+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Living" in Canada on a tourist visa

Discussion in 'Visitors' started by travel_light, Jun 27, 2009.

  1. Hello,

    I'm new to the board, as I've just started to look into relocating from my current place of residence and found Canada a viable option.

    In fact, I applied for a permanent resident status, but was denied on grounds that I found a bit unsatisfying. According to the Canadian Immigration Official's web site, I should have qualified. But oh well, life goes on and there are always options available.

    Here is my question:

    Is it possible, somehow, to live in Canada for more than the 6 months the visitor visa allows you stay in the country?

    Some background:
    - I live in and am a national of a visa-exempted country
    - I have enough funds to satisfy an official that I can support myself for a 6 month period
    - I have a job in my home country but I can do my work from anywhere in the world (ie. all I need is a laptop and wireless Internet)
    - I would have a home address in my home country

    In other words, I am not in any way looking to exploit the Canadian social system (I think ours is superior or at least equal), I'd just like to live in a fun country with fun people.

    Is it possible to sort of "reset" the traveller status just by flying back to my home country and then coming back again, say, in 10 days? Or would this inevitably lead to awkward interrogations at the border and ultimately in me being denied entry to Canada? I would assume so and from what I've read on this board, Canada lets you stay for 6 months out of the year. So I'd have to spend the other 6 months somewhere else. I understand it is not the smartest thing to try and re-enter again. But apparently it is quite OK to go and "visit" Canada for 6 months every year?

    What other options might I have? I read somewhere on this board that you can actually apply for an extension for the 6 month visitor "visa" (it's not really a visa, is it, since I'm from a visa-exempted country). Would this be an option for me?

    Any help and comments would be much appreciated.
  2. Yes, you can keep applying for extensions, doesn't mean you'd always be approved though. You could also apply for PR again through some program. Lets say when you are in Canada as a visitor and make some connections that you can get somebody to give you a job offer (AEO), you can use that AEO to apply either under the skilled worker program or possibly under a provincial nominee program depending on where you live.
  3. Thanks for your answer, Leon.

    Just one more question: do you (or anyone else reading the board) have any insight to what the requirements for getting an extended visitor visa may be? Sufficient funds to support myself and intention to leave after the visa expires were two that were mentioned before, anything else come to mind? I am not thinking of looking for work in Canada, as my current job is pretty much a perfect fit for me. So apart from work opportunities, are there any other criteria that might affect the decision in granting extensions?

Share This Page