+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minimum Necessary Income? Is it really Necessary?? Please Help..

L

Laura357

Please can someone help me.. I am from the UK and have had a girlfriend from Canada for the past 2 years.. We have lived together on and off due to my work.. She is looking to sponsor me under the family class visa however on the Financial Evaluation section it claims she needs to have a minimum necessary income of $25,000.. She does not have this and it advises us not to send the application form.. However i have close to the $25,000 in savings.. Is it really necessary for her income to be this much if we could support ourselves anyway?

Any in put/comments will be much appreciated!

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
If you are being sponsored under Family Class, you do not need to meet the Minimum Necessary Income. Your girlfriend just needs to prove that she isn't on social assistance and other things like that. Her income should show that she has enough to cover YOUR basic needs (which you can read about in the Guide, or on the Sponsorship Agreement form.

If you are applying as common-law partners (you said you've lived on and off) you need to have lived together for one full year consistently, and need to prove it FYI- things like rental leases, utility bills, letters from friends/family etc.