+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living Expenses - Windsor / Detroit Commuters

CanadianInWaiting

Feb 23, 2022
Hello,

I am planning a move to Detroit-Windsor area for work in the coming months on H-1B / Canadian PR as a commuter. I am currently in the northeast US. I have read these forums extensively and found them to be quite helpful but I am looking for someone to connect with who has done this or is currently doing this.

Generally, I am trying to get an estimate for living expenses in Windsor-Detroit area for a family of four assuming a 2 bedroom rental apartment / house in Windsor, maintaining two cars and me commuting to Detroit for work.

One specific question that I have is how does health insurance work for these situations. I assuming we will obtain some kind of family health insurance in Windsor and waive it in the US?

Thanks!

genruab

Star Member
Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hello,

I am planning a move to Detroit-Windsor area for work in the coming months on H-1B / Canadian PR as a commuter. I am currently in the northeast US. I have read these forums extensively and found them to be quite helpful but I am looking for someone to connect with who has done this or is currently doing this.

Generally, I am trying to get an estimate for living expenses in Windsor-Detroit area for a family of four assuming a 2 bedroom rental apartment / house in Windsor, maintaining two cars and me commuting to Detroit for work.

One specific question that I have is how does health insurance work for these situations. I assuming we will obtain some kind of family health insurance in Windsor and waive it in the US?

Thanks!
Hi, did you figure out the situation? Im trying to see if this is a feasible plan. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In terms of healthcare if you drop the US healthcare you will not have coverage for dental, vision, prescription medication, etc. unless your spouse works and has extended benefits through their employer.