+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost PR Obligations back in 2010. How do I get back to Canada?

Taqu

Feb 22, 2015
Hello. I lived in Canada for 8 years but then I went back to my country. I applied for a citizenship but could never get it through since I left and then after a while I lost my PR status back in 2010. My card is expired too.

I'm a little confused with the info available on he CIC site. Some say I still have a PR only that is not active. Other say I lost it completely and that I have to reapply form start. Other Info says I gotta forfit my PR to an officer.

My question is: If I have to reapply from scratch, do I need to do the express entry method?
is there a way I can get my PR active again?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Who says you lost your PR status in 2010? Did you get an official letter stating that you lost it? What triggered that event?

If you never officially lost your PR, you still have it but you don't meet the RO so it may be difficult to get it reactivated.

If you had mitigating reasons why you had to go back to your home country and stay there so long, you could apply for a PR travel document on humanitarian grounds. Such reasons may include severe medical problems of a close relative and you taking care of them and proof of that. Possibly severe medical problems of your own as well, preventing you from returning.

If you do not have mitigating reasons, a travel document would be denied if you applied for one and you would then officially lose your PR.

If you are visa exempt to Canada or you can get a US visa and enter by land from the US, you can try it. When you enter as a PR who doesn't meet the RO (residency obligation), the immigration officer should report you for it and you could then accept your loss of PR or try to appeal. However, they don't always report you. If you enter Canada and don't get reported, according to immigration regulations, you just have to stay for 2 years and your PR will be back in good standing. You can of course not try to renew your PR card during this time and you shouldn't leave because you take a risk again coming back. Your SIN may have been de-activated because you were gone so long but getting it re-activated is not a problem. You may have a problem getting health care and getting a drivers license with an expired PR card but you are still a PR if you haven't officially lost your status so you are allowed to work.

If you end up officially losing your PR, you can apply for PR again and you would have to go through the current system which is express entry.