+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Low skilled LMO application and work permit extension

Betti

Jun 19, 2012
Hi,
I have a series of questions and hope someone can help.

I am living in Canada almost 3 years and was ineligible for a 2nd year on my IEC visa, therefore decided to go down the LMO route to stay another year. I work in administration and according to the NOC Level D (pilot year for low skilled workers) my employers were eligible to apply.They submitted the application May 24th and I submitted my work permit extension application online May 29th, ticking the box that said I had applied for an LMO but was waiting on a file number. My visa is due to expire July 11th and from what I understand, because I have applied for a work permit extension, I have implied status until a decision has been made. However, I would like to know what my options are if I get a negative LMO and my employers decide not to appeal it. If this happens after my visa has expires, should I continue to wait until CIC get back to me about my extension or to be safe, should I apply to restore my status as a worker, at least buying some time? I know if I leave Canada I will lose my work permit, so if I will remain in the country until a final decision has been made. Anyone else been through a similar situation? I do not want to stay here illegally so really want to ensure I have all my options weighed up. I always fail to get through to the CIC call centre and cannot afford a lawyer, so any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

My questions is this:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Betti said:
Hi,
I have a series of questions and hope someone can help.

I am living in Canada almost 3 years and was ineligible for a 2nd year on my IEC visa, therefore decided to go down the LMO route to stay another year. I work in administration and according to the NOC Level D (pilot year for low skilled workers) my employers were eligible to apply.They submitted the application May 24th and I submitted my work permit extension application online May 29th, ticking the box that said I had applied for an LMO but was waiting on a file number. My visa is due to expire July 11th and from what I understand, because I have applied for a work permit extension, I have implied status until a decision has been made. However, I would like to know what my options are if I get a negative LMO and my employers decide not to appeal it. If this happens after my visa has expires, should I continue to wait until CIC get back to me about my extension or to be safe, should I apply to restore my status as a worker, at least buying some time? I know if I leave Canada I will lose my work permit, so if I will remain in the country until a final decision has been made. Anyone else been through a similar situation? I do not want to stay here illegally so really want to ensure I have all my options weighed up. I always fail to get through to the CIC call centre and cannot afford a lawyer, so any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

My questions is this:
1. You do know that CIC no longer accepts work permit applications without the LMO? So you can expect a refusal.
2. If you don't get an approved LMO before your work permit expires, you have 90 days to apply for restoration if you receive the LMO. You have to stop working.

Betti

Jun 19, 2012
Thank you for your reply.

So are you saying that implied status only exists if I have a positive LMO and the CIC are processing my application? That without a response from the LMO before my visa expires, I must stop working? Do you know if I can remain in the country whilst restoration of status application is being processed (not working) or whether I have to cross the border and gain a tourist visa there?

Please help!

Thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Betti said:
Thank you for your reply.

So are you saying that implied status only exists if I have a positive LMO and the CIC are processing my application? That without a response from the LMO before my visa expires, I must stop working? Do you know if I can remain in the country whilst restoration of status application is being processed (not working) or whether I have to cross the border and gain a tourist visa there?

Please help!

Thank you
1. Yes.
2. Yes, you must stop working.
3. Yes, you can remain.