+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from the US to Canada, need advice.

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Funny you should mention....
James has asked me to marry him and I said YES!!!

I am just curious as to how this process works..... Once we are married in Canada, how do we go about getting a Perminant Resident Card? Will I have to come back to the US while this process takes place... Truthfully once I sell everything and give up my apartment to make the big move to Calgary, I'll have no where to come back too.... James and I just want to be together... We are trying to do things by the book, Since the finding of a sponsor for a work visa has not worked out, this is really our only option. Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!

ps.... Some advice for those of you in a similar situation.... have a return ticket in hand as you cross the border. That should save you all sorts of head aches.

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Alrighty,
I would like to have something verified, if possible. I had another employer who was and still is interested in hiring me. He spoke with a few people at Service Canada to see what's involved with the process and he was told that this could take 7-12 months (no surprise there) and @ 200 hours of his time. I can see why many employers give up and don't bother going this route.

While speaking to these people form Sevice Canada, he asked if there was a faster way to get this done... and All 3 said it would be a lot faster if I were to make the move up to Calgary and get married, at which point I could get a temporary work permit and will be able to work within a short period of time.

This is where I need to clarify things... I have no problem making the move to Calgary and marrying my fiance'.... I just want to be sure that I will be able to obtain a temp. work permit once that happens. How long is temporary, will it last long enough untill I can get my PR card?
Will I need a SIN in order to open a bank account?

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appriciated!! Thank You!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

HBeach78 said:
Alrighty,
I would like to have something verified, if possible. I had another employer who was and still is interested in hiring me. He spoke with a few people at Service Canada to see what's involved with the process and he was told that this could take 7-12 months (no surprise there) and @ 200 hours of his time. I can see why many employers give up and don't bother going this route.

While speaking to these people form Sevice Canada, he asked if there was a faster way to get this done... and All 3 said it would be a lot faster if I were to make the move up to Calgary and get married, at which point I could get a temporary work permit and will be able to work within a short period of time.

This is where I need to clarify things... I have no problem making the move to Calgary and marrying my fiance'.... I just want to be sure that I will be able to obtain a temp. work permit once that happens. How long is temporary, will it last long enough untill I can get my PR card?
Will I need a SIN in order to open a bank account?

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appriciated!! Thank You!!
Nice try no cigar, if you married your fiance, you would not be eligible for a work permit until you receive your Permanent Residence if the application is processed outside Canada. 30 days in Mississauga, and then 3-9 months in Buffalo. If it was an in-Canada application after marriage, 5/6 months at Vegreville for AIP (Approval in Principle) and then about 2/3 months before landing. You could apply for an open work permit when you receive the AIP.

PMM

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Thanks PMM,

*sigh* I thought it sounded too good to be true. There is no way I can move up there and stay while the PR card process takes place. My passport only allows 6 months and I'm afraid of what may happen if I over stay. I just don't see how the governments expect people to go 6 months or more without working, most people have credit card bills and car payments due on a monthly basis. I don't expect to get an anwser to this... just venting...

I don't know... seems our only real option is for me to take a few days off of work, Fly up there, get married, and start the PR process outside of Canada.

Thanks for all the advice :)