+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for clarity on sponsorship (who to include & exclude)

mikasingh

Jun 27, 2014
Hello-

I have a little bit of a unique situation. I am naturalized Canadian citizen presently in US. I am about to apply for my wife and child (6 months old) who are both UK citizens. But I just read that my child would be Canadian by birth since I was a citizen when the child was born.

So who do I sponsor when I send my application ? Just my wife ? What details do I fill for dependent - I am concerned sending in application excluding my daughter and putting her UK details might create confusion and delay my wife's application ?

For my child I understand that I need to apply for Naturalization certificate and then get passport (2 yr emergency if I need) so I am clear on that one.

Any details will be greatly appreciated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Your situation is not unique; it's fairly common.

You sponsor only your wife.

You don't fill in any dependent details. This will not cause confusion or delays; your child is Canadian and therefore cannot be included as a dependent.

To clarify, she is not a naturalized Canadian; she was born a citizen. You need to apply for her Certificate of Citizenship. You can apply concurrently for a limited validity passport.