Passport Req..
19 Oct 2016
VISA ISSUED...
4 NOV 2016
LANDED..........
6 NOV 2016
DEEPCUR said:
Simpsonjos,

As per my understanding, your h1b can be reinstated within 6 years from your visa expiry date. I'm not sure if petition expiry date counts as visa expiry date. In all probability, you can keep it as 6 years from your last day in US. I know for sure it's six years, but not sure of from which date (visa or petition or departure date).

And let me throw some light on gc wait times. There are nearly 2.5 lac people from India ahead of someone who is filling their gc today in eb2. eb2 India gets only 2800 gc s per year and that number should accomodate dependent of those two lac applicants . Do the math and figure out when your gc might come . From 2009, the volume of applications are enormously high, and it is crazy after 2011. So it's no more five year, eight year, ten year deal as it used to be. Unless some reform comes, Indians can never get gc in their lifetime. Worst part here is that neither trump nor Hillary or any politicians for that matter have any plans to fix this mess as it's just affecting only one country. You might want to read this

http://immigrationgirl.com/what-is-the-real-wait-time-for-eb-2-india-82-5-years/
I went through your situation in previous posts. With ageing out kids, you should move to Canada or India no sooner. Else they would be in a limbo w.r.t education, culture etc. You may never be able to get gc in next 20-30 years with present system. They cannot work part time, cannot get student loans, get in state fees, get scholarships, get opt on h4 visa. They need to switch to f1 to get opt, but they still cannot get other things. Above all they need to go through h1 lottery process and stand in same gc queue where you are standing . All these would be fine if they come from India, but they would feel bad if they do their schooling in US and join college.. seeing their friends getting everything. By you not moving, you are denying them a potential opportunity to settle peacefully in a peaceful developed country. Please make a move soon to Canada without thinking much about coming back to US. Canada is a developed country too, and except for salary /job front, I'd presume it just as another US state.
Totally agree and perfectly makes sense!

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Irrespective the technical issues associated with living in one or the other, I think the real questions is what do you want out of life. Canada is safe, socially accepting and tolerant and a great place to live if you value lifestyle over riches (for most of us). My impression is that the USA is less so, but depending on your industry there may be more opportunities for riches, but also more people that want it.

Tough choice to make.

Personally I favor life over money any day. Just saying...

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After this election, its a no brainer. Do you want your kids racially bullied at school? (or worse?)

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
ht7 said:
After this election, its a no brainer. Do you want your kids racially bullied at school? (or worse?)
Correct. Unless you live in super progressive bubbles in the US, you will likely encounter severe racism. Though it remains to be seen, how long it will take before Canada too becomes anti-immigrant and racist. There are such pressures all over the world.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
deadbird said:
Correct. Unless you live in super progressive bubbles in the US, you will likely encounter severe racism. Though it remains to be seen, how long it will take before Canada too becomes anti-immigrant and racist. There are such pressures all over the world.
May take some more time before such things come up. In Canada, politicians at least are able to speak something positive on immigration, and openly announce that they are letting in this number of immigrants openly for every year. Immigration is still seen with open mind with Canadians with the justification of ageing population.

But in US, no one dares to talk anything positive even on legal immigration. People in US are like, if it is illegal immigration, 'Oh they burden our social security system, commit crimes, we don't need them, we need law abiding people'. When the topic of legal immigration comes, the crowd sentiment is like 'they steal our jobs'. So they have developed lots of hatred towards immigration in any form in general.

The policies have been intentionally kept outdated by the politicians, and they have zero concern even for things like family based legal immigration. They haven't revised the immigration numbers since 1999, and there are no plans in near future to touch that number in any form, if not reduction. It would be surprising for many to know that such a big economy like US just allows 144,000 employment based green cards every year. (similar to FSW of Canada)

Reactions: thisworks

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
DEEPCUR said:
May take some more time before such things come up. In Canada, politicians at least are able to speak something positive on immigration, and openly announce that they are letting in this number of immigrants openly for every year. Immigration is still seen with open mind with Canadians with the justification of ageing population.

But in US, no one dares to talk anything positive even on legal immigration. People in US are like, if it is illegal immigration, 'Oh they burden our social security system, commit crimes, we don't need them, we need law abiding people'. When the topic of legal immigration comes, the crowd sentiment is like 'they steal our jobs'. So they have developed lots of hatred towards immigration in any form in general.

The policies have been intentionally kept outdated by the politicians, and they have zero concern even for things like family based legal immigration. They haven't revised the immigration numbers since 1999, and there are no plans in near future to touch that number in any form, if not reduction. It would be surprising for many to know that such a big economy like US just allows 144,000 employment based green cards every year. (similar to FSW of Canada)
I agree that Canadian society is generally much more progressive and accepting of immigrants. However, there was a conservative government before Trudeau. What's to say that in the next election Canada won't get its own version of Trump?

It's not too hard to imagine given that the world over there are such anti-immigration and insular pressures. e.g. Nigele Farage in Brexit, Geert Wilders in Netherlands, Marine Le Pen in France, Victor Orban is Hungary, Poland, Sweden, Phillipines, etc. Hate seems to be on the rise all over the world.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
deadbird said:
I agree that Canadian society is generally much more progressive and accepting of immigrants. However, there was a conservative government before Trudeau. What's to say that in the next election Canada won't get its own version of Trump?
Yes, there was a Conservative government before the present one, but just because they were Conservative, it didn't make them anti-immigrant. In fact, immigration levels rose to record highs under that government. They also introduced a number of immigrant-friendly initiatives that have helped tremendously.

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
Not to mention that they launched Express Entry, which has made the immigration process really fast and efficient.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
torontosm said:
Yes, there was a Conservative government before the present one, but just because they were Conservative, it didn't make them anti-immigrant. In fact, immigration levels rose to record highs under that government. They also introduced a number of immigrant-friendly initiatives that have helped tremendously.
smtele said:
Not to mention that they launched Express Entry, which has made the immigration process really fast and efficient.
Ok, that sounds a lot more reassuring.

But just to play devil's advocate; what is so unique about Canada that prevents it from espousing Trump like rhetoric? Canada is a democracy too and it bends to the will of the people. If the people get frustrated with stagnant economic growth and immigrants taking jobs; might not a Maple Trump who promises to throw immigrants out and make Canada great again gain a lot of traction?

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deadbird said:
But just to play devil's advocate; what is so unique about Canada that prevents it from espousing Trump like rhetoric?
For one, its a parliamentary system. People don't directly elect the Prime Minister. One Trump can get elected by chance, but for a Trump like PM, there need to be a lot of rogue MPs.

Of course, that didn't stop the UK crackdown on immigration, but that was a slow process, so there should be adequate warning signs.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
deadbird said:
Ok, that sounds a lot more reassuring.

But just to play devil's advocate; what is so unique about Canada that prevents it from espousing Trump like rhetoric? Canada is a democracy too and it bends to the will of the people. If the people get frustrated with stagnant economic growth and immigrants taking jobs; might not a Maple Trump who promises to throw immigrants out and make Canada great again gain a lot of traction?
That can work only if there is resentment for immigration among the Canadian Caucasians I believe.. someone capitalizing on that. I am not sure what is the sentiment among them like right now for immigration. It will also depend upon how genuinely Canada needs immigration for their development. People in US strongly feel that they don't need any more immigration in any form and can manage on their own.

amodmallya

Star Member
May 3, 2016
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
24-04-2016
AOR Received.
26-04-2016
Passport Req..
18-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2016
LANDED..........
26-11-2016
The conservatives in Canada are far more progressive than the liberals in the US

softie

Sep 26, 2016
Hi friends,

I am in a similar situation, working in Seattle are on H1-B and also a Canadian PR.
I am exploring the option of living near border in British Columbia, and commute to Seattle area 2-3 times - something like Go to US on monday, return wednesday, and then go thursday and return friday - which would mean I am in Canada 6/7 days per week.

I have a couple of questions regarding this arrangement:
1. Does it matter for citizenship whether I provide a US or Canada address to the employer?
2. Is it fine if I maintain residences in both US and Canada for this purpose, or should I only have a temporary rental/hotels for 2-3 days per week stay in US.

Thanks,
softie

H1B_140approved_CanadaPR said:
No. I'm in West Coast. Living in Abbotsford, BC and Working in Everett, Washington... Around 90 minutes of drive. I work a Lead System Engineer ( Windows Servers & Networking).

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
softie said:
Hi friends,

I am in a similar situation, working in Seattle are on H1-B and also a Canadian PR.
I am exploring the option of living near border in British Columbia, and commute to Seattle area 2-3 times - something like Go to US on monday, return wednesday, and then go thursday and return friday - which would mean I am in Canada 6/7 days per week.

I have a couple of questions regarding this arrangement:
1. Does it matter for citizenship whether I provide a US or Canada address to the employer?
2. Is it fine if I maintain residences in both US and Canada for this purpose, or should I only have a temporary rental/hotels for 2-3 days per week stay in US.

Thanks,
softie
Some caveats:
* You need to stay a full day in Canada to be counted as a day for citizenship purposes. However, you can stay a partial day for maintaining PR. Also understand that if you have to prove residence for PR/citizenship you need to keep meticulous documentation for all your trips.
* You definitely need to hold a Canadian residence, drivers license and plates.

Not sure about whether you need to maintain a US address.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
It is a pain to officially maintain residency in two states even within US, leave alone two countries. I am not sure if you can even do that. It will become a problem for many things like tax filing etc.

You are better off by keeping everything (plates, bank accounts, lease etc) to Canada and just visit US on temp work purposes (at least for records).