+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for PR in Canada thru studies | Need help in course selection

vivek.rana

Mar 19, 2012
salmanali203 said:
Hi Vivek nd Bhargav,

I am also targeting sept 2012 or jan 2013 intake but have same confusions as yours. I am having 4 yrs Of IT experience and right now associated with Ericsson Noida. I am also targeting PR through studies.

I have a friend in canada who has done a project management diploma from humber in 2009-2010 and now he has a job and PR. He said IT job Market is pretty decent there you just have to be there to get a job.

BUT..my biggest confusion is the program selection. I am thinking about Oracle Database Developer from humber or Seneca for 1 yr as it suits my profile.

Please remain in touch we can discuss and probably go together there.

Regards
Mohammad Salman Ali
Hey Salman,

Good to see someone who is nearby :). I am at Accenture, Gurgaon.

Regarding the courses, I too feel that we should select something which is related to our past studies and work experience.
Otherwise there are chances of visa rejection.

What about you? You want to stick to IT or explore other options also?

I have figured out some IT related Graduate Certificates and a Master degree as well:

1. IT Project Management @ Seneca College (Sep and Jan intake) -> The good thing about this course is that it has 4 month optional co-op. This would help a lot in gaining Canadian work experience and make some connections in the industry.

2. Information System Business Analyst @ George Brown College (Jan intake only) -> This program has classes only on one evening per week, Friday and Saturday. Many courses are delivered online for this program.
Students work on industry projects on rest of the days (That's what the college representative told me in an education fair I attended).

3. Information Technology Solutions @ Humber College (Sep intake only) -> This is a 2 year course (No internship or co-op), and has two tracks second Semester onwards, Database Development Profile (Which would suit your profile) and Enterprise Development Profile. After this course we will be eligible for a 3 year PGWP and we would not have to worry about PGWP expiring in one year.
But the only doubt I have is, could there be visa rejection? As I already have extensive experience in IT.

4. Master of Software Systems @ University of British Columbia (Jan intake only) -> I think it’s the best program if you want to work in IT. It’s a 16 Month program including 4 months internship.
UBC is a very reputed university and ranked among top universities in the world. Program Fee is also not very high (it’s CAD 20, 000, I suppose). But, its application deadline for Jan 2013 is approaching, so can't apply for this intake.

There might be many more courses available, but these are the ones that I felt are good.
I know the course selection would depend a lot on someone's area of interest, but we have to consider the success rate as well.
I mean I want to go for some business/management courses, but there are chances of visa rejection. So I will go for IT only and see when I land in Canada.

Let me know if you want to be in touch over the phone or email. We can share our contact details.
As you said, "we can discuss and probably go together there". :)

I would like to have suggestions from everyone this forum, especially experienced people and those who are already studying or working in Canada.

Thanks.

world.citizen

Star Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
10-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
Soon!
vivek.rana said:
Hi world.citizen,

Thanks for the suggestion.
I also thought the same thing of going for a one year graduate certificate program related to my field (may be project management, or business analysis).

But the condition of one year PGWP really scares me.
I mean if I am not able to get job in NOC O, A, or B, and the PGWP expires, what option do I have?
And say, I get a job when my PGWP is about to expire, how to get the work permit extended?

I have read on this forum (and elsewhere also) that it's quite difficult to get a positive LMO. Is it so?
Because without a work permit, I would have no option but leave Canada.
1. How is project management/business analysis related to your bachelor's degree or to your current job as a software engineer?
2. You have 5.5 years of experience with Accenture and yet you think you won't be able to find a suitable job for ONE YEAR after graduation? Where's your confidence, pal? Be realistic.
3. I already covered the PGWP expiry part in my first post. Once you receive a nomination, you can get additional work permit based on your nomination. LMO is not required for this.
4. If you really have the patience/funds to complete a Master's degree, by all means, do so. You don't even need a job offer for PR if you have a Master's. I was merely suggesting a shorter, more practical route.

Mandip Parmar

May 22, 2012
salmanali203 said:
Hi Vivek nd Bhargav,

I am also targeting sept 2012 or jan 2013 intake but have same confusions as yours. I am having 4 yrs Of IT experience and right now associated with Ericsson Noida. I am also targeting PR through studies.

I have a friend in canada who has done a project management diploma from humber in 2009-2010 and now he has a job and PR. He said IT job Market is pretty decent there you just have to be there to get a job.

BUT..my biggest confusion is the program selection. I am thinking about Oracle Database Developer from humber or Seneca for 1 yr as it suits my profile.

Please remain in touch we can discuss and probably go together there.

Regards
Mohammad Salman Ali
Hi Salman,

I am also going to Oracle Database Developer at humber. I have got my visa.
i am having 3.8 years of work experience as Software Engineer with Infosys. You can contact me at mandip.parmar@gmail.com

Regards,
MS

Mandip Parmar

May 22, 2012
vivek.rana said:
Hey Salman,

Good to see someone who is nearby :). I am at Accenture, Gurgaon.

Regarding the courses, I too feel that we should select something which is related to our past studies and work experience.
Otherwise there are chances of visa rejection.

What about you? You want to stick to IT or explore other options also?

I have figured out some IT related Graduate Certificates and a Master degree as well:

1. IT Project Management @ Seneca College (Sep and Jan intake) -> The good thing about this course is that it has 4 month optional co-op. This would help a lot in gaining Canadian work experience and make some connections in the industry.

2. Information System Business Analyst @ George Brown College (Jan intake only) -> This program has classes only on one evening per week, Friday and Saturday. Many courses are delivered online for this program.
Students work on industry projects on rest of the days (That's what the college representative told me in an education fair I attended).

3. Information Technology Solutions @ Humber College (Sep intake only) -> This is a 2 year course (No internship or co-op), and has two tracks second Semester onwards, Database Development Profile (Which would suit your profile) and Enterprise Development Profile. After this course we will be eligible for a 3 year PGWP and we would not have to worry about PGWP expiring in one year.
But the only doubt I have is, could there be visa rejection? As I already have extensive experience in IT.

4. Master of Software Systems @ University of British Columbia (Jan intake only) -> I think it's the best program if you want to work in IT. It's a 16 Month program including 4 months internship.
UBC is a very reputed university and ranked among top universities in the world. Program Fee is also not very high (it's CAD 20, 000, I suppose). But, its application deadline for Jan 2013 is approaching, so can't apply for this intake.

There might be many more courses available, but these are the ones that I felt are good.
I know the course selection would depend a lot on someone's area of interest, but we have to consider the success rate as well.
I mean I want to go for some business/management courses, but there are chances of visa rejection. So I will go for IT only and see when I land in Canada.

Let me know if you want to be in touch over the phone or email. We can share our contact details.
As you said, "we can discuss and probably go together there". :)

I would like to have suggestions from everyone this forum, especially experienced people and those who are already studying or working in Canada.

Thanks.
Hi Vivek,

If you opted for Humber College, then you can contact me at mandip.parmar@gmail.com
I am going for Database Development (2 yrs) and i have got my visa.
3.8 years of experience with Infosys.

Regards,
MS

bhargav00200

May 22, 2012
vivek.rana said:
Hi Bhargav,

I am still confused about course selection. After reading many posts in this forum, I assume that going for a college for some PG certificate course is just waste of time and money. We cannot expect to get decent jobs in NOC 0, A, or B category (someone correct me if I am wrong ;D) and without such jobs it is very difficult to get PR.

I have another confusion, that I want to change my work profile from technology to business management, so I thought to go for MBA, but tuition fee for MBA at reputed universities is very high, which I cannot afford.

So, what options do I have?

I just thought of going for any PG Certificate/ Diploma in business management in colleges like Humber/ Centennial (preferably a 2 year course which can get me a 3 year work permit and then PR, if possible) and leave the rest on my luck, but many posts on this forum scare me of going for this option.

I read your post and thought that we somewhat have a similar problem. So I would like to discuss it with you.
Could you please share your education and work experience background?
What are your aspirations for career and PR in Canada?

We may be able to help each other. :)

Hi Vivek,

Yea, its good to select IT related program. I am iphone/android apps developer and experience of 2 years. I am from ahmedabad, gujarat. From, linkedin.com I come to know about the list of countries in terms of number of software developers are, 1) usa, 2) india, 3) uk, 4) canada. So, I found that there are many software developers and IT companies and I already started making connection and joining groups of canadian software developers. I think it can be really a good tool in finding the information related to software jobs.

One more good program I like to suggest is MEng of electrical and computer engineering branch. Its a one year course and its with 4-8 months of co-op program. The course is of University of Windsor and only 8 kms away from downtown of detroit city. Note that its reputed university not college and program is master, not pgd.

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
@ Vivek

Could u please explain me that if IT Occupations comes under the revised list ( July ) and then you apply for PR under FSW1 category then how will u get minimum 67 points required , without any Arranged Employment '???? because what i know is that if u don't have Arranged Employment then you wont b able to fetch 10 points for it and then it would be difficult to accumulate 67 points.

Kindly refer to this link :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG7TOC.asp

I mean what are the advantage if IT occupations comes under the revise Ministerial Identified list ????

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
Guys, Do Count me in this fruitful discussion :

My Profile :

IT Sector ( TCS ) as Assistant Systems Engineer in SAP Testing Domain - 2 years
B.Tech in Electronics with 74 %
12th - 83
10th- 86

Looking for next year 2013 intake for study and PR also. Plus I am having a tight Budget :D

1> I have come to know that 2 year of PG would be safe bet as compared to 1 year of PG but again they are costly and is it really worth to spend that much amount of money over PG Courses just to get 3 years of Work Ex ??? or still there are chances of PR with Just 1 year of PG Diploma under FSW via category 1 ( If IT comes under the revised list ) or Category 2 via Arranged Employment ???????

2> Plus, I know I should go for IT related courses as there would be no Mismatch so can you guys send me the list of few IT related courses with the College name for 2 year of PG Diploma ,so that I can dig in further by visiting their Websites

3> Considering my profile,Should I go for MBA from TRU and VIU as I have heard that they are of low Grades plus costly as well. I am NOT looking for Top Notch Univ for MBA as they are way expensive and requires GMAT too.

Awaiting the Brainstorming session so that everyone gets help in one way or other !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mayank_6 said:
@ Vivek

Could u please explain me that if IT Occupations comes under the revised list ( July ) and then you apply for PR under FSW1 category then how will u get minimum 67 points required , without any Arranged Employment '???? because what i know is that if u don't have Arranged Employment then you wont b able to fetch 10 points for it and then it would be difficult to accumulate 67 points.

Kindly refer to this link :

I mean what are the advantage if IT occupations comes under the revise Ministerial Identified list ????
Many people can accumulate 67 points without an arranged employment offer. If you want to know how people accumulated 67 points without an arranged employment offer, read through the threads in the Skilled Worker section of this forum. Most of the people posting there are applying for FSW without AEO and have sufficient points.

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
@ Scylla

Dude, be practical ! I know its not impossible to get PR under FSW under Category 1 ( 29 Shortlisted occupations ) without Arranged Emp but refer to this site once

I am enlisting the Average points if I may get for each criteria:

Education 25
Language 8-10
Work Exp 1 year 15
Arranged Emp 0
Adaptability 10 ( at max )

Total : 63-65 :(

Now tell me without Arranged Emp , it would be tough to get 67 points

Jyoti Nai

Jun 8, 2012
Hi....Vivek...
I am new to this forum and I am also facing same problem as you.
I have completed my BE-EC from Gujarat University with 77.6% and scored 7 in IELTS....I applied In Humber for Wireless Telecommunications(8 months).I have rcd an offer letter and due date for 1st sem fees is 27th June.Now I wanna know if after the completion of this course, can I apply in university for masters program......In that case how many years of work permit will I get???
I did not apply in university because I had heard that it is difficult to get visas in Uni. whereas for spp colleges Visa Ratio are high.....
Kindly revert me as soon as possible...

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Hi Mayank,

Why awarding yourself 8-10 in IELTS ?. Your writing style indicates that you can have all high's i.e. 16 points. Getting 16 points in language should not be a problem for a person of your calibre. Score 16 in IELTS and you will be through

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
@ Thanks Harry for praising.

Can any tell me that after 2 year of PG Diploma, Should i apply for CEC or FSW . Which ones is more favorable for International students and take less time in getting processed ??

Also Reply to my below Posted Query , I am Re-posting the few major points :

2> I know I should go for IT related courses as there would be no Mismatch so can you guys send me the list of few IT related courses with the College name for 2 year of PG Diploma ,so that I can dig in further by visiting their Websites

3> Considering my profile,Should I go for MBA from TRU and VIU as I have heard that they are of low Grades plus costly as well. I am NOT looking for Top Notch Univ for MBA as they are way expensive and requires GMAT too.

H

HBK

Jyoti Nai said:
Hi....Vivek...
I am new to this forum and I am also facing same problem as you.
I have completed my BE-EC from Gujarat University with 77.6% and scored 7 in IELTS....I applied In Humber for Wireless Telecommunications(8 months).I have rcd an offer letter and due date for 1st sem fees is 27th June.Now I wanna know if after the completion of this course, can I apply in university for masters program......In that case how many years of work permit will I get???
I did not apply in university because I had heard that it is difficult to get visas in Uni. whereas for spp colleges Visa Ratio are high.....
Kindly revert me as soon as possible...
1 year PG + Master = 3year work permit.
chances are same under SPP/GENERIC/UNIVERSITY.

Your consultant saying you can't get admission in university because he can't get commission from university. :p :p

H

HBK

mayank_6 said:
@ Thanks Harry for praising.

Can any tell me that after 2 year of PG Diploma, Should i apply for CEC or FSW . Which ones is more favorable for International students and take less time in getting processed ??
(1) PNP
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp
(2)CEC

whichever is suitable to you.

Also Reply to my below Posted Query , I am Re-posting the few major points :

2> I know I should go for IT related courses as there would be no Mismatch so can you guys send me the list of few IT related courses with the College name for 2 year of PG Diploma ,so that I can dig in further by visiting their Websites

sorry i am not from same background

if you are not ready to give GMAT then you can consider. Yes those university who waives GMAT and work experience are low grade university