 years), using only my CoPR as proof of legal status in Canada.

I recently moved to Alberta and applied for out of province driver's licence exchange and for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage at a registry office around a week ago. I also presented my CoPR as proof of legal status in Canada thinking that it's sufficient. On the Alberta government's website, there's a webpage stating the "ID requirements for licences and identification cards" in Alberta. Under "Canada residence documents", it mentions this as one of the accepted documents:

• "a confirmation document, permit or resident visa issued by the Government of Canada that gives you resident status in Canada for more than the next 90 days."

Regarding how the driver's licence application process went, the registry officer accepted the CoPR as proof of PR status and issued me a temporary Alberta driver's licence. Around a week later I received a phone call from the same registry officer informing me that, to my surprise, Alberta Motor Vehicle only approved a 1 year driver's licence for me and that I must present a different, valid proof of PR status (probably a valid PR card) after that 1 year in order to renew it when it expires. She also asked me to come back to the registry office because something needs to be changed on the application. When I met her again soon after, I was further surprised to find out that my new Alberta driver's licence will only be valid for 7 months because in Alberta, driver's licences are valid till one's birthday (mine is in 7 months).

Regarding how the AHCIP health card application process went, the same registry officer took a copy of my CoPR but told me that she's not certain whether or not it would be accepted by Alberta Heath as sufficient proof of legal status in Canada especially because some of the dates on the CoPR were handwritten and are now barely visible (she especially mentioned the date I became a permanent resident). When I told her that that date is clearly written on my expired PR card and presented it to her, she took a copy of it as well. She told me though that under Alberta Health policies, an expired PR card can't be accepted as proof of legal status in Canada, but that if I don't hear anything back in around a month, then I should consider that as "good news".

I'm really concerned about whether or not I'll get AHCIP coverage. I'm also worried about how I'll be covered for health care expenses during the period beginning from after my out of province OHIP coverage period ends and ending when I receive a new PR card (hopefully around August 2024 unless for some reason I apply for urgent processing and it's accepted without causing scrutiny and secondary review). I'm also very frustrated that they would only issue me a driver's licence valid for only 7 months when I used to have a normal 5 year licence in Ontario, and worried about the effect of a potential lapse in driving licensure on my auto insurance and driving record in general. After all, a PR in Canada without a valid PR card is still, legally, a PR. Therefore, I should have the same rights as any other Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident to obtain a normal driver's license and health card in the province that I'm permanently living in and now call home and will continue to call home for at least a year from now. From my understanding, there's no legal obligation for a PR to have a valid PR card, however, I also recognize how convenient having a valid PR card is, especially when dealing with provincial governments.

I'm wondering if anyone had any similar experience to share with regards to obtaining an Alberta driver's licence and health card after moving from another province, without a valid PR card or if anyone from this great forum has any advice or recommendations for me.

I was also wondering if anyone has any idea whether or not applying for a 'Verification of Status‘ (VoS) document would help me, and whether or not I should avoid any contact with IRCC (by applying for a VoS document) until the time comes when I finally meet the PR residency obligations to renew the PR card, so as not to risk my PR status altogether.

I'm eager for your valuable advice, my fellow members, and would highly appreciate your insightful input.

Thank you
Not sure how you got an OHIP card. You got extremely lucky that you got one without a valid PR card you should have been denied and most are. There are consequences to not meeting your residency obligation. Yes technically you are eligible for healthcare as a PR but without proof that you still have PR status or that you have been living in Canada throughout your time since PR the government agencies can’t guarantee that your PR status is still valid. Most who haven’t met their RO and return without a valid PR card end up paying out of pocket and paying for emergency medical coverage until they can get a valid PR care so often 2.5+ years. In general if not compliant with RO it is best to avoid contact with IRCC. Also not sure if VOS will be accepted as a substitution for a valid PR card. Although it will provide proof of your PR status provincial employees aren’t knowledgeable about immigration documents and just go by the lists of accepted documents. You could take the province to court to get a health card or get a lawyer involved to threaten to take them to court. That will cost money and take time but is an option. We don’t see as many issues with people applying for a driver’s license. Not having a valid driver’s license will have significant consequences if you depend on driving yourself around. You will have to hope that you can get a new driver license after your birthday. Would suggest going to another location to see if you will get different results. There is always the option of getting a lawyer involved.

MaHab

Jan 8, 2023
Not sure how you got an OHIP card. You got extremely lucky that you got one without a valid PR card you should have been denied and most are. There are consequences to not meeting your residency obligation. Yes technically you are eligible for healthcare as a PR but without proof that you still have PR status or that you have been living in Canada throughout your time since PR the government agencies can’t guarantee that your PR status is still valid. Most who haven’t met their RO and return without a valid PR card end up paying out of pocket and paying for emergency medical coverage until they can get a valid PR care so often 2.5+ years. In general if not compliant with RO it is best to avoid contact with IRCC. Also not sure if VOS will be accepted as a substitution for a valid PR card. Although it will provide proof of your PR status provincial employees aren’t knowledgeable about immigration documents and just go by the lists of accepted documents. You could take the province to court to get a health card or get a lawyer involved to threaten to take them to court. That will cost money and take time but is an option. We don’t see as many issues with people applying for a driver’s license. Not having a valid driver’s license will have significant consequences if you depend on driving yourself around. You will have to hope that you can get a new driver license after your birthday. Would suggest going to another location to see if you will get different results. There is always the option of getting a lawyer involved.

Hi canuck78

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Do you think it has to be a lawyer or would a paralegal be as qualified to help me with this? If it'll be a lawyer, may I ask what specialty do you think would be most qualified in this case? Also, do you have any idea how long a legal process like this may take, roughly, and whether or not it could risk my PR status? I received a 5 year driver's licence in the mail a few days ago but it seems to be cancelled already as I tried to verify my Alberta.ca account with it but it didn't work. They also sent me a cheque for $80 in the mail which I think is the price difference between a 5 year and a 1 year licence. Could you please let me know whether or not you think the fact that they issued me a 5 year licence, sent it in the mail, and then cancelled it may be in my favour in some way if I were to appeal or take the legal route?

I tried calling Alberta Motor Vehicle to ask in a general sense about whether or not the CoPR is acceptable as proof of PR status and they told me that it's acceptable but that only a one year licence would be issued and that it would normally be renewed afterwards with a valid PR card. However, I think this rule is most likely relevant to new PRs who just landed and didn't yet receive their PR cards and so only have their brand new and recent CoPRs as proof of their status in Canada. My CoPR is one of those old IMM 5292 forms. I understand how bad it is not to meet the ROs, that I messed up big time not meeting them, and that I've been very lucky so far, but, nevertheless I've been living in Canada for 1.5 years now and can easily prove that with documents such as my OHIP claims history, my Ontario driving record, and more, if necessary. Could you kindly give me your honest opinion on whether or not my case is strong enough?

I haven't heard from Alberta Health till now which is a good thing, but could you also please provide me some more information about the "emergency medical coverage" that you mentioned some people are forced to pay for, just in case I'm denied AHCIP?

Also, do you have any idea about whether or not a lapse in a driver's licensure isn't favourable on a driving record and whether or not it would affect auto insurance? My concern is especially about having a gap in insurance history as a result of such a lapse as to my knowledge, one can't be insured without having a valid driver's licence, right?

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi canuck78

Do you think it has to be a lawyer or would a paralegal be as qualified to help me with this? If it'll be a lawyer, may I ask what specialty do you think would be most qualified in this case? Also, do you have any idea how long a legal process like this may take, roughly, and whether or not it could risk my PR status? I received a 5 year driver's licence in the mail a few days ago but it seems to be cancelled already as I tried to verify my Alberta.ca account with it but it didn't work. They also sent me a cheque for $80 in the mail which I think is the price difference between a 5 year and a 1 year licence. Could you please let me know whether or not you think the fact that they issued me a 5 year licence, sent it in the mail, and then cancelled it may be in my favour in some way if I were to appeal or take the legal route?

I tried calling Alberta Motor Vehicle to ask in a general sense about whether or not the CoPR is acceptable as proof of PR status and they told me that it's acceptable but that only a one year licence would be issued and that it would normally be renewed afterwards with a valid PR card. However, I think this rule is most likely relevant to new PRs who just landed and didn't yet receive their PR cards and so only have their brand new and recent CoPRs as proof of their status in Canada. My CoPR is one of those old IMM 5292 forms. I understand how bad it is not to meet the ROs, that I messed up big time not meeting them, and that I've been very lucky so far, but, nevertheless I've been living in Canada for 1.5 years now and can easily prove that with documents such as my OHIP claims history, my Ontario driving record, and more, if necessary. Could you kindly give me your honest opinion on whether or not my case is strong enough?

I haven't heard from Alberta Health till now which is a good thing, but could you also please provide me some more information about the "emergency medical coverage" that you mentioned some people are forced to pay for, just in case I'm denied AHCIP?

Also, do you have any idea about whether or not a lapse in a driver's licensure isn't favourable on a driving record and whether or not it would affect auto insurance? My concern is especially about having a gap in insurance history as a result of such a lapse as to my knowledge, one can't be insured without having a valid driver's licence, right?

Can't you go back to Ontario?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi everyone,

Thank you
If the CBSA wants to let in people who haven’t met RO, that’s there prerogative.
And people think they are home free , they aren’t . However that doesn’t mean the Provinces have to dole out everything such as Healthcare & DL. That falls under the Provinces Jurisdiction . The Provinces set up what ID is required , not the Federal Government. Im positive the Provinces will just bend their rules for the Federal Government, when the Federal Government can’t even enforce their own rules . Such as the RO

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
just for clarity, as many tend to ignore the entire statement they quote, the Alberta Government website clearly states :

Canada residence documents
One of the following original / not-expired documents may be presented as proof that you are a permanent or temporary resident of Canada:

The "not expired" is critical to the ID requirements. Your choices are limited without a valid PR card and the federal government clearly indicates a COPR isn't valid for ID beyond one year after expiry.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi canuck78

You got lucky and someone made a mistake which is how you got OHIP. Normally you’d would have been required to a show your valid PR card or proof that you had been living continuously in Canada. You shouldn’t use the ability to get an OHIP card as an argument that could highlight that your were incorrectly granted the OHIP card. Technically if OHIP discovers that you were granted an OHIP card without valid proof that is normally required to obtain an OHIP and the used the card that could start as huge mess in itself. The fact that you were first issued a 5 year driver license also shouldn’t provide proof that you are entitled to a 5 year license.

You can try to obtain emergency travel medical insurance. That won’t cover routine healthcare and in most cases emergencies related to preexisting conditions.

I don’t know if a paralegal will be sufficient to address this issue but you can start there. Most who return to Canada without meeting their RO know that they will likely not be able to get a provincial health card for 2.5 years. For those with health issues not being able to access provincial healthcare for free for 2.5+ years is one of the major considerations when deciding whether they can return to Canada or not. What was your plan when you returned to Canada knowing you didn’t have the required documentation to secure an OHIP card? I have never heard of anyone sending legal letters threatening to sue to get access to provincial healthcare as a PR. Most just wait and pay for routine care out of pocket. If a letter is not effective and you have to go to court it could be expensive and could take a long period of time. You would probably get a PR card before then. The other risk of pursuing this at a higher level is that you put yourself at risk of someone contacting IRCC about your RO or OHIP about the fact that you were able to get an OHIP card without required documentation.

Using COPR as proof of your Pr status is usually only possible during the first year after landing.

MaHab

Jan 8, 2023
You got lucky and someone made a mistake which is how you got OHIP. Normally you’d would have been required to a show your valid PR card or proof that you had been living continuously in Canada. You shouldn’t use the ability to get an OHIP card as an argument that could highlight that your were incorrectly granted the OHIP card. Technically if OHIP discovers that you were granted an OHIP card without valid proof that is normally required to obtain an OHIP and the used the card that could start as huge mess in itself. The fact that you were first issued a 5 year driver license also shouldn’t provide proof that you are entitled to a 5 year license.

You can try to obtain emergency travel medical insurance. That won’t cover routine healthcare and in most cases emergencies related to preexisting conditions.

I don’t know if a paralegal will be sufficient to address this issue but you can start there. Most who return to Canada without meeting their RO know that they will likely not be able to get a provincial health card for 2.5 years. For those with health issues not being able to access provincial healthcare for free for 2.5+ years is one of the major considerations when deciding whether they can return to Canada or not. What was your plan when you returned to Canada knowing you didn’t have the required documentation to secure an OHIP card? I have never heard of anyone sending legal letters threatening to sue to get access to provincial healthcare as a PR. Most just wait and pay for routine care out of pocket. If a letter is not effective and you have to go to court it could be expensive and could take a long period of time. You would probably get a PR card before then. The other risk of pursuing this at a higher level is that you put yourself at risk of someone contacting IRCC about your RO or OHIP about the fact that you were able to get an OHIP card without required documentation.

Using COPR as proof of your Pr status is usually only possible during the first year after landing.

Ok, thanks for your advice!
You can always check Ontario.ca for the list of acceptable documents. There wasn't any mistake made according to what they listed there.
Thanks anyway.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok, thanks for your advice!
You can always check Ontario.ca for the list of acceptable documents. There wasn't any mistake made according to what they listed there.
Thanks anyway.
COPR must be less than a year old to be used. Without a valid PR a valid PR card or proof that you have continuously lived in Ontario is required. Ontario.ca does not list the documents required for people who have not met their residency requirements and don’t have a valid PR card. Based on many people’s experience it is clear that the requirement to get a OHIP card after an absence is a valid PR card. Others can confirm.

Last edited: